none
gmail error in Internet Explorer RRS feed

• Question

• Many users here at NOAA are getting this pop-up "error" message at random times when running gmail in Internet Explorer 8 (required for an in-house app). I think the "error" message is a bogus malware scareware pop-up generated by the gmail scripts to coerce users into installing chrome, but I don't have time to investigate. Here is a screen shot of the error message (by the way, it appears with no delays, and the behavior of IE is not slow at all, in fact the popup occurs yet IE behaves normally in all other windows, but gmail will not do anything until you select a choice in this window).

Response is normal, even fast in some cases. I think this is a bogus message added by google staff to give users the perception of problems with IE. Can anyone capture the script? If I were the IE program manager, I would want to investigate this error for legal ramifications. I think the google hacker culture is at it again, at Microsoft's expense.

Woody

Monday, March 4, 2013 5:49 PM

Answers

• Hi Woody,

the KB article that Vincent gave explains it all.... all google pages include scripts for their Google Plus api's which does much the same as Facebook api's.... looks for 'friends' ....

the KB will tell you how to increase the timeout for the error in IE8.

In later versions of IE you can block unwanted content or scripts.

"

plus.google.com",po:"",pa:"/u/0/_/notifications/frame"

Turning off googles online history or uninstalling the Google toolbar may give better performance...

see http://google.com/history or click the 'Spanner' icon on your Google toolbar>Privacy tab...

Google DO have a policy of only supporting the latest 3 versions of a webbrowser (including Chrome), but its to be expected that they push a browser that is core to their commercial aims.

Regards

Rob^_^

• Marked as answer by wfairley Thursday, March 7, 2013 4:40 PM
    Wednesday, March 6, 2013 6:20 AM

All replies

• For those who cannot view the error message image, the error reads:

"Stop running this script?

A script on this page is causing your web browser to run slowly.

If it continues to run, your computer might become unresponsive."

only actions are Yes (default) No and the close window control (red X in upper right corner of the dialog box).

Woody

Monday, March 4, 2013 5:56 PM
  • You refer to ie8 are you using ie8 ?

Gmail has dropped support for ie8.

Google only supports ie9 and ie10.

Monday, March 4, 2013 6:13 PM
  • Hi,

Its either google plus or facebook connect api's that are enuming the users 'friends' lists or the site (no gmail) has incorrectly added the google urchin tracker api's or google analytics api's to the <head> block.

Regards.

Rob^_^

Tuesday, March 5, 2013 2:34 AM
  • Your statements are correct but not at all helpful. IE8 is what we have to use due to poor development lifecycle strategies, it is what it is. Please read my original post again - I think the message is a bogus message that activates for any "unsupported" browser. Conveniently and in spite of government contracting officer objections, the google staff are also posting links to download and install chrome on computers without authorization aka bypassing group policies and ignoring change control best practices. I think they have lines in their script that pops up this error at random times in order to scare users into clicking the "install chrome" links.

I am simply asking if anyone has the capability of viewing-capturing-sharing the scripts to confirm my speculation, that is all. I could be mistaken.

Woody

Tuesday, March 5, 2013 6:35 PM
  • Thanks Rob, but we are using the standard gmail browser pages with no customization at all except whatever the google staff has done. I may be mistaken, but I think their script checks the browser, then if it is Internet Explorer 8, the script pops up the error message randomly as scareware to coerce our users into clicking the install links for chrome. I just can't capture the script to see for myself, and thought I would query the community of professionals here on the Microsoft forums. Thanks for the suggestion, but it's not what I am seeking.

Woody

Tuesday, March 5, 2013 6:40 PM
  • Hi Woody,

You can also check the following KB:

Error message: "A script on this page is causing Internet Explorer to run slowly"

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/175500

Regards,

Vincent Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 2:54 AM
  • Hi Woody,

the KB article that Vincent gave explains it all.... all google pages include scripts for their Google Plus api's which does much the same as Facebook api's.... looks for 'friends' ....

the KB will tell you how to increase the timeout for the error in IE8.

In later versions of IE you can block unwanted content or scripts.

"

Turning off googles online history or uninstalling the Google toolbar may give better performance...

see http://google.com/history or click the 'Spanner' icon on your Google toolbar>Privacy tab...

Google DO have a policy of only supporting the latest 3 versions of a webbrowser (including Chrome), but its to be expected that they push a browser that is core to their commercial aims.

Regards

Rob^_^

• Marked as answer by wfairley Thursday, March 7, 2013 4:40 PM
    Wednesday, March 6, 2013 6:20 AM
  • Thanks for the support Rob, but this misses my point - IE8 is not slow at any time before or after this message appears. I see how it is possible that one of the google api's may be working in the background on some action, but my point is exactly that: I am speculating that google staff have the gmail pages acting differently in IE8 than in chrome in order to pop up the message, basically using it as scareware to our users, who may then click the "install chrome" button and bypass our desktop security. Well of course these errors never appear in chrome so the users think the problem is "solved".

I will mark your last reply as the answer because you have extended the greatest effort, but I think we will never know the answer unless a google staff member talks.

Woody

Thursday, March 7, 2013 4:40 PM