• Trying to upgrade from
    Windows Server 2012 to Windows Server 2012 R2 The following occurs:

• Copy install files to install directory on local system
    • Click Setup.exe.
    • UAC requires acceptance.
    • Windows Server 2012 R2 appears.
    • Click Install Now Button.
    • Splash screen reappears.

Cannot get beyond this to the wizard. Tried safe mode, tried from mounted ISO, tried from Install directory with setup files.

No indication of error in any Windows logs.

Thursday, October 31, 2013 5:38 PM

Answers

• Trying to upgrade from

• Click Setup.exe.

Cannot get beyond this to the wizard. Tried safe mode, tried from mounted ISO, tried from Install directory with setup files.

do the panther logs show the attempt, and how do the logs finish?

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh824819.aspx

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

• Marked as answer by AnnaWY Monday, November 11, 2013 5:23 AM
    Sunday, November 3, 2013 9:52 PM
  • Hi Malort,

Thanks for your posting.

Although you had checked the logs without error, I also would like to recommend you to view Windows Setup Log Files as Don mentioned above.

In addition, I would like to confirm where the upgrade process stuck in, it stuck in Setup is starting before the successful upgrade or stuck in restart Splash screen after the successful upgrade.

If the upgrade stuck in Setup is starting, this can be caused by a software and a driver compatibility issue or a hardware issue.

you can try to delete the non-essential third-party applications and update the hardware driver before the upgrade, and you can also go to the PC Manufacturer to confirm whether other users have the same issue with you during upgrade to Windows server 2012R2.

If the upgrade stuck in restart Splash screen, please follow this article to troubleshoot:

System Hangs at Splash Screen or Boot freezes on ACPITABL.DAT:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askcore/archive/2011/08/19/system-hangs-at-splash-screen-or-boot-freezes-on-acpitabl-dat.aspx

I hope this helps.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

• Edited by AnnaWY Monday, November 4, 2013 5:32 AM
    Monday, November 4, 2013 5:29 AM
  • This issue was solved in another post here is the posted resolution:

RESOLUTION:

• Process      monitor (saved the pml file - 144MB) gave me a command line launch      statement:
                C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\setup.exe /runlocal      /BTFolderPath:C:\$WINDOWS.~BT /OSImagePath:"z:\Sources"      /HideWelcome /uilanguage:en-US /targetlanguage:en-US
                If I run the above command from Start-->Run I get the first      Windows Setup screen "Get important updates for Windows Setup.  Select No thanks, I'm prompted with the      operating system options, next, license terms, next, upgrade (selected) vs      clean install, next and then Windows Setup fails with message,
                "Windows Setup cannot locate a valid hard drive to store      temporary installation files.
    •  http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa367988(v=vs.85).aspx states that      you can specify a       /tempdrive:{driveletter} command line option
    • Pointed to USB      drive designated as F and ran command as: C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\setup.exe      /runlocal /BTFolderPath:C:\$WINDOWS.~BT      /OSImagePath:"z:\Sources" /HideWelcome /uilanguage:en-US      /targetlanguage:en-US /tempdrive:f
    • Failure      message: "The specified drive [F:] does not meet all      requirements necessary to store temporary installation files
    • Changed      command to point to internal D:Drive as: C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\setup.exe      /runlocal /BTFolderPath:C:\$WINDOWS.~BT      /OSImagePath:"z:\Sources" /HideWelcome /uilanguage:en-US      /targetlanguage:en-US /tempdrive:d
    • Upgrades      proceeds to successful conclusion.

Malort

• Marked as answer by AnnaWY Friday, September 26, 2014 1:12 AM
    Thursday, September 25, 2014 3:33 PM

All replies

• Have you tried a different copy of the media?

.:|:.:|:. tim

Thursday, October 31, 2013 11:07 PM
  • Yes tried using 2 different ISOs. Also, the original ISO installs just fine on a 2008 R2 VM.

