none
Microsoft Visio flickers and flashes dark shades RRS feed

• Question

• When I'm working on Visio Professional 2016, and I open contextual menus or hover my mouse over different options and features, the app would start to flicker and flash black shades, that last a second, but are still really annoying to work with.
    Monday, October 21, 2019 3:02 PM

Answers

• Hi Pablo,

What is the version of Visio/Windows you are using? Please make sure you have installed the latest updates for them.

Please make sure your hardware drivers are up-to-date. If updating your drivers doesn’t resolve the issue, we can try this method to check if it’s helpful by clicking File > Options > Advanced > Disable hardware graphics acceleration.

A corrupt temporary file may cause Visio to freeze or crash. You can open File Explorer and go to %userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Visio. Back up these corrupt temporary files. Try to remove them and check for issue in Visio.

You can open Visio in safe mode: Press Windows + R to start Run dialog box, type visio /safe and press Enter to start Visio. Click File > Open to open existing drawings to have a check. You can follow the steps in the article to check if cause add-in is causing the issue.

You can try to repair Visio from Control Panel.

If the issue persists, please close all third-party protection programs (anti-virus software) temporarily and all other needless program to have a check.

Recently, some users reported that their Visio was freezing if hardware keyboard word predictions was enabled in Windows 10 version 1903. If you are using Windows 10 version 1903, please turn "Show Text suggestions as I type" off: Settings > Devices > Typing > Hardware Keyboard> disable Show text suggestions as I type.

You can also log in your computer with other Windows user accounts to check for the issue.

Some third-party software may be interfering with your Visio. A “clean boot” starts Windows with a minimal set of drivers and startup programs, so that you can determine whether a background program is interfering with your game or program. You can perform a clean boot in Windows to narrow down.

If you have any updates or anything unclear, feel free to post back to tell us. I'll be glad to follow up to help you.

Best Regards,

Herb

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to shareexplore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.

Tuesday, October 22, 2019 6:38 AM

All replies

• Hi Pablo,

What is the version of Visio/Windows you are using? Please make sure you have installed the latest updates for them.

Please make sure your hardware drivers are up-to-date. If updating your drivers doesn’t resolve the issue, we can try this method to check if it’s helpful by clicking File > Options > Advanced > Disable hardware graphics acceleration.

A corrupt temporary file may cause Visio to freeze or crash. You can open File Explorer and go to %userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Visio. Back up these corrupt temporary files. Try to remove them and check for issue in Visio.

You can open Visio in safe mode: Press Windows + R to start Run dialog box, type visio /safe and press Enter to start Visio. Click File > Open to open existing drawings to have a check. You can follow the steps in the article to check if cause add-in is causing the issue.

You can try to repair Visio from Control Panel.

If the issue persists, please close all third-party protection programs (anti-virus software) temporarily and all other needless program to have a check.

Recently, some users reported that their Visio was freezing if hardware keyboard word predictions was enabled in Windows 10 version 1903. If you are using Windows 10 version 1903, please turn "Show Text suggestions as I type" off: Settings > Devices > Typing > Hardware Keyboard> disable Show text suggestions as I type.

You can also log in your computer with other Windows user accounts to check for the issue.

Some third-party software may be interfering with your Visio. A “clean boot” starts Windows with a minimal set of drivers and startup programs, so that you can determine whether a background program is interfering with your game or program. You can perform a clean boot in Windows to narrow down.

If you have any updates or anything unclear, feel free to post back to tell us. I'll be glad to follow up to help you.

Best Regards,

Herb

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to shareexplore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.

Tuesday, October 22, 2019 6:38 AM
  • Hi Herb, I disabled hardware graphics acceleration and deleted the temporary files and Visio is running now smoothier and the black shades are gone! Thank you very much, you rock!!
    Saturday, October 26, 2019 4:19 AM