none
IE11 Server 2012 R2 NetFlix Error RRS feed

• Question

• Okay so I just did a fresh install of Windows Server 2012 R2 (Build 9600) (was running Server 2012) on my system approximately 2 days ago.  After getting all my drivers installed and basic applications I wanted to relax to a show on Netflix.  However, when I attempt to play a video I will see the buffering (different percentages each time) then it will stop suddenly and give the error below.

Whoops, something went wrong... Netflix Video Player Unavailable

Our apologies - we cannot find the right components to play Netflix.

Please ensure your version of Internet Explorer is the latest available.

Error Code: H7354

My first troubleshooting step was to search the internet and found nothing regarding that error code.  I did learn that when using IE11 with Netflix that Silverlight is not used.  However I attempted to install the latest version from http://www.microsoft.com/silverlight (v5).  After doing so I still got the same error, but Netflix would now work in Mozilla FireFox and Google Chrome.

I searched Netflex and found http://download.microsoft.com/download/6/C/9/6C970550-32AB-4235-9CDD-7FC9DD848BBB/silverlight.diagcab which does some repairs on Silverlight.  This did not help.  I have Netflix in my "Trusted Sites" as "*.Netflix.com" as well.  I contacted Netflix support, but they were not able to help with this error and say that this is a Microsoft issue.

I contacted one of Microsoft's Support line who attempted to help me the best they could.  They attempted to remote into my system tried changing several settings, uninstalling and reinstalling Silverlight.  I have a work-around using another browser, but I would rather use Internet Explorer as in the past it works better.  I should probably note that I was running Internet Explorer 10 on my previous Operating System.

Can anyone help?

Note: I posted in this forum based on the recommendation from my original post...
    http://answers.microsoft.com/thread/e35c9127-4e38-4f20-b8a7-c6081c51d60d

Sunday, November 10, 2013 3:58 AM

Answers

• I encountered this during beta as soon as Netflix implemented HTML5 IE11 support. Personally I now just use the Netflix store app, as it works perfectly on Server 2012 R2 and generally doesn't get in my way because I have multiple monitors.  It's not ideal in all situations, but it does "just work" after enabling the Desktop Experience.

That said, during beta I found only one way to make Netflix work in Server 2012 R2's IE11:

1. Install Silverlight (I believe I used the x64 installer last time I did this)

2. Launch IE and browse to Netflix.com.

3. Open the IE Developer Tools via menu or F12.

4. Under the IE Developer Tools, select Emulation, and change your User agent string to "Internet Explorer 10".  Note that you must leave the developer tools open the entire time you are connected to Netflix, or else your agent string will revert back to Internet Explorer 11 automatically.

5. Now the Netflix site detects your browser as IE10, thus the IE11 HTML5 code on the Netflix site is now disabled, and Silverlight support from Netflix has been restored.

If it does not work after performing these steps, you probably have not disabled IE Enhanced Security Configuration within Server Manager. As I recall, you can also get Netflix to work without disabling Enhanced Protection via using Trusted Sites at the medium-high security level, but you must target both *.netflix.com and a *.<something>.com where <something> is the Netflix media steaming servers DNS extracted from their web code.  If you use trusted sites, all critical DNS entries for the remote service must be discovered and added, as data (such as your authentication to remote services) cannot cross between the "Trusted Sites" and "Internet" sites barrier.

In the end I don't know if the true cause of the problem is actually Server 2012 R2's IE11, or something within Netflix's HTML5 code.  It could be either considering the Netflix store app works properly on Server 2012 R2, though for all I know the store app may still rely on Start Screen aspects of Silverlight for its media streaming rather than HTML5.

Devin Lanei

• Edited by Devin Lanei Wednesday, December 4, 2013 3:52 AM
    • Marked as answer by Gamefanatic Wednesday, December 4, 2013 6:31 AM
    Wednesday, December 4, 2013 2:42 AM
  • Okay so that definitely worked.  I know that someone else suggested this previously from my original post, but you led me to the missing link.  You need to add both of the sites below to the trusted sites:

*.nflximg.com
    *.netflix.com

That was the final step!  Thank you Devin!

BTW, I had tried the NetFlix App, but it only worked when I originally installed it.  Shortly after it never would do anything.  Not familiar much with apps, but it didn't appear to have any way to troubleshoot it or give me any indication of what it was doing so I gave up on it.  As well I run into a slew of other issues using UAC that I just don't care to deal with. ;)

• Marked as answer by Gamefanatic Wednesday, December 4, 2013 6:38 AM
    Wednesday, December 4, 2013 6:37 AM

All replies

• Hi,

It seems that you have read the following kb. But I want to conform have you tried all the methods?

Troubleshoot issues running Netflix streaming video in Internet Explorer

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2710013/en-us

If you the methods all not work, you can choose to Silverlight forum for further help.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/silverlight/en-US/home?category=silverlight

Except the issue related Silverlight, there may be other factors caused the issue such us any add-ons.

For more information, please see:

Why won't videos play in Internet Explorer?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/internet-explorer/videos-dont-work#ie=ie-11

Hope this helps,

Ada Liu

Ada Liu
    TechNet Community Support

• Edited by v-Ada Tuesday, November 12, 2013 7:43 AM
    Tuesday, November 12, 2013 7:40 AM
  • Ada,
      Thank you for the response.  It's probably important to note that I am running the Release version of Windows Server 2012 R2 which comes Internet Explorer 11.  As of version 11 Microsoft no longer supports Silverlight in their browser (on the Server OS).  Naturally loading Silverlight v5 on my system does not provide any benefit to my Internet Explorer, but it does to Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome browsers.

