Search in "Settings" does not work RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have 4 laptops and 1 tablet eligible for Windows 10 upgrade and I upgraded them all. 

On one system (Windows 10 Home, upgraded from a Windows 8.1 Home laptop I bought 6 months ago), Search in "Settings" never returned anything, I always got "No results for ...". For example, when I searched for "update", it showed:

On my other 4 systems, they correctly found some items:

At first I thought Windows 10 might have been building index for search, but 4 days after I upgraded to Windows 10 (and I use this computer everyday) it still does not work.

I just went to " Indexing Options" and rebuilt index. After the rebuilding finished, I still get "no results for ...".

Any ideas how to fix this? Thanks.

Tuesday, August 4, 2015 1:29 AM

Answers

• I was able to get mine fixed by following the instructions about indexing in this thread.....

Search Fix

• Proposed as answer by Davidoo1 Saturday, August 8, 2015 2:03 AM
    • Marked as answer by Michael_LS Wednesday, August 19, 2015 1:23 AM
    Saturday, August 8, 2015 2:00 AM

All replies

• Create another User Account and recheck the issue.

S.Sengupta, Windows Experience MVP

Tuesday, August 4, 2015 1:37 AM
  • Thanks for the reply.

I created a new user and switched to it. Apparently the new user does not have this problem, he can search settings and gets some results. I then switch back to my old account, and the old account still has no results.

Tuesday, August 4, 2015 1:57 AM
  •  I guess that answers your question then. Must be something odd about that account, not with the system.

Bill

Tuesday, August 4, 2015 2:13 AM
  • Of course I knew there was something wrong/odd with my account, I was asking how to fix it, so that does not answer my question.

• Edited by El Topo Tuesday, August 4, 2015 6:15 PM
    Tuesday, August 4, 2015 6:13 PM
  • I have this issue also where my Setting search does nothing.  No matter what you put in nothing is found.  I have 10 pro.  I don't want to add another account to my laptop, and as the OP mentioned, we of course know there is something wrong or search would work.  How do you fix it?  This shouldn't be that hard.
    Wednesday, August 5, 2015 12:13 AM
  • Download and run the troubleshooter from this link 

Wednesday, August 5, 2015 12:48 AM

Thanks, but may I ask what that file is? Can you give some more information about it? 
    Wednesday, August 5, 2015 2:25 AM
  • I have this issue also where my Setting search does nothing.  No matter what you put in nothing is found.  I have 10 pro.  I don't want to add another account to my laptop, and as the OP mentioned, we of course know there is something wrong or search would work.  How do you fix it?  This shouldn't be that hard.

My Win10 pro acts correctly, The Win10 pro was a much older system (it's Win7 home premium when I bought it, then I bought Win7 to Win8 Pro upgrade from Microsoft). 

The problematic one is a Win10 Home, it was upgraded from a quite clean Win8.1 home (bought it 5 months ago)

I have a bad feeling that I will have to clean install Win10 to properly fix this problem.

Wednesday, August 5, 2015 2:31 AM

Thanks, but may I ask what that file is? Can you give some more information about it? 

I'm also not in the habit of clicking on and downloading such an odd web address without knowing if it is something that can actually fix the problem of the Search feature not working. 
    Wednesday, August 5, 2015 4:07 AM

This is a fixed and work around an emerging issue. Don't get tensed it's published by Microsoft.

Wednesday, August 5, 2015 8:44 AM
  • Tried this fix tool, along with Microsoft's latest cumulative update. Sadly, both of them did not fix my problem.
    Friday, August 7, 2015 10:02 PM
  • I was able to get mine fixed by following the instructions about indexing in this thread.....

Search Fix

• Proposed as answer by Davidoo1 Saturday, August 8, 2015 2:03 AM
    • Marked as answer by Michael_LS Wednesday, August 19, 2015 1:23 AM
    Saturday, August 8, 2015 2:00 AM