none
Biztalk 2010 Admin Console connecting to TLS1.2 SQL Server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All

Does anyone know if BizTalk 2010 Admin console can connect to a BizTalk backend SQL Server which only has TLS1.2 enabled?

A user has SQL and BizTalk installed in their local machine which has recently had old TLS protocols disabled and now only has TLS1.2 enabled.

When they try to connect to the local BizTalk instance in BT Admin console they receive an error stating 'Internal error from OLEDB provider: DBNETLIB ConnectionOpen SSL security error.

I temporarily enabled TLS1.0 again (server side) on the users machine and it resolved the issue.

Do I need to upgrade the OLEDB provider to a later version which supports TLS1.2 perhaps?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Phil

Wednesday, November 13, 2019 4:40 PM

All replies

• Yes, it is possible, see the following on the Codit site

BizTalk Server 2010 and support for TLS 1.2 

Wednesday, November 13, 2019 8:15 PM
  • Thanks for your reply Colin, I'll check out the link..
    Friday, November 15, 2019 5:43 PM
  • TLS 1.2 connections with WCF adapter may work with .NET 4.5.2 and appropriate .NET registry settings and System settings for TLS 1.2. But BizTalk admin console may still use legacy OleDb which only supports TLS 1.0 so this part may not be possible. 

Support was added for BizTalk 2013, 2013 R2 and 2016 with this update:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4091110/support-for-tls-1-2-protocol-in-biztalk-server

BizTalk 2010 was out of mainstream support at this stage and were originally set to work with .NET 4.0 which didn't have TLS 1.2 support as well. 

So you need to use TLS 1.0 for Admin console operations until you have upgraded to later BizTalk version. 

Friday, December 6, 2019 2:51 PM