none
Service Control Manager - Event ID 7006 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Let me begin by telling you that this just started today at approx 1600 hrs and this error happenes when I restart my Desktop. I am using Win7 Ultimate 64-bit. Here are the details.

Log Name:      System
    Source:        Service Control Manager
    Date:          3/21/2013 8:11:59 PM
    Event ID:      7006
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      2DLGJN1
    Description:
    The ScRegSetValueExW call failed for FailureActions with the following error:
    Access is denied.
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Service Control Manager" Guid="{555908d1-a6d7-4695-8e1e-26931d2012f4}" EventSourceName="Service Control Manager" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="49152">7006</EventID>
        <Version>0</Version>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <Opcode>0</Opcode>
        <Keywords>0x8080000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2013-03-22T01:11:59.510161000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>50420</EventRecordID>
        <Correlation />
        <Execution ProcessID="704" ThreadID="3448" />
        <Channel>System</Channel>
        <Computer>2DLGJN1</Computer>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data Name="param1">ScRegSetValueExW</Data>
        <Data Name="param2">FailureActions</Data>
        <Data Name="param3">%%5</Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

Does anyone have some clue as to why this would just start to happen when I have done nothing to this PC, no modifications, no software loads/uninstalls, no registry hacking, zip; nada.

Any help would be appreciated. Ever since I installed this 64-bit edition of this software, I have been plagued by mysterious errors. I decided to go from a 32-bit version to a 64-bit version. ALso added 4GB of more RAM. I wanted a faster PC. I never had these issues until I did this OS install. Almost wish I hadn't done it. But it is a challange and I do like solving problems. Each time, I learn a little more.

Thanks,Doug Shreve

Friday, March 22, 2013 1:34 AM

Answers

• Doug

Do you by chance have AVG?  http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-performance/scregvaluexw-event-id-7006-error-access-denied/a0958a66-708c-4810-81a1-094a44a60b18?msgId=7abe3d08-d38d-4fa8-87d3-2e664edd873c

http://forums.avg.com/us-en/avg-forums?sec=thread&act=show&id=217689

Wanikiya & Dyami -Team-ZigZag. www.ZigZag3143.com email Admin@zigzag3143.com

Friday, March 22, 2013 2:27 AM
  • Hi Everyone,

I found the solution for this problem, at leastst in my case. I use AVG Antivirus 2013. I went to Options/Advanced Settings and turned off " AVG Self Protection". I realized that the timing of when this event started was when I installed AVG 2013 Antivirus. I sent a snapshot of the error details to them and they immediately replied with the 'work around'. They are working on a solution to the problem - look for a patch sometime soon -

Doug Shreve

• Marked as answer by Doug Shreve Friday, March 22, 2013 10:54 PM
    Friday, March 22, 2013 10:54 PM

All replies

• Doug

Do you by chance have AVG?  http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-performance/scregvaluexw-event-id-7006-error-access-denied/a0958a66-708c-4810-81a1-094a44a60b18?msgId=7abe3d08-d38d-4fa8-87d3-2e664edd873c

http://forums.avg.com/us-en/avg-forums?sec=thread&act=show&id=217689

Friday, March 22, 2013 2:27 AM
  • Hi Everyone,

I found the solution for this problem, at leastst in my case. I use AVG Antivirus 2013. I went to Options/Advanced Settings and turned off " AVG Self Protection". I realized that the timing of when this event started was when I installed AVG 2013 Antivirus. I sent a snapshot of the error details to them and they immediately replied with the 'work around'. They are working on a solution to the problem - look for a patch sometime soon -

Doug Shreve

• Marked as answer by Doug Shreve Friday, March 22, 2013 10:54 PM
    Friday, March 22, 2013 10:54 PM
  • Geez, I didn't see this port. IF I had, I would have found the solution much sooner. However, I did find it. I want to thank you for your suggestion and your quick reply.
    Friday, March 22, 2013 10:56 PM
  • Doug

Glad you are working.  Great Job

No worries.  After 10,000+ BSODS I have developed a "nose" for them.  BWT I did get your files.

Saturday, March 23, 2013 4:21 PM
  • Hi Doug,

Thanks for sharing. We really appreciate your time and efforts. Hope your experience will help other community members facing similar problems.

Regards,

Vincent Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, March 25, 2013 3:04 AM
  • This is still an ongoing issue, with AVG AntiVirus 2013.

Had it occur on a client system, which caused their SQL connections to go down until restart.

