none
Hyper-V - hypervisor.cpuid.v0 or hidden state=on equivalent RRS feed

• Question

• KVM (hidden state='on' ) and Vmware(hypervisor.cpuid.v0) both provide a way to hide to the vm, the fact they are virtualized.

I've done:

ExposeVirtualizationExtensions : True

But it doesn't seem to have the same effect. The goal is to pass a nvidia geforce 1080 to a linux vm for the purpose of tensorflow. I've successfully done the passthrough, and it shows in lspci, but nvidia-smi returns "Unable to determine the device handle for GPU". In a windows guest I believe this manifests it's self as error 43. KVM and Vmware handle this by simply hiding that the system is virtualized. This fixes the issue in both windows and ubuntu on either virtualization platform

How can I achieve this with Hyper-V and an Ubuntu guest?

• Edited by rlewkowicz Wednesday, June 19, 2019 2:33 PM Clarification
    Wednesday, June 19, 2019 2:33 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi ,

>> The goal is to pass a nvidia geforce 1080 to a linux vm for the purpose of tensorflow

I am a bit confused about your description. What did you mean tensorflow?

Did you want to know how to pass though GPU devices to VM? If my understanding is wrong ,please feel free to let me know.

As far as I know, Hyper-V doesn't support pass through GPU devices. The nearest solution is RemoteFX.

The RemoteFX vGPU allows render and compute operations in a virtual machine to be hardware accelerated using a physical GPU on the virtualization host. 

However, RemoteFX vGPU is not supported in newest version and then we could use Discrete Device Assignment (DDA).

For your reference:

RemoteFX vGPU put out to pasture as Microsoft RDP grows up

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Plan for Deploying Devices using Discrete Device Assignment

In addition, based on my research, it seems we do not have support for RemoteFX in Linux guests.

For your reference:

Ubuntu and Remotefx

RemoteFX + OpenGL guest support in Windows Server 10 Hyper-V

Best Regards,

Candy

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com   

Thursday, June 20, 2019 2:36 AM
  • Hi ,

Just want to confirm the current situations.

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.                   

Best Regards,

Candy

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com   

Monday, June 24, 2019 8:42 AM
  • Hi ,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful.

Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Candy

Tuesday, June 25, 2019 6:46 AM