none
Windows Search changes in Server 2019 RDS RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

So nothing like being on the cutting edge......

I have been testing Server 2019 RDS and so-far-so-good apart from an issue with the Windows Search Service.

It appears that in Server 2019 each user gets their own search database EDB file in their profile path (appdata\roaming). e.g.

C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\S-1-5-21-3901271148-1553943383-1671037523-1629\S-1-5-21-3901271148-1553943383-1671037523-1629.edb

When they log on and log off; this is connected to the search service and the following event log is generated

Source:ESENT
    EventID: 326
    SearchIndexer (10896,D,50) S-1-5-21-3901271148-1553943383-1671037523-1629: The database engine attached a database (3, C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\S-1-5-21-3901271148-1553943383-1671037523-1629\S-1-5-21-3901271148-1553943383-1671037523-1629.edb). (Time=0 seconds)

Unfortunately it appears that this process is not very stable and on some logons the database in the users profile does not attach and the following error is generated

Source:Search
    EventID: 3057
    The plug-in manager <Search.TripoliIndexer> cannot be initialized.
    Context: S-1-5-21-3901271148-1553943383-1671037523-1629 Application

Source:Search
    EventID: 3028
    The gatherer object cannot be initialized.
    Context: S-1-5-21-3901271148-1553943383-1671037523-1629 Application, SystemIndex Catalog
    Details: The specified object cannot be found. Specify the name of an existing object.  (HRESULT : 0x80040d06) (0x80040d06)

And a few more similar but related errors....

No subsequent logon/off will succeed in attaching the database until the Windows Search service is restarted

I am not testing with User Profile Disks or Roaming Profiles
    There is no AV on the server

Any ideas?

Andy

Andrew

• Edited by andyoakeley Thursday, December 6, 2018 10:18 AM
    Thursday, December 6, 2018 9:54 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your post in our forum.

As your description and the event, the error looks like be related to the SQL server.

Have you checked the services if all the services related to the SQL is running normally?

And, could you please tell me about the issue more detailed? such as a screenshot.

Looking forwarding to your reply.

Thanks again for your understanding and support.

Best Regards,

Otto 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, December 7, 2018 5:48 AM
  • Hi,

There is no SQL server.

The edb file is the Windows Search database.

Are you familiar with the changes in Windows Search in Server 2019 or are you just taking a stab in the dark?

Ta

Andy

Andrew

Friday, December 7, 2018 8:00 AM
  • > could you please tell me about the issue more detailed?

The issue in detail is that Windows Search fails to work for users; as the search database that is now contained in the user profiles for each user sometimes fails to mount.

This is evident in the event logs in my original post This behavior is different in Windows Server 2019 to earlier versions of Windows Server. In earlier versions of Windows Server there was a single instance of the search database for all users.

In Server 2019 it appears that each user has their own instance of the search database which is attached to the windows Search Service when the user logs on. When the search database for the user fails to mount Windows Search (e.g. Search in Windows Explorer or Search in Outlook Cached Mode) does not work for that user.

As already explained, restarting the Windows Search Service resolves the issue for a short time, but is not a feasible solution with users logging on and off the RD Session Hosts all the time.

I hope this helps you understand the problem.

The event log entries in my original post give an example of when a logon is processed correctly and the search database is correctly attached, and also when it does not attach correctly.

Andrew

Andrew

• Edited by andyoakeley Friday, December 7, 2018 8:23 AM
    Friday, December 7, 2018 8:22 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your question. I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Best Regards,

Otto

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 10, 2018 5:48 AM
  • Hi Otto

Were you able to get any further information about this?

