none
FSRM storage report eventually consumes all RAM and then freezes. RRS feed

• Question

• Windows Server 2012 R2, 8GB of RAM.  I used FSRM to run a file classification on about 2TB of data to look for PII (credit cards and SSNs), and now I'm trying to generate a report.  The problem is that there are more than the default max of 100 files to display.  I used the power shell command below to increase that limit:

Set-FsrmSetting –ReportLimitMaxFilesPerPropertyValue 1000000 –PassThru

And now the report will run for about 5 hours, slowly consuming more and more RAM until it's 100% utilized.  At that point FSRM freezes.

AV has been disabled for this test, and the server sits at 20% RAM utilization without the report running.

The folder hierarchy doesn't really allow for the smaller reports to be run, because the structure is like N:\Staff\usernames, where usernames is about 2000 individual users, each with 1 file or less of PII in their folder.  So I would have to run 2,000 individual reports if I went one folder deeper.

Tuesday, May 19, 2020 4:47 PM

All replies

• Hi username432,

According to your description, it seems the system or hardware driver is too heavy load for the FSRM report to run.

As far as I'm concerned, in order to troubleshoot the issue, it's recommended to troubleshoot the system hang issue, and analyze the dump log, maybe we can find the dedicated component that limited for the report to run. 

Below is an example for your reference:

https://www.ibm.com/support/pages/apar/IC59033

(Note, this is a third-party article, since it may change its content without notification, we do not guarantee its security.)

Thanks for your time!

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, May 20, 2020 6:50 AM
  • Hi username432,

I'd like to check if you have any other concerns or questions, if yes, please feel free to feedback.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, May 21, 2020 6:15 AM