none
Problem printing with all versions of IE from office 365 RRS feed

• Question

• Office 365 support had no solution for this issue. They told me to try here.

Since new Office 365 Ribbon with the "My Apps" square was rolled out.  

Every time we print an office 365 page from IE to our Konica Minolta Bizhub, the printer goes offline-and reboots.  It gets stuck in a "pending" state and all later jobs stall.  Our only solution is to reboot the printers.

It's happens every time and it doesn't matter if it's on our main intranet or from the "Admin" page of Office 365 . Something in the new ribbon is causing our printers to crash.

This does not happen if we use google chrome.

It also seems to only affect a combination of IE (9, 10 and 11 all exhibit the same problem) and the new SharePoint ribbon.  Chrome and Firefox print the pages no problem (our standard is IE).

I had the vendor put the most recent firmware on the printer and tried the most recent vendor drivers.

Monday, March 9, 2015 1:51 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Does this issue happen on other webpages in IE? Or it only crashes when you print from office 365 page?

I suggest you try the following steps:

• Clear IE history\cache\temporary files, Tools\Internet Options\General\Delete...
    • Disable Internet Explorer add-ons, Tools\Manage Add-ons or launch IE via running     

iexplore.exe -extoff

• Reset IE to its default settings (you might lose some IE settings)

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 10, 2015 7:45 AM
  • Every time we print an office 365 page from IE to our Konica Minolta Bizhub, the printer goes offline-and reboots.

The usual workaround for printer problems with IE is to print virtually, e.g. to XPS Document Writer and then see if the resulting .xps file can be printed on the problem printer.  Doing that isolates the problem from IE.  BTW notice that then the OS matters too because in W8.1 the default from that procedure would be .oxps instead.  Supposedly that would be more portable.  E.g. then to further isolate IE from the problem you could transmit the print file to another machine which was attached to the problem printer and see what happens then.  Then to convert that workaround into a solution you would have to know if the printer can support direct .xps or .oxps printing.  If it does you just need to change the driver and thus avoid any other manual intervention in your scenario.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, March 10, 2015 6:01 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Have you tried to add an Office 365 page to the local intranet or trusted sites zone?

Monday, March 9, 2015 5:33 PM
  • Hi,

Does this issue happen on other webpages in IE? Or it only crashes when you print from office 365 page?

I suggest you try the following steps:

• Clear IE history\cache\temporary files, Tools\Internet Options\General\Delete...
    • Disable Internet Explorer add-ons, Tools\Manage Add-ons or launch IE via running     

iexplore.exe -extoff

• Reset IE to its default settings (you might lose some IE settings)

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 10, 2015 7:45 AM
  • Every time we print an office 365 page from IE to our Konica Minolta Bizhub, the printer goes offline-and reboots.

The usual workaround for printer problems with IE is to print virtually, e.g. to XPS Document Writer and then see if the resulting .xps file can be printed on the problem printer.  Doing that isolates the problem from IE.  BTW notice that then the OS matters too because in W8.1 the default from that procedure would be .oxps instead.  Supposedly that would be more portable.  E.g. then to further isolate IE from the problem you could transmit the print file to another machine which was attached to the problem printer and see what happens then.  Then to convert that workaround into a solution you would have to know if the printer can support direct .xps or .oxps printing.  If it does you just need to change the driver and thus avoid any other manual intervention in your scenario.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, March 10, 2015 6:01 PM
    Answerer
  • Printing to XPS from office 365 then send to printer seems to cause that printer to crash also.

It does NOT crash the printer from any other web site.

I stripped down addons and that worked for some users not others. ?#?

The offending addon was an apple iTunes detector class.

I thought I had it - then I found a machine that still crashed the printer with it disabled.

Thursday, March 19, 2015 4:52 PM
  • Printing to XPS from office 365 then send to printer seems to cause that printer to crash also.

Since the file is portable can you print it with a different OS?  Then (assuming it is not the output) the crash would mean that whatever modules are common to IE and the XPS Reader's Print function would contain a probable symptom cause.  BTW are the crashes the same?

The offending addon was an apple iTunes detector class.

found a machine that still crashed the printer with it disabled.

A next step at fault isolation would be to uninstall the suspect.  Sometimes they do more than just install a simple add-on, so disabling it might only leave its hooks still set and still causing sufficient incompatibilities to produce a crash.  Hopefully uninstalling it also undoes whatever it might have done.   ; }

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, March 19, 2015 11:30 PM
    Answerer