Multiple RDS Session Collections possible on Server 2012? RRS feed

• Question

• I currently have one Session Collection with two applications scoped to three AD user groups for a Windows Server 2012 RDS Session host.

I would like to create another collection on the same host for a separate set of apps that can be applied to a different set of user groups. Is this possible? When I go to create a Session Collection in Server manager for the host, it does not show up in the list of Session hosts. Am I doing something wrong?

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 5:17 AM

Answers

• Apologies if you already know this: 

you can assign security permissions to individual applications.  

You would need a dedicated server for each collection not each security constraint. RDS 2012 enables granular security control so you could add individual users into the application user assignment. 

Best Regards,

• Edited by Ryan Mangan Wednesday, March 27, 2013 6:23 PM
    • Marked as answer by JWise1203 Tuesday, May 20, 2014 12:06 PM
    Wednesday, March 27, 2013 6:22 PM
  • Hi Mate, 

You can accomplish this by editing Published App properties: 

Monday, May 19, 2014 4:35 AM
  • You can only create a single session collection. If you want to create multiple session collections you would need to add an additional RDS session host. If you do proceed down this avenue I would recommend creating a RDSH Farm.

• Marked as answer by JWise1203 Wednesday, February 13, 2013 1:27 PM
    • Edited by Ryan Mangan Wednesday, March 27, 2013 6:08 PM
    Wednesday, February 13, 2013 9:05 AM

All replies

• You can only create a single session collection. If you want to create multiple session collections you would need to add an additional RDS session host. If you do proceed down this avenue I would recommend creating a RDSH Farm.

• Marked as answer by JWise1203 Wednesday, February 13, 2013 1:27 PM
    • Edited by Ryan Mangan Wednesday, March 27, 2013 6:08 PM
    Wednesday, February 13, 2013 9:05 AM
  • So there must be a dedicated server for each security constraint we want to make Vs. each app we deploy? Seriously?

Wednesday, March 27, 2013 3:12 PM
  • Shocked me too.

I would be interested if someone from Microsoft could comment on this.  Would the ability to add multiple session collections to a single host be included in a service pack or the next release?

Wednesday, March 27, 2013 3:30 PM
  • Apologies if you already know this: 

you can assign security permissions to individual applications.  

You would need a dedicated server for each collection not each security constraint. RDS 2012 enables granular security control so you could add individual users into the application user assignment. 

Best Regards,

• Edited by Ryan Mangan Wednesday, March 27, 2013 6:23 PM
    Wednesday, March 27, 2013 6:22 PM
  • I have the same situation where I want to have different groups have access to different collections of applications on the same domain.

The most logical way to do that would be to use collections to group the specific applications and give the domain group access to that collection.  Trying to put a number of similarly named applications into a collection (same name but different directories) and then individually assign privileges seems to be unnecessarily tedious.

Saturday, August 24, 2013 11:07 PM
  • I have two collections: one for the global entry to the session host desktops of the farm, and one for some programms hosted on another session host. I want to publish these second collection with the remote apps to the users working on the remote session hosts in the first collection (per web feed). Is this possible?

If i login on the webinterface, only the first collection appeares. The second collection with the remote apps is not visible. 

Wednesday, October 2, 2013 9:30 AM
  • Does anyone know a solution for this problem? Is there a registry key to set?
    Monday, March 24, 2014 3:56 PM
  • Hi Mate, 

You can accomplish this by editing Published App properties: 

Monday, May 19, 2014 4:35 AM
  • I have actually tried this, gave everyone permission to the collection, in my collection I have a single specific user access to crystal reports app. However, everyone assigned to the collection still seems to have access to this app, even though I have specifically added just a single user in the User Assignment.

Are there any known issues that mean anyone can access an app regardless of user assignment permissions?

Thanks

Carl

Wednesday, August 13, 2014 7:45 AM
  • Don't know if you ever got the answer, I think that section is only for WEB access.  If you figured out how to control it, let me know!
    Friday, November 6, 2015 7:45 PM
  • The only way I could do it was to restrict permissions on the actual path of the apps themselves. Doesn't look very professional but there doesn't appear to be any other way to do it unless you have multiple session servers. Kind of defeats the point of terminal services though if you have to have a different collection and session server if you want to restrict certain apps to only a few users.

Citrix just seems infinitely better for this.

Wednesday, December 16, 2015 2:53 PM
  • I stumbled here looking for the same solution. I need multiple collections assigned to a single Remote Desktop Session Host (RDSH). In my scenario, I have a single application that is load balance on 2 RDSHs. I want to publish a separate applicaiton (the crystal forms editor) for my admins but only install the application on one of the RDSHs. This scenario would require another collection and only assign the secondary collection to a single RDSH in the farm. This is not possible. If I assign the crystal application within the existing collection, when my admins get load-balanced to the wrong RDSH, they get an error when launching the crystal forms application "application does not exist" or something to that effect.

Ideally, I would create a separate collection for the admins and add only one of the existing RDSHs to the collection. 

Thursday, October 18, 2018 12:17 PM