none
Stop videos from auto playing in Microsoft Edge RRS feed

• Question

• Does Microsoft finally have a way to stop videos from auto playing in Microsoft Edge? I only want videos to play if I CLICK on them.
    Wednesday, August 19, 2015 3:04 AM

All replies

• I agree this Browser feature is required on EDGE......
    Monday, September 28, 2015 12:56 PM
  • Worst answer ever
    Tuesday, August 23, 2016 2:29 PM
  • Your opinion doesn't matter. I want to be able to listen to music through my browser while I'm surfing. I don't want irritating video's interrupting me. If Microsoft wants users to use Edge then they need to cater to features want. I am glad that I came across this post, because now I know I can stop using Edge. BYE!!!
    Tuesday, November 1, 2016 5:04 PM
  • Hi,

In my opinion, video automatically playing should be depends on the website itself. It's not Edge problem. I made a test using Youtube, it works fine in Edge.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

You're a moderator? Ugh. I think I'll uninstall Edge if this is the bullshit stupid responses moderators give.

Thursday, March 2, 2017 10:47 PM
  • Hi,

In my opinion, video automatically playing should be depends on the website itself. It's not Edge problem. I made a test using Youtube, it works fine in Edge.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

You're a moderator? Ugh. I think I'll uninstall Edge if this is the bullshit stupid responses moderators give.

Agreed. You can't stop annoying autoplay and you can't use AdBlock or similar. It sounds like Edge is something the spammers will love.
    • Proposed as answer by Clay Harryman Monday, October 30, 2017 3:24 PM
    Friday, March 31, 2017 1:39 AM
  • When the MSN.com page opens in Edge, the upper right corner has advertisement videos that play and there is no "X" to shut it off.  So, you are saying that is not an "Edge" issue but an MSN issue?  So, unless MSN provides a way to turn it off, I can't?   I don't have this problem with Chrome browser, so I guess I should use that instead. Bing's search engine is garbage, anyway.
    Monday, April 10, 2017 9:43 PM
  • When the MSN.com page opens in Edge, the upper right corner has advertisement videos that play and there is no "X" to shut it off. 
    There is a way to turn videos off but there doesn't seem to be a way to prevent them from starting:  Right-click Pause.  Heh.  Those aren't Flash it seems but right-click on them shows an X on the top right-corner, so I suppose if you don't like one you can close it?

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, April 11, 2017 2:58 AM
    Answerer
  • What a stupid answer. You need to find another line of work. Video autoplay is extremely irritating. Chrome has a Flash control and an HTML block for autoplay. If you want more Edge users, you need to provide a service that they want.

Save your rude comments for political websites.

Sunday, June 4, 2017 6:03 AM
  • Yeah, that's not an answer. Video autoplay is right up there with SPAM and telemarketing. Some of the stinkiest stuff encountered by the public today (outside of politics).  On CNN.com and other news sites, the video seems to also be delayed so that it lulls you into thinking you won't be disturbed as you browse websites while on a conference call.  Then, WHAMMO, right when you need to speak on your conference call it screams "TODAY, IN WASHINGTON....." blares out at whatever volume level you had set.

Is Chrome the answer?  I've found the setting in Chrome but I'd certainly rather use Edge for its graphic presentation.

Wednesday, June 14, 2017 3:39 PM
  • Hi,

You're a moderator?

That was the most stupid answer I've seen in a long time.

I'm switching to Chrome until Microcrap got their heads out of their arses!

Sunday, August 6, 2017 8:29 PM
  • tnmff is correct, the root of the problem is the website. He simply doesn't understand the question. With Chrome, we can turn that crap off. Edge can't do that. We want an off switch for intruding audio and video.
    Sunday, August 6, 2017 11:23 PM
  • very annoying ms
    Sunday, August 20, 2017 3:38 AM
  • This IS a Microsoft issue, all these alleged other webpages are trafficking thru Microsoft Edge, and not on their own private web browser, it's still Edge.  I have downloaded an App that allows me to block all ads, not just in Edge, but on Facebook, on Outlook, everything, so I should be able to find an App that allow me to control the Video being piped into my PC via Edge too; otherwise if Microsoft is making so much money off videos playing on their webpages, then Microsoft should provide us with free PC's to watch their videos on; until then, I own this PC and I demand they give me the respect to stop videos from "auto-playing" until and IF I decide to watch those videos.  If they refuse to provide a video blocker App, then I will make one myself!
    Thursday, September 14, 2017 2:08 PM
  • This is not what Microsoft sold Edge as!  They sold it as a browser that is light and uses less power/battery, but that is not what they have provided, this is worse than IE11!  Edge makes my new Dell run hot from all the videos and ads they have overloaded the browser with!  Search "download Edge" and there it still advertises a light browser that is so basic that it virtually saves energy/battery; I was just there.
    Thursday, September 14, 2017 2:13 PM
  • Magic word, you said "log onto Google", Google is not Edge, not Microsoft.
    Thursday, September 14, 2017 2:14 PM
  • This morning, I just wanted a video (advertisement) to pause, so I could read the article from Edge, but the video was causing Edge to crash, freeze up, and every time I clicked on the "pause" button, it would redirect or open a new webpage... "FOR THAT DAMN ADVERTISEMENT I WANTED TO PAUSE"!  I installed AdBlock this morning and now my PC is running much cooler/quieter, but it can't stop Ad's from loading and playing in videos; I NEED an App to stop video auto play until I want to watch a video!!!!
    Thursday, September 14, 2017 2:22 PM
  • Opera Web Browser does not have this problem. I'd recommend making that your standard browser.