Sunday, November 3, 2013 5:30 PM
  • Trying to upgrade from

• Click Setup.exe.

do the panther logs show the attempt, and how do the logs finish?

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh824819.aspx

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Sunday, November 3, 2013 9:52 PM
  • Hi Malort,

Thanks for your posting.

Although you had checked the logs without error, I also would like to recommend you to view Windows Setup Log Files as Don mentioned above.

In addition, I would like to confirm where the upgrade process stuck in, it stuck in Setup is starting before the successful upgrade or stuck in restart Splash screen after the successful upgrade.

If the upgrade stuck in Setup is starting, this can be caused by a software and a driver compatibility issue or a hardware issue.

you can try to delete the non-essential third-party applications and update the hardware driver before the upgrade, and you can also go to the PC Manufacturer to confirm whether other users have the same issue with you during upgrade to Windows server 2012R2.

If the upgrade stuck in restart Splash screen, please follow this article to troubleshoot:

System Hangs at Splash Screen or Boot freezes on ACPITABL.DAT:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askcore/archive/2011/08/19/system-hangs-at-splash-screen-or-boot-freezes-on-acpitabl-dat.aspx

I hope this helps.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

• Edited by AnnaWY Monday, November 4, 2013 5:32 AM
    Monday, November 4, 2013 5:29 AM
  • The setup process never runs so, no it isn't stuck in restart Splash screen after the successful upgrade. It looks as though my drivers are in line with the latest offered by the manufacturer.

Malort

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 4:57 PM
  • Hello there,

I'm having the very same issue here. Did you get it resolved and may I ask how?

Thank you,

Matthias

Tuesday, July 8, 2014 2:46 PM
  • Hey Matthias, as yet no resolution to the issue. Windows setup logs show nothing to indicate where the process stops. None of the above recommendations above have resolved the issue. As an aside I've P2Vd the machine in question and applied the upgrade to the VM successfully. It's very vexing.

Malort

Tuesday, July 8, 2014 3:16 PM
  • This is what fixed it for us: Re-install 2008R2. Then 2012R2 worked fine.

Matthias

Friday, July 11, 2014 3:37 PM
  • I'm having the same issue.   Trying to go from 2008R2 -> 2012 R2.

I was able to go to 2012 and it is having the same issue trying to go to 2012 R2.

Anybody ever figure this out?

Wednesday, September 24, 2014 9:44 PM
  • I'm having the same issue.   Trying to go from 2008R2 -> 2012 R2.

I was able to go to 2012 and it is having the same issue trying to go to 2012 R2.

Anybody ever figure this out?

Did you check the panther (Windows Setup) logfiles?
    Is your hardware + firmware_version + firmware_settings confirmed compatible with WS2012R2 by the WCL or vendor?

Don

Thursday, September 25, 2014 10:53 AM
  • This issue was solved in another post here is the posted resolution:

RESOLUTION:

• Process      monitor (saved the pml file - 144MB) gave me a command line launch      statement:
                C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\setup.exe /runlocal      /BTFolderPath:C:\$WINDOWS.~BT /OSImagePath:"z:\Sources"      /HideWelcome /uilanguage:en-US /targetlanguage:en-US
                If I run the above command from Start-->Run I get the first      Windows Setup screen "Get important updates for Windows Setup.  Select No thanks, I'm prompted with the      operating system options, next, license terms, next, upgrade (selected) vs      clean install, next and then Windows Setup fails with message,
                "Windows Setup cannot locate a valid hard drive to store      temporary installation files.
    •  http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa367988(v=vs.85).aspx states that      you can specify a       /tempdrive:{driveletter} command line option
    • Pointed to USB      drive designated as F and ran command as: C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\setup.exe      /runlocal /BTFolderPath:C:\$WINDOWS.~BT      /OSImagePath:"z:\Sources" /HideWelcome /uilanguage:en-US      /targetlanguage:en-US /tempdrive:f
    • Failure      message: "The specified drive [F:] does not meet all      requirements necessary to store temporary installation files
    • Changed      command to point to internal D:Drive as: C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\setup.exe      /runlocal /BTFolderPath:C:\$WINDOWS.~BT      /OSImagePath:"z:\Sources" /HideWelcome /uilanguage:en-US      /targetlanguage:en-US /tempdrive:d
    • Upgrades      proceeds to successful conclusion.

