none
Favorites dissapear in the second internet explorer tab. RRS feed

• Question

• not sure if i seen this before but here is my question.

Recently we had a person who has a problem using IE 11 and her favorites.

When she opens internet explorer her favorites under the tab works perfectly:

When she opens a second tab her favorites dissapear and are no where to be found:

The odd thing is when choosing the favorites icon on the right top you Always have your favorites. it also doenst matter with tab you are in the favorites work that way.

Any ideas?

Tuesday, May 31, 2016 7:24 AM

Answers

• Hi Scott,

I am uncertain from your reply

"The only thing now is, we have a intranet that youll keep duplicating now. How can i make the second tab blank but still have my favorites? Becaus it keeps opening the primay homepage(like its set in the settings"

whether you mean her homepage settings or her New Tab settings....

It sounds like you have set her primary homepage setting to about:tabs and her tabbed browsing settings to her primary homepage.... so when a new tab is selected (File>New tab (ctrl+t) or then new tab button (on the rhs leaf of the tabs toolbar) it opens the New tab setting (which has been set to her primary homepage, which in turn has been set to about:tabs)....a circular reference to the native about:tabs page....

If my understanding is correct you should

set her primary homepage settings to the URL of your intranet landing page eg. accounting/

set her about:tabs page to "Use a blank page" ("about:blank" is a special protocol, which uses an (almost) empty web page). Here is a screenshot of what I expect you to set her New tab settings to....

that is

"When a new tab is opened:open 'A blank page'"

..alternatively (it is such a trivial issue)...

you could just instruct her to use either the Address bar (with autocomplete turned on for favorites) or the Favorites Center button (shortcut ctrl+shift+i)with the default new tab settings (open new tabs with the New Tabs page (aka. about:tabs)

Settings for "Smart address bar searching" can be found on

Internet Options>Content tab, Autocomplete section>'Settings' button....

Ideally on a domain network you would use Group Policy or Active Directory to configure all of your workstations with the same browser settings, and disabling user configurations via Internet Options.

Regards.

Rob^_^

• Marked as answer by ScottNLD Monday, September 26, 2016 10:18 AM
    Thursday, June 2, 2016 1:03 AM
  • Hi Scott,

"The only thing now is, we have a intranet that youll keep duplicating now. How can i make the second tab blank but still have my favorites? Becaus it keeps opening the primay homepage(like its set in the settings"

It sounds like you have set her primary homepage setting to about:tabs and her tabbed browsing settings to her primary homepage.... so when a new tab is selected (File>New tab (ctrl+t) or then new tab button (on the rhs leaf of the tabs toolbar) it opens the New tab setting (which has been set to her primary homepage, which in turn has been set to about:tabs)....a circular reference to the native about:tabs page....

set her primary homepage settings to the URL of your intranet landing page eg. accounting/

set her about:tabs page to "Use a blank page" ("about:blank" is a special protocol, which uses an (almost) empty web page). Here is a screenshot of what I expect you to set her New tab settings to....

that is

you could just instruct her to use either the Address bar (with autocomplete turned on for favorites) or the Favorites Center button (shortcut ctrl+shift+i)with the default new tab settings (open new tabs with the New Tabs page (aka. about:tabs)

Ideally on a domain network you would use Group Policy or Active Directory to configure all of your workstations with the same browser settings, and disabling user configurations via Internet Options.

Regards.

Rob^_^

Is there a  option to make a gpo of this?
    Monday, June 6, 2016 9:53 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Tools>Internet Options>General tab, Tabbed browsing section, Settings.... change her about:tabs page to either about:blank or her primary homepage setting..... the native about:tabs page is an isolated process and some of the menu options are disabled when it is visible.

Regards.

Rob^_^

Wednesday, June 1, 2016 2:26 AM
  • Rob,

Thanks! Primay Homepage makes the favorites come back in the second tab so thats amazing!

The only thing now is, we have a intranet that youll keep duplicating now. How can i make the second tab blank but still have my favorites? Becaus it keeps opening the primay homepage(like its set in the settings).

• Edited by ScottNLD Wednesday, June 1, 2016 8:43 AM
    Wednesday, June 1, 2016 8:34 AM
  • Hi ScottNLD,

I want to confirm that have you checked the Favorites button on the upper-right corner in the second page? Make sure the Favorite folder works properly.

Have you tried to open the second page in a new window and check the result? If not, please try it.

If the problem still persists, I’m afraid there is something wrong with IE11, you may need to reset it.

Change or reset Internet Explorer settings:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-sg/internet-explorer/reset-ie-settings#ie=ie-11

If reset IE still doesn’t work, try new user account.

Best Regards,

Tao

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, June 1, 2016 12:54 PM
  • Hi Scott,

that is

Regards.

Rob^_^

Thursday, June 2, 2016 1:03 AM
  • Hi Scott,

that is

Regards.

Rob^_^

Is there a  option to make a gpo of this?
    Monday, June 6, 2016 9:53 AM
  • No need anymore i found it. Thanks for the help guys.
    Monday, June 6, 2016 10:35 AM
  • Glad to see you have solved the problem, you can mark the reply and close the case.

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, June 7, 2016 9:52 AM
  • I am searching everywhere for the answer to your question above - how did you fix the issue of no favorites when you open a new tab? Thanks.
    Friday, July 19, 2019 4:49 PM
  • I am searching everywhere for the answer to your question above - how did you fix the issue of no favorites when you open a new tab? Thanks.

Wednesday, October 16, 2019 3:37 PM