Refer to: http://www.microsoft.com/getsilverlight/get-started/install/default.aspx

(Click System Requirements)

At the request of Netflix I did reduce my security and download the desktop app (things I don't use in an enterprise environment) and verified that the desktop app works as well.  I have also attempted to rebuild my profile to ensure it wasn't a previous setting (we use roaming profiles) that was causing an issue.

From doing some searching on the Internet I can find numerous documents stating that Internet Explorer 11 works in Windows 8.1 supposedly using HTML5, but nothing confirming that others have it working with Windows Server 2012 R2.  This may be a case where something isn't included with the Server OS, that is with the Desktop OS which may be causing the issues.

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 2:07 AM
  • Well continuing to work through this problem I loaded a Windows 8.1 in a Hyper-V session on the Server 2012 R2 system I am working with.  Interestingly enough the Netflix works great both with and without Silverlight.  So this does appear to be due to a feature that Server 2012 R2 may be missing natively, or that NetFlix has not handled properly in their coding.  Of course this puts me no further in determining if there is a fix, but I will continue to keep this on the list of to-do's.

Maybe someone else might have more insight?

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 6:53 AM
  • Hi,

Based on my knowleadge, the difference between Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2 is the Internet Explorer enhanced security configuration.

Could you turn off the configuration and try again?

Regards,

Ada Liu

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 9:08 AM
  • Ada,

Unfortunately I had the IE Enhanced Security Configuration turned off before I ever tried NetFlix.  I could try turning it back on, but I don't believe that would help much...

Thursday, November 21, 2013 4:27 AM
  • Hi,

If the method provided above not work, you can try using process monitor to check what happened when playing NetFlix.

Process Monitor is an advanced monitoring tool for Windows that shows real-time file system, Registry and process/thread activity.

For detail, please see:

Process Monitor v3.05

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-in/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx

Hope this helps,

Ada Liu

Saturday, November 23, 2013 5:36 AM
  • Hi Gamefanatic,

I had similar problems with IE11 on Windows 8.1 and also went the desktop app route. I also attempted to do the other things mentioned. Finally, I was tooling around the Internet Explorer menus and noticed a little option called Manage Media Licenses under the Tools menu. Mine was unchecked and I figured that DRM was the culprit so I enabled it and "Voila!" Netflix in the browser.

Give that a try and see if it works for you.

Ayrab

• Edited by AyRab Friday, November 29, 2013 6:00 PM clarification of answer
    • Proposed as answer by AyRab Friday, November 29, 2013 6:00 PM
    Friday, November 29, 2013 12:41 AM
  • Unfortunately that setting is on by default in my configuration.  I even recreated my profile as stated in an earlier post to ensure that no settings from my previous 2008/2012 upgrades were still causing issues.
    Friday, November 29, 2013 11:31 PM
  • I encountered this during beta as soon as Netflix implemented HTML5 IE11 support. Personally I now just use the Netflix store app, as it works perfectly on Server 2012 R2 and generally doesn't get in my way because I have multiple monitors.  It's not ideal in all situations, but it does "just work" after enabling the Desktop Experience.

That said, during beta I found only one way to make Netflix work in Server 2012 R2's IE11:

1. Install Silverlight (I believe I used the x64 installer last time I did this)

2. Launch IE and browse to Netflix.com.

3. Open the IE Developer Tools via menu or F12.

4. Under the IE Developer Tools, select Emulation, and change your User agent string to "Internet Explorer 10".  Note that you must leave the developer tools open the entire time you are connected to Netflix, or else your agent string will revert back to Internet Explorer 11 automatically.

5. Now the Netflix site detects your browser as IE10, thus the IE11 HTML5 code on the Netflix site is now disabled, and Silverlight support from Netflix has been restored.

If it does not work after performing these steps, you probably have not disabled IE Enhanced Security Configuration within Server Manager. As I recall, you can also get Netflix to work without disabling Enhanced Protection via using Trusted Sites at the medium-high security level, but you must target both *.netflix.com and a *.<something>.com where <something> is the Netflix media steaming servers DNS extracted from their web code.  If you use trusted sites, all critical DNS entries for the remote service must be discovered and added, as data (such as your authentication to remote services) cannot cross between the "Trusted Sites" and "Internet" sites barrier.

In the end I don't know if the true cause of the problem is actually Server 2012 R2's IE11, or something within Netflix's HTML5 code.  It could be either considering the Netflix store app works properly on Server 2012 R2, though for all I know the store app may still rely on Start Screen aspects of Silverlight for its media streaming rather than HTML5.

Devin Lanei

• Edited by Devin Lanei Wednesday, December 4, 2013 3:52 AM
    • Marked as answer by Gamefanatic Wednesday, December 4, 2013 6:31 AM
    Wednesday, December 4, 2013 2:42 AM
  • Okay so that definitely worked.  I know that someone else suggested this previously from my original post, but you led me to the missing link.  You need to add both of the sites below to the trusted sites:

*.nflximg.com
    *.netflix.com

That was the final step!  Thank you Devin!

BTW, I had tried the NetFlix App, but it only worked when I originally installed it.  Shortly after it never would do anything.  Not familiar much with apps, but it didn't appear to have any way to troubleshoot it or give me any indication of what it was doing so I gave up on it.  As well I run into a slew of other issues using UAC that I just don't care to deal with. ;)

• Marked as answer by Gamefanatic Wednesday, December 4, 2013 6:38 AM
    Wednesday, December 4, 2013 6:37 AM