none
Multiple Instances of Web App under IE8 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a web app used internally.  Under IE6 some heavy users would open multiple instances of the app to do independant tasks. 

Under IE8 the same program can open only once.  Even when tabs are disabled and the program is opened again, the forground instance passes information to the background windows and the instances do not function independantly.  Essentually only the forground window can be used.

Are there settings I can change so that multiple windows will function independantly?

Wednesday, August 31, 2011 2:38 PM

Answers

• Are there settings I can change so that multiple windows will function independantly? 

Can you simulate your web app with  iexplore.exe (or is it just a skin for iexplore.exe)?   If so, take a look at the command-line switches used when an IE user does  File, New Session

BTW you would probably get more informed ideas from the MSDN forums for IE Development but I'm not even sure which forum you would be best trying first

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/iedevelopment

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

• Marked as answer by Robinson Zhang Tuesday, September 6, 2011 6:00 AM
    Thursday, September 1, 2011 3:49 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi,

According the issue, I suggest that you may try to open this web app with “New session”.

1.       Run IE 8, use Alt button to open Menu.

2.       Click Files, chose “New session” to open a new Window. Then access the web app again.

If the issue persists, please try to contact the software provider to check the problem.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Monday, September 5, 2011 1:29 AM

All replies

• Are there settings I can change so that multiple windows will function independantly? 

Can you simulate your web app with  iexplore.exe (or is it just a skin for iexplore.exe)?   If so, take a look at the command-line switches used when an IE user does  File, New Session

BTW you would probably get more informed ideas from the MSDN forums for IE Development but I'm not even sure which forum you would be best trying first

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/iedevelopment

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, September 1, 2011 3:49 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi,

According the issue, I suggest that you may try to open this web app with “New session”.

1.       Run IE 8, use Alt button to open Menu.

2.       Click Files, chose “New session” to open a new Window. Then access the web app again.

If the issue persists, please try to contact the software provider to check the problem.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Monday, September 5, 2011 1:29 AM