Andrew

Andrew

Friday, January 11, 2019 2:22 AM
  • Hello Otto, 

we also got a customer with the same problem. users notified me that they get a message after login ; the profiele was not correctly synchronized de last time.  

we activated the windows search service today because users notified me that outlook search results were not compleet.  ( the feature search was installed on the server) 

the customer uses a RDS 2019 server session based without profile disks.. the users are have RDS profiels configured in the AD. 

restarting the search service did not solve the problem.  

when i go browse to the folder note in the warning message i got the message that the folder is not accessable but can go futher after entering the admin credentials.  After this the user is having full permissions on the folder and the problem is gone. 

it is a big job to do this on every folder...  but i want the know the cause of this issue.  it looks like the windows search service create a directory within the appdata\roaming folder with wrong or other permissions. 

did you get any further with this issue ? 

grtz

Tuesday, January 15, 2019 9:30 PM
  • I have similar issues with search in server 2019 and outlook constantly stops working due windows search breaks access to ost file.

Fow now had to disable windows search and all works fine (We have fast m.2 so search still works fast.)

Wednesday, January 16, 2019 7:14 AM
  • I have not found a resolution for this yet.

I am going to see if User Profile Disks resolves the issue.

UPD and Windows Search were definitely incompatible in Server 2016, due to the centralized Search Database. when the UPD was mounted and dis-mounted it would cause the indexer to re-index everything again from scratch. 

Maybe in 2019 with the decentralized nature of windows search (Database in the user profile) it may now work with UPD.

Andrew

Wednesday, January 16, 2019 11:56 PM
  • Hello Andrew, 

still i'm struggling with the search edb wich is stored in the Appdata\romaing\microsoft\search\data\application\S-1-5-21-########     folder. 

because the search service is putting certain security permissions on this folder, the user account isn't able to open the folder and when logging off , the server is not able to copy this folder to the ts-profile share.

did you test the UPD option ?  

did you find a way to define the central search database instead of each user a own database ? 

Greetings

Bram Puts

Tuesday, January 29, 2019 9:53 AM

• did you test the UPD option ?  

Bram Puts

I have just tested the UPD option and the indexer failed to mount the user search index database on the second logon after the UPD was created.

This was a brand new test user, no old roaming profile, brand new UPD deployment on test server.

Logged on. UPD was created. Logged off. Logged back on again.

Immediately received EVENTID 3057 and 3028 (see original post) and Windows Search was not available for that user.

So seems that UPD's are a non starter with Windows Search. As they were with Server 2016, but that was for a different reason.

I am not aware of any way to have Server 2019 revert to a single centralised search database. But to be fair I have looked very hard at that option.

Andrew

Tuesday, January 29, 2019 11:38 AM
  • Andrew, 

Now we also experiencing the problem that the windows search service is starting and stopping continuously. 

i did some research on 2019 server , but i cannot find any article that discribes the changes that were made with the search service since 2016 server. 

Microsoft is not responding to this issue. i had hoped they came with an explanation or a statement why this has changed since 2016 server.  

Other issue i had today; try to add a FONT to the server, so every user can use this Font
    when you now ADD a font, it is only added to the user account that installed the Font , not for all users.  if you go to the windows\Font folder and take a look to the just installed font, it's location is %username%\appdata\local\microsoft\windows\fonts\       
    other users on this remote desktop server cannot reach/see this TTF Font file , so it dows not show up in Word/excel or other program's.

i also get more users that reporting they need to change their default printer even when pritermapping is turned off within the RDP-Icon.  this is also happening with the default program's such as the webbrowser, they configure Google Chrome and the day after they need to change is again. 

Why does Microsoft storing more stuff in the user profile ?  I'm almost considering to disable the roaming terminal server profiles because all these issues.  it gives me more stress than hapiness. 

Greetings 

Bram Puts

• Edited by Bram Puts Tuesday, January 29, 2019 1:42 PM
    Tuesday, January 29, 2019 1:39 PM
  • Andrew, 

Now we also experiencing the problem that the windows search service is starting and stopping continuously. 

i did some research on 2019 server , but i cannot find any article that discribes the changes that were made with the search service since 2016 server. 

Microsoft is not responding to this issue. i had hoped they came with an explanation or a statement why this has changed since 2016 server.  

I'm almost considering to disable the roaming terminal server profiles because all these issues.  it gives me more stress than hapiness. 

Greetings 

Bram Puts

Disabling roaming profiles does not resolve the search issues. My original post was WITHOUT roaming profiles or UPD.

