none
Removing IE10 from Server 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a way to completely remove IE10 from Server 2012. I am not replacing it with another version. I just want it gone or disabled on the server.
    Friday, January 22, 2016 6:55 PM

Answers

• You can disable it with:

dism /online /disable-feature:"Internet-Explorer-Optional-amd64"

check available features and status:

dism /online /get-features

//Vadim

• Marked as answer by mlross Thursday, February 11, 2016 8:51 PM
    Friday, January 22, 2016 9:26 PM
  • Hi,

One thing we need to tell you at the beginning, for Windows server 2012 system, IE 10 is the only supported Microsoft browser. If you uninstall/disable it, you could only use the third-part browser.

According to this article below, we can understand that IE 11 isn’t support on Windows Server 2012 system.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn321440.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Meanwhile, from this website below, we can find that IE 9 can’t be installed on Windows Server 2012 either.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/internet-explorer/products/ie-9/system-requirements

Therefore, if you uninstall IE 10, you would not use any IE browser on this system, sure you want to do this?

If you insist on, you could use DISM commands to achieve it. Type the following content in a CMD with administrative right.

dism /online /Disable-Feature /FeatureName:Internet-Explorer-Optional-amd64

When you are prompted to restart the computer, select Yes.

Hope my suggestion can be helpful.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 25, 2016 11:48 AM

All replies

• Have you checked Turn Windows features on or off in Programs and Features?

Should have an option to disable IE

Friday, January 22, 2016 7:12 PM
  • You can disable it with:

check available features and status:

dism /online /get-features

//Vadim

• Marked as answer by mlross Thursday, February 11, 2016 8:51 PM
    Friday, January 22, 2016 9:26 PM
  • Hi,

One thing we need to tell you at the beginning, for Windows server 2012 system, IE 10 is the only supported Microsoft browser. If you uninstall/disable it, you could only use the third-part browser.

According to this article below, we can understand that IE 11 isn’t support on Windows Server 2012 system.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn321440.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Meanwhile, from this website below, we can find that IE 9 can’t be installed on Windows Server 2012 either.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/internet-explorer/products/ie-9/system-requirements

Therefore, if you uninstall IE 10, you would not use any IE browser on this system, sure you want to do this?

If you insist on, you could use DISM commands to achieve it. Type the following content in a CMD with administrative right.

dism /online /Disable-Feature /FeatureName:Internet-Explorer-Optional-amd64

When you are prompted to restart the computer, select Yes.

Hope my suggestion can be helpful.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 25, 2016 11:48 AM
  • Hi,
    Would you mind letting me know the result of the suggestions? If you need further assistance, feel free to let me know. I will be more than happy to be of assistance.

Friday, February 5, 2016 3:43 AM
  • Disabling IE using the command:

worked for our situation.

Thursday, February 11, 2016 8:50 PM