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 6:51 PM
  • What if the PC has never had AVG installed on it could there be something else that can cause this issue?
    Thursday, February 27, 2014 3:42 PM
  • What if the PC has never had AVG installed on it could there be something else that can cause this issue?

Hi, sorry to bump an old thread but I have this error and don't have AVG on this machine - and never have had that I can remember.  PC (Windows 7) suddenly started booting up much slower a few days ago and noticed this error in the log, not sure if the two events are linked.

Also getting Event ID 3002 Microsoft Antimalware Real-Time Protection error has encountered an error and failed

Tuesday, March 17, 2015 10:09 AM
  • Hi,

Like Charlietbh :

• I have this error and don't have AVG on this machine. 
    • Also getting Event ID 3002 Microsoft Antimalware Real-Time Protection error has encountered an error and failed

gmm128

Saturday, March 21, 2015 10:10 AM
  • Hi gmm128, I am sorry to hear that you're getting this error. Let me begin by asking you what kind of antivirus you are running. Secondly, there seems to be a fairly common problem where someone is using an antivirus program in conjunction with trying to use Windows defender or Microsoft security essentials. What updates, if any did you install right before this started? Doug
    Saturday, March 21, 2015 12:59 PM
  • Hi Charlie, I am sorry to hear that you're getting this error. Let me begin by asking you what kind of antivirus you are running. Secondly, there seems to be a fairly common problem where someone is using an antivirus program in conjunction with trying to use Windows defender or Microsoft security essentials. What updates if any did you install just prior to your PC running slow? Just to be sure, go into The control panel/administrative tools/services and find Windows defender. By default it should start "manually". If you are not using that, set the start up type to "disabled".

• Edited by Doug Shreve Saturday, March 21, 2015 1:07 PM
    Saturday, March 21, 2015 1:00 PM
  • Hi Doug, and thank you for your help.
    As far as antivirus is concerned I'm using MS security essentials and that's it.
    Regarding updates, I didn't intervene : le last big change came from on march the 11th with 2 more on march the 18th.
    And in fact I don't really know if the event ID 7006 appeared then or before.  

gmm128

Saturday, March 21, 2015 1:37 PM
  • Well, before we get into the individual updates I suggest that you go into the services and change the windows defender from a manual start to disabled. You can manually generate the error that you're getting by trying to start that service. Try this, going to Control Panel/administrative tools/services, find Windows defender and try to start the service. It will fail. Take a look at your administrative laws to verify that. Again, just change the start up type on windows defender to "disabled" Microsoft security essentials does a good job of virus protection and malware protection so you really don't need Windows defender if you're using Microsoft security essentials. If this does not get rid of the pesky little Problem and you will have to go into control panel/programs and features and look at it installed updates. You will have to uninstall them one at a time until your machine is back to "normal". But I don't think you will wind up having to do this. Try this, I think it should work. Good luck!
    Saturday, March 21, 2015 1:55 PM
  • Hello to everyone,

I have exactly the same error messages recorded in event viewer that Charlietbh has mentioned and I use only MS Security Essentials. I have tried disabling the Windows Defender Service but it didn't solve the problem. The messages keep poping almost everytime I restart my computer. I also noticed that the same thing is happening on two other laptops I had the chance to examine. I suppose it has something to do with a security update provided by Microsoft the last couple of months. But I don't suppose it is a solution to start uninstalling them one by one until things get back to normal. I have to believe that since these updates were released for security reasons, are important for the system, regardless of the problems they might have caused. Propably, they tried to fix one thing and they broke another. Anyway, the problem might not be as serious as someone may think when he first notises it, but it is surely annoying and Microsoft must release a fix. Until then, it would be nice if someone could propose a workaround.

Sunday, March 22, 2015 6:33 PM
  • I have the same event 7006 while starting the PC. I also use Microsoft Security Essentials. Unlike others the event does not pop-up with each boot. It started 12 Feb 2015 and occurred 14 times since then. Sometimes multiple event on one day, where I might have booted more than once. The last weeks once a week in average. I start the PC almost daily and always shut down completely (I don´t use hibernate or sleep mode). The event occurs in pairs with the following 2 descriptions:

1: The ScRegSetValueExW call failed for Start with the following error:
    Access is denied.

2: The ScRegSetValueExW call failed for FailureCommand with the following error:
    Access is denied.

I don´t have event 3002 occurring too.