I understand Microsoft official response is that Windows Search is not an enterprise feature and should not be used on a RDS Host. So I am not holding my breath that anything will change.

Andrew

Tuesday, January 29, 2019 1:43 PM
  • so if windows search is not a enterprise feature.... how do users do a quick search within outlook ? 

when the search service is turned off the users are getting the notification when they try to search in outlook  "the windows search service is not active" .  so outlook needs the windows search service but it should not be used on a RDS HOST ??!?!? 

what are the microsoft best practices about the windows search service ? or searching/indexing in global ? 

greetings Bram

Tuesday, January 29, 2019 2:29 PM
  • so if windows search is not a enterprise feature.... how do users do a quick search within outlook ? 

when the search service is turned off the users are getting the notification when they try to search in outlook  "the windows search service is not active" .  so outlook needs the windows search service but it should not be used on a RDS HOST ??!?!? 

what are the microsoft best practices about the windows search service ? or searching/indexing in global ? 

greetings Bram

No idea. But I expect we will see more action in this space as more people deploy 2019 RDS and come across these issues. As I do not have a solution for this issue I have put my 2019 RDS project on the back burner for now and will revive it when I can see a way forward.

I will cease chit-chat in this thread unless I have technical information to add, but will continue to monitor it and may re-engage down the track.

Andrew

Wednesday, January 30, 2019 12:02 AM
  • We have exactly the same problem.

The problem is that the map has restricted rights

When the user log offs he get an error with profile. When we stop the Windows search service en throw the directory in search directory away then the error is gone but the user can not seach anymore. We have temporary disabled the service so that the user gets no error.

We are using roaming profiles and no UDP disk and RDS 2019 server.

Tuesday, February 26, 2019 11:08 AM
  • We are also currently experiencing this issue.  I turned around and disabled the Search service as a workaround but would like to keep it on. 

Anyone else have any updates? Microsoft? 

Tuesday, March 19, 2019 2:03 PM
  • I am here researching 2019 RDSH tech involving search and user profile disks in hope that Microsoft has fixed the problem with users on UPD's not being able to search effectively because of the centralized nature of 2016 and lower windows search. 

These bugs are scary so I'm watching this thread to see if there is any kind of fix for the above issues before roll out.

Microsoft?

• Edited by Travis LL Wednesday, March 27, 2019 2:25 PM
    Wednesday, March 27, 2019 2:24 PM
  • Hi same issue here.

RDS 2019 with roaming profile. search service crashes and i get roaming profile sync issue at logoff.

so what the deal with creating each user a search db and placing it in the roaming profile part?!

its insane! it will make the roaming part HUGE!

o_O

Sean

Wednesday, April 10, 2019 12:33 PM
  • btw a temp hack to bypass the sync issue is to add the RDS users this key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

Data name: ExcludeProfileDirs
    Data type: reg_SZ
    Data value: AppData\Local;AppData\LocalLow;$Recycle.Bin;OneDrive;Work Folders;AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications

basically i just added: AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications 
    and it excluded it from roaming and ending the sync issues. also i didnt see the service crash again.

best,

Sean

Wednesday, April 10, 2019 1:05 PM
  • btw a temp hack to bypass the sync issue is to add the RDS users this key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

Data name: ExcludeProfileDirs
    Data type: reg_SZ
    Data value: AppData\Local;AppData\LocalLow;$Recycle.Bin;OneDrive;Work Folders;AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications

basically i just added: AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications 
    and it excluded it from roaming and ending the sync issues. also i didn't see the service crash again.

best,

Sean

That's a neat resolution in a single server environment

Andrew

Thursday, May 2, 2019 2:54 AM
  • For anyone who would be concerned, this behaviour is not only occuring when using roaming profiles, it also occures when using mandatory profiles. I'm seeing the same bahaviour. Off course disabling Windows Search in a terminal server enviroment is a no go area, as people have to search within their outlook... using cached mode is not an option.

Tuesday, June 25, 2019 8:18 PM