none
Missing Mail / Incorrect time issue RRS feed

• Question

• A curious one this.

VMWare based host with a DC and Exchange was experiencing some hardware issues.  The mail queue was paused by our spam filter provider and we opted to move them to a new host.

Both started correctly and everything looked fine.  The mail was released from the spam filter and received by the mail server.

I discovered the time on the DC had been set to that of the host which then synced to the mail server and somehow put them both a day into the future.  I corrected this during the download of the mail...

As a result, almost all of the mail that was received by the server never ended up in the appropriate mailboxes. The transaction logs were datestamped 'in the future' and I guess this confused things.

Are there any bright minds out there that might know how to resolve this bizarre scenario?

Thursday, November 28, 2019 4:11 PM

All replies

• Hi

Does the mail not show even after a reboot?

Hope this helps. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, November 28, 2019 6:37 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Rey Cobham,
    Active Directory can't work correctly (or at all) if the clock is not synchronized around domain controllers/member machines. During the download, the clock in mail server was a day later than DC, which may be the cause.
    You mentioned that the servers are built on VMWare, right? In fact, you can turn on periodic time synchronization in VM Tools, which will set the time of the guest operating system to be the same as the time of the host. In default, this function check once every minute to determine whether the clocks on the guest and host operating systems still match. If not, the clock on the guest operating system is synchronized to match the clock on the host. So that you don’t need to do it manually,
    For detailed information, refer to this article: https://theithollow.com/2015/03/24/vmware-tools-time-syncronization/
    Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Regards,

Eric Yin

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 29, 2019 9:49 AM
  • That was the problem with time - The DC was somehow set to the VMWare host rather than a traditional NTP server.  This was a 'spare' host we use for emergencies and it's internal time had gotten set to a future date.

Exchange was set to sync time with the DC and that's how they both ended up in the future.  That part has been fixed, but doesn't help with the missing mail.

The log files are shown in the eseutil /ml as ok but the mail from the day of the restore has never shown up. 

Odd stuff.  I've not reached out to Microsoft to see what they can recommend.  Thanks for the ideas tho!

Friday, November 29, 2019 5:03 PM
  • Hi Rey Cobham,

Thanks for reply, be free to mark your reply or other useful reply as answer to highlight it,this will make answer searching in the forum easier and be beneficial to other community members as well.

Regards,

Eric Yin

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 2, 2019 9:08 AM
  • Hi, I'm here to confirm with you if your issue has been resolved. If the problem is successfully solved, you can share your solution and mark them or the helpful reply as answer, this will make answer searching in the forum easier and be beneficial to other community members as well.

Regards,

Eric Yin

Thursday, December 5, 2019 10:11 AM
  • Hi, I'm here to confirm with you if your issue has been resolved. If the problem is successfully solved, you can share your solution and mark them or the helpful reply as answer, this will make answer searching in the forum easier and be beneficial to other community members as well.

Regards,

Eric Yin

Tuesday, December 10, 2019 1:23 AM