Malort

• Marked as answer by AnnaWY Friday, September 26, 2014 1:12 AM
    Thursday, September 25, 2014 3:33 PM
  • Malort -

I can get past the "Checking Compatibility Report" now.

I tried using an existing drive as the tempdrive and a brand new drive as the tempdrive and both errored out with the "The specified drive [X:] does not meet all requirements necessary to store temporary installation files".

Just for laughs I changed the tempdrive to "C" and it is running now????

If the server has to reboot during the install I don't think the setup will continue.  If it doesn't do I just re-issue the same commend?

THANKS!!!

Brett

Thursday, September 25, 2014 5:17 PM
  • 1st reboot just happened and the setup DID continue.
    Thursday, September 25, 2014 5:39 PM
  • Upgrade complete.   Thanks again.
    Thursday, September 25, 2014 6:02 PM
  • I ran across this issue today with a VMware VM running Server 2008R2 Enterprise.  This thread helped me reach a resolution.

Environment: My 2012R2 ISO is mounted on D:, Windows system on C:.  

Process: Open an Administrator command prompt and run the following command:

D:\Sources\setup.exe /HideWelcome /uilanguage:en-US /targetlanguage:en-US /runlocal

When prompted to check for updates, accept and continue.  Setup will eventually fail but not before it has downloaded an updated setup.exe and supporting files to a handful of folders on C:.  These updated files let me complete the installation.  In an admin prompt, run: 

C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\setup.exe /runlocal /BTFolderPath:C:\$WINDOWS.~BT /OSImagePath:"D:\Sources" /HideWelcome /uilanguage:en-US  /targetlanguage:en-US

This time skip the updates and (at least in my case) the install completed successfully.

• Proposed as answer by Fedor T Monday, May 21, 2018 3:35 PM
    Monday, February 23, 2015 11:50 PM
  • The above commands fixed the issue and I am able to upgrade the windows from 2008R2 to 2012R2.

Thanks a lot !! :-)

Thursday, October 26, 2017 11:37 AM
  • I ran across this issue today with a VMware VM running Server 2008R2 Enterprise.  This thread helped me reach a resolution.

Environment: My 2012R2 ISO is mounted on D:, Windows system on C:.  

Process: Open an Administrator command prompt and run the following command:

D:\Sources\setup.exe /HideWelcome /uilanguage:en-US /targetlanguage:en-US /runlocal

When prompted to check for updates, accept and continue.  Setup will eventually fail but not before it has downloaded an updated setup.exe and supporting files to a handful of folders on C:.  These updated files let me complete the installation.  In an admin prompt, run: 

C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\setup.exe /runlocal /BTFolderPath:C:\$WINDOWS.~BT /OSImagePath:"D:\Sources" /HideWelcome /uilanguage:en-US  /targetlanguage:en-US

This time skip the updates and (at least in my case) the install completed successfully.

Is the syntax incorrect for that second command? I am getting an error when pasting it directly so, i take it that it's not correct? 

EDIT: Setup.exe isnt even in there for me. I want to go from 2012 to 2012 R2

• Edited by Roystonius Wednesday, December 13, 2017 12:30 PM
    Wednesday, December 13, 2017 12:26 PM
  • Absolute Legend you!! 
    Thursday, October 24, 2019 10:33 AM
  • your solution worked , thanks for the post.
    Sunday, March 22, 2020 7:50 AM
  • Thank you very much this worked for me when doing an in place upgrade from Windows Server 2012 to Windows Server 2012 R2
    Wednesday, June 17, 2020 12:02 PM