none
SharePoint 2016 on-premises real-time co-authoring RRS feed

Answers

All replies

• Yes it does! The article below goes into some of the details. If you've done this before you're probably already aware, but you need to have a version of Office which supports this and the file needs to be stored in SharePoint:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Document-collaboration-and-co-authoring-EE1509B4-1F6E-401E-B04A-782D26F564A4?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US#__toc254365471

Wednesday, May 25, 2016 9:07 AM
  • HI,

Here you go

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Document-collaboration-and-co-authoring-ee1509b4-1f6e-401e-b04a-782d26f564a4

Please remember to click 'Mark as Answer' on the answer if it helps you

Thursday, May 26, 2016 10:31 PM
  • The article said : "For real-time co-authoring, the document does have to be in the cloud, so it works with OneDrive or SharePoint Online, but not SharePoint server."

So it's possible or not ? I can't do realtime on my on premise SharePoint 2016 server. Do I need to configure something to make it works ?

Thanks.

Tuesday, April 25, 2017 10:09 AM
  • No it does not: "Please note that SharePoint On-Premises sites (sites that are not hosted by Microsoft), do not support co-authoring." 

For example, Excel: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Collaborate-on-Excel-workbooks-at-the-same-time-with-co-authoring-7152aa8b-b791-414c-a3bb-3024e46fb104?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

Wednesday, June 21, 2017 2:30 PM
  • There seems to be a lot of confusion regarding this topic and erroneous answers have been marked as the 'solution'. So to quote directly from https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Collaborate-on-Excel-workbooks-at-the-same-time-with-co-authoring-7152aa8b-b791-414c-a3bb-3024e46fb104?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

"Please note that SharePoint On-Premises sites (sites that are not hosted by Microsoft), do not support co-authoring."

This was lifted directly from the article above.

• Proposed as answer by ili101 Sunday, July 16, 2017 5:05 PM
    Wednesday, June 21, 2017 2:33 PM
  • Word and PowerPoint support co-authoring with SharePoint 2016.  Excel doesn't support co-authoring with SharePoint 2016.

- Troy Starr [MSFT]

• Proposed as answer by ADNewsom Friday, March 9, 2018 2:04 PM
    Wednesday, June 21, 2017 4:40 PM
  • Troy-

Do you mean Word and PP support *realtime* coauthoring with SharePoint 2016?  Because I don't see that functionality.  I do see it in the MS cloud, or of course Google Docs.

I'm talking about character by character updates as well as flagged cursor location.  I have not seen this work yet with SharePoint 2016 On-Premises, and remarkably little information about it on the interweb.

Friday, August 25, 2017 3:47 AM
  • Hi Jeremy, the Office clients and servers/services support different levels of coauthoring.  SharePoint Server supports basic coauthoring where multiple people can view and edit the same Word and PowerPoint document at the same time, but you don't see each other's character-by-character updates in real-time.  You'll see indications that others have made changes to the document when they save their changes to the server, and you can sync down their updates as well as save your updates to the server.  See https://technet.microsoft.com/library/ff718249.aspx for details.

The more advanced coauthoring functionality where you see each other's updates in real-time requires SharePoint Online.

- Troy Starr [MSFT]

Tuesday, August 29, 2017 2:53 AM
  • so here's a good question: WHY? Why can realtime coauth not be set up on a server that's on-premises, but it can be on a server that's off-site? What's the difference? Is Microsoft simply using it as incentive to get people to upgrade to the cloud editions? Are there any plans to support those who don't want to do that? Seriously, this is frustrating and baffling that such a major thing would be withheld for apparently no good reason.

• Edited by planetarian Monday, January 22, 2018 5:52 PM
    Monday, January 22, 2018 5:51 PM
  • In fact, you can have Real-Time coauthoring in On-Premises, enabling Office Online Server.

No necessary to go to the cloud for this one, but keep in mind the Microsoft philosophy: Cloud First.