Sunday, March 22, 2015 11:07 PM
  • I've been getting this too, just since recent MS updates. Also running MSSE. Haven't tried disabling Windows Defender yet; it's on manual and hasn't been started, so I don't see how disabling it could help. Any other workarounds?

• Proposed as answer by rcflyer1938 Tuesday, March 31, 2015 9:33 PM
    Saturday, March 28, 2015 8:56 PM
  • I have experienced the above 7006 & 3002. as noted above, on 3 new Win 7-64 computers I build in the last 6 months.  Only installed MSE on all three.  I have come up with a solution, if at least temporary to eliminate the event log problems.

1.  Go to Services and change Windows Defender to: Disabled.

2.  Download "Appremoval" from OPSWAP Gears.  Run "Appremoval" for MSE.

3.  Go to "C" - Program Data - Microsoft - Microsoft Security Client - Support - And "delete all entries".

4.  Reload MSE.

5.  Update

You should now be good to go without any further event entries of 7006 and 3002. 

I believe the key is the total removal of MSE by "Appremoval" giving you a clean slate to start off with.

It sure worked on all three of my computers running Win 7-64. 

Tuesday, March 31, 2015 9:53 PM
  • I have to retract by above work around.  Everything was fine for 3 days, and then both the 7006 & 3002 event errors came back on all three computers.  I am back to square one, hoping Microsoft will issue a solution in the upcoming April updates. 
    Monday, April 6, 2015 3:43 PM
  • Just downloaded the April updates from Microsoft, and the 7006 & 3002 event problems are still with us.  It now occurs on every boot-up on three Win 7-64 computers.  Very disappointed in Microsoft for not addressing this problem, especially since it is so prevalent.

Tuesday, April 14, 2015 6:44 PM
  • We also have several computers (20+) with this issue which started after the installation of SCEP 4.7.209.0.

I also hope Microsoft could provide us with a fix which can be easily deployed on the network.

Wednesday, April 15, 2015 9:40 AM
  • OPSWAT seems to have an agenda of its own. It doesn't just let you uninstall an app it wants to run the whole show. It finds 'infections' then doesn't give you a way to remove them...thats nice. On top of that the 'infections' are shown to be benign in Virus Total and other listings. It installs itself without asking or giving you the user an option as to where to put it. IMO I find this highly questionable. One glaring thing that stands out to me is why would a user need to run an 'app' to uninstall when there are so many good ones ( Revo-CCleaner,etc) out there and the built in Windows Program and Features does nicely on its own too. Uninstalling MSE means you have to go through all the updates again so you're back to square one. If indeed it is an update error to start with.

One thing I have found if MSE is giving trouble is to go to your OS directory and find and delete this:

DELELETE the EppOobe.etl File
    (Reference Path) C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Microsoft Security Client\Support\EppOobe.etl

then reboot.

Tuesday, June 9, 2015 8:51 AM
  • Hello all, any update on this Event ID 7006?  I started getting this error around May 2nd and it happens three to four times every time my system boots.

I am running MSE.  Windows Defender is not running and was already set to manual and I have since just disabled it.  I am not running any other 

As well, on May 8th, 2015 I started tracking Event ID 3002:

"Microsoft Antimalware Real-Time Protection feature has encountered an error and failed.
      Feature: Network Inspection System
      Error Code: 0x80070005
      Error description: Access is denied. 
      Reason: The system is missing updates that are required for running Network Inspection System.  Install the required updates and restart the computer."
    Tuesday, June 16, 2015 12:22 PM
  • One thing I have found if MSE is giving trouble is to go to your OS directory and find and delete this:

''DELELETE the EppOobe.etl File''

(Reference Path) C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Microsoft Security Client\Support\EppOobe.etl

then reboot.

My experience is sometimes M$ updates causes a conflict with MSE and you get that error I have found that deleting the EppOobe.etl in the support MSE M$ file then rebooting stops the error. As far as a permanent fix is probably not forthcoming what with 10 being released next month. I monitor Event Viewer daily and it seems right after an update (not all mind you) I get the Event ID 7006. I have a utiliy from SevenForums (it auto runs a DOS CMD) that erases the backlog of events so I can keep an eye on any new events. I run that then do the above reboot and the 7006 and related errors in Event Viewer are no longer showing. I spent a day when I first used the utility going through event error logs one at a time til I had a clean slate on reboot.

Wednesday, June 17, 2015 11:16 AM