none
SCCM OSD Cant import drivers from UNC location RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I know there are other cases similiar to this but none of them seem to help me..i believe i may have a permissions problem somewhere but im not sure what logs to check or what to give permissions etc..

When i try to import drivers from a location that is on the same server (2003 R2 SP2) I get the following error:

"ConfigMgr cannot import the specified driver folder... verify that the folder exists in the specified location and that both the sms provider computer and the computer running the ConfigMgr console have read permissions to the specified shared folder"

Im pretty sure my sms provider computer "momsvr1" has read permissions to the folder and its also the computer running the console, the account im using "sccmadmin" has permission to the driver folder inherited from the actual drive it sits on? Im stumped as to why it wont work?

It used to be fine but the problems only started after i changed the password i log into sccmadmin with...since then i went through and changed all the component passwords to reflect the new sccmadmin password (network access etc) ...at least i believe i changed all of them, maybe i missed one? I have re-installed Configmgr client to no avail.

appreciate any help

stu

Thursday, June 24, 2010 1:40 AM

Answers

• Turned out it was the drivers themselves that the system didnt like - probably stupid of me but i had to raise it tom MS to figure this out, and even then they took awhile...i had to extract the exe files so the driver scanner could pick up the inf files...pretty average error message though which suggested the problem was something to do with the files share permissions or access account permissions...could have saved alot of stuffing around if this was clearer...

stu

• Marked as answer by mckstu Friday, July 23, 2010 3:43 AM
    Friday, July 23, 2010 3:43 AM

All replies

• What about share permissions?

Have you tried using psexec to connect as momsvr1 to the UNC?

Can you manually connect to the UNC?

Jason | http://myitforum.com/cs2/blogs/jsandys | http://blogs.catapultsystems.com/jsandys/default.aspx | Twitter @JasonSandys
    Thursday, June 24, 2010 2:24 AM
  • ive checked permissions on the share...my "sccmadmin" account has full permissions on the folder its trying to access..not to sure how to use the psexec tool..can you give me an idea of the syntax i could use to connect as momsvr1 to the location?

Also, It seems that i can import drivers from a folder in that same location just fine..its one that i have imported before and not a new driver folder? Could it be a problem with the drivers inside the folder that would throw that error?

Thursday, June 24, 2010 4:29 AM
  • does no one have any ideas about this???? 
    Monday, June 28, 2010 2:33 AM
  • If you use psexec with the -s option to launch a command prompt it will launch that command prompt as the local SYSTEM account. From there you can try to connect to the share using net use.

You can also review the security log on the destination system to see failed login attempts.

Jason | http://myitforum.com/cs2/blogs/jsandys | http://blogs.catapultsystems.com/jsandys/default.aspx | Twitter @JasonSandys
    Monday, June 28, 2010 2:56 AM
  • I will try that...

Today ive received further errors..not sure whats going on...could all this have come about if i have changed my access account password?

the "SMS_SITE_COMPONENT_MANAGER" as well as "Config Mgr component server" are throwing critical errors:

SMS_SITE_COMPONENT_MANAGER

MS Site Component Manager could not access site system "\\SQLSVR2". The operating system reported error 2147942467: The network name cannot be found. 

Possible cause: The site system is turned off, not connected to the network, or not functioning properly.

Solution: Verify that the site system is turned on, connected to the network, and functioning properly.

Possible cause: SMS Site Component Manager does not have sufficient access rights to connect to the site system.

Solution: Verify that the Site Server's computer$ account has administrator rights on the remote site system.

Possible cause: Network problems are preventing SMS Site Component Manager from connecting to the site system.

Solution: Investigate and correct any problems on your network.

Possible cause: You took the site system out of service and do not intend on using it as a site system any more.

Solution: Remove this site system from the list of site systems for this site. The list appears in the Site Systems node of the Administrator console.

Config Mgr component server

SMS Site System Status Summarizer still cannot access storage object "\\SQLSVR2\F$\SMS_MOMSVR1" on site system "\\SQLSVR2". The operating system reported error 2147942467: The network name cannot be found. 

Possible cause: The site system is turned off, not connected to the network, or not functioning properly.

Solution: Verify that the site system is turned on, connected to the network, and functioning properly.

Possible cause: SMS Site System Status Summarizer does not have sufficient access rights to connect to the site system and access the storage object.

Solution: Verify that the Site System Connection accounts are properly configured to allow SMS to connect to the site system and access the storage object.

Possible cause: Nework problems are preventing SMS Site System Status Summarizer from connecting to the site system.

Solution: Investigate and correct any problems on your network.

Possible cause: You took the site system out of service and do not intend on using it as a site system any more.

Solution: Remove the site system from the list of site systems used by this site; this list appears under Site Systems in the SMS Administrator console.

Possible cause: You accidentally deleted the storage object or took the storage object out of service.

Solution: The SMS components will eventually detect that the storage object no longer exists on the site system and will either recreate it or choose a new storage object. Monitor the status messages reported by other SMS components to verify that this occurs properly.

The storage object has been inaccessible since "25/06/2010 6:00:02 PM". When you correct the problem and SMS Site System Status Summarizer successfully accesses the storage object, SMS Site System Status Summarizer will set the storage object's status to OK, providing that the storage object has sufficient free space.

I have my database on SQLSVR2 and configMGR on MOMSVR1...i have tried reinstalling the "configmgr management point" aswell...

any ideas?

stu

Monday, June 28, 2010 7:46 AM
  • Turned out it was the drivers themselves that the system didnt like - probably stupid of me but i had to raise it tom MS to figure this out, and even then they took awhile...i had to extract the exe files so the driver scanner could pick up the inf files...pretty average error message though which suggested the problem was something to do with the files share permissions or access account permissions...could have saved alot of stuffing around if this was clearer...

stu

• Marked as answer by mckstu Friday, July 23, 2010 3:43 AM
    Friday, July 23, 2010 3:43 AM
  • Hi,

I had the same message, and the reason was file with zip extention, after unzip, I can again import my drivers.

Monday, May 21, 2012 1:44 PM
  • Thanks man.. You saved my time...!!

Ram

Thursday, April 16, 2020 7:21 AM