So cloud will be ALWAYS quite more evolved than on-premises. We can be grateful they did'n adopted the "Only on cloud" philosophy (not yet). SharePoint 2019 will have a lot of enhancements directly from cloud...

Tuesday, February 20, 2018 1:21 PM
  • No, you cant.

Even with OOS you can not co-author on Excel files stored in SharePoint 2016 On-Premises.

Kamil Jurik SharePoint Server MVP WBI Systems a.s.

Tuesday, July 10, 2018 7:20 PM
  • ...hold my beer. Excel co-authoring is available in SharePoint 2016 provided you have set up Office Web Apps server. You just open Excel in the browser from sharepoint.

/Warren Goddard

• Edited by shakeydeal Thursday, November 22, 2018 8:06 PM
    Thursday, November 22, 2018 8:01 PM
  • I'd like to clarify, since there are some erroneous answers to this question in the thread, and because I had another request from a group of users just this morning to do this.  I knew I had helped people do it before, but I knew Excel's capability was different than Word.  I couldn't remember the details, so I somehow landed on this thread.

I have three on-premises SharePoint 2013 Enterprise farms that are all bound to a single on-premises Office Web Apps 2013 farm that is enabled for edit mode. I also have three on-premises SharePoint 2016 Enterprise farms that are bound to an on-premises Office Online Server farm that is enabled for edit mode (yes, the OOS farm on-prem, even though Microsoft named their product as if it was in the cloud).

Co-authoring an Excel workbook stored on any of these farms works just fine if you use the Excel web app, but it does not work if you are trying to use the Excel client.  The basic explanation for this is that the web app can facilitate cell-level locking for editing inside Excel workbooks, but the Excel PC client can only lock the entire file for editing.

Of course, your Excel file needs to be one that can be opened by the web app, so it can't have fancy stuff in it like macros or be password protected.  Stick to the KISS principle (Keep It Simple Stupid!), and you'll be in good shape.

If you want to use coauthoring, your SharePoint document library cannot be set to force check out or be setup for content approval; hopefully it's obvious that these functions defeat the purpose of coauthoring.  Find these settings in the Library settings, Versioning settings, Require checkout = No and Content Approval = No.

Set the library to open docs in the web app in Library settings, Advanced settings, Default open behavior for browser-enabled documents = Open in browser).  Different browsers behave differently with this setting, and surprisingly enough IE has been the best with respect to this feature, at least.

Setting up an on-premises OOS farm is super easy, especially if it's just a single server.  It can be done in 30 mins or less.  (The only part about multi-server that makes it slower and a bit more complex is setting up the load balancer addresses, rules, VIPs, etc.) Here's how to do it and to bind your SharePoint 2016 farm to it:

https: //docs.microsoft.com/en-us/officeonlineserver/configure-office-online-server-for-sharepoint-server-2016/configure-office-online-server-for-sharepoint-server-2016

Don't forget to set your OOS farm to edit mode (assuming you're licensed for that): Set-OfficeWebAppsFarm -EditingEnabled:$true

That's pretty much it; not much to it.

I'd need to add that what I characterized as erroneous answers to this question in this thread may actually be accurate statements, if I took them out of context, or if those answers omitted context in their answers.  I would expect problems if I tried to set this up in some kind of hybrid way, like if I had SharePoint on-prem but was trying to use O365 cloud-based apps.  In that case, I'm guessing those comments are right - co-authoring in Excel probably fails spectacularly!

In my case, however, where everything is on-premises, it works great.  Users can go about their business, leaving me to return to my ULS log analysis in peace.  ;-)

Thursday, February 7, 2019 11:33 PM
  • BCBartlett:

I want to make sure I understand your reply in it's entirety. 

1) This is your first post since 2009.

2) You changed your username right before posting this answer.

3) You reference 'another request from a group of users' but please refer to #1

4) You have 6 'farms' of unknown composition other than SP2013 Enterprise and SP2016 Enterprise? 

Friday, February 8, 2019 3:58 PM