I just bought a new pc with windows 10 on it. This is my first time using this as well as Microsoft edge. Edge has some nice features (such as save all tabloids for later) but it' s not worth it because of the autoplay problem you describe. I think by now we should've reached a point at which the new windows and a modern browser such as Edge should provide the user with easy ways to change their pc/browser to their personal preferences. Instead we get a whole bunch of pre-installed spam and a lot of things that could easily be changed before but are now unnecessarily hard to find or execute (such as changing your PC username on windows 10)

I don' t think there is a setting anywhere to stop videos from auto-playing when opened in a tabloid but I do have a solution: Install Opera Web Browser.

As for the Edge team: Guys please, make browsers user-friendly again. Some easy preference settings for things like this and you might just survive the Browser-war and not end up like Internet Explorer: "The best pre-installed way to download a different browser".

Monday, September 18, 2017 11:53 AM
  • TechNet is such an incredible embarrassment to MS. The truth is, these "moderator" positions are outsourced to the lowest common denominator. They are here to appease stupid people, not answer actual technical questions. Notice how there is no *downvote* option, only upvote. This way the dumb people that don't realize there question was not even answered can hit upvote and the people who know that the answer is garbage can't do anything about it. Technet is garbage. Outsourcing is garbage. MS is garbage.

Thursday, September 28, 2017 11:56 AM
  • Autoplay stops the *next* video from automatically playing when the current video is complete. It does not stop the *current* video from automatically playing.

Another garbage answer on MS TechNet.

Thursday, September 28, 2017 12:00 PM
  • DOWNVOTE this answer by "Roger LU" by upvoting this reply. Crude, but maybe effective.

- Carey

Friday, November 17, 2017 8:11 PM
  • No I just got it on my android and it even fails on there - Fuck edge until it fixes this major fucking problem
    Sunday, January 21, 2018 2:02 AM
  • My other browsers do not fail at this? Why does it take a plugin to stop it? Why did you bother wasting my fucking time?
    Sunday, January 21, 2018 2:03 AM
  • tnmff@microsoft.com   Unbelievable.  Blocking auto play is EXACTLY what a browser MUST do.

Sunday, January 28, 2018 10:08 PM
  • From all I have read it can't be done in Edge because of Plug In restrictions.

Even if you block it in other browsers from what I read you cannot stop the video and audio from loading thus using up the limited bandwidth that the underserved population in rural areas have to deal with. The fact that they load automatically it the problem for me and many others who live in rural areas.  It slows up browsing when we only have 10MBS download speeds if lucky and 10GB a month data limits for high prices.  Its about to force me into buying higher data limits.  Service is already overpriced because the providers know they have a captive group of people that have no cable, fiber or even DSL.

In the 1930's rural areas got electric will we have to wait until the 2030's to get truly high speed internet?  Perhaps.

Sunday, April 8, 2018 11:39 AM
  • cannot stop the video and audio from loading

I think that is a different question but the answer for it now will be different from what it was 3 years ago.  Do you see a "puzzle piece" in your toolbar?

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/forum/surfpro4-surfweb/adobe-flash-player-not-working-after-creators/9a43a145-9ae8-4d63-a261-070242aee2ed

(via BING search for
        puzzle piece adobe edge site:answers.microsoft.com
    )

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Sunday, April 8, 2018 12:38 PM
    Answerer
  • That's idiotic.  Chrome offers this common feature.  This is a BROWSER ISSUE.
    Saturday, April 28, 2018 12:14 PM
  • I agree. I have Edge on my Android phone which I like but I'm burning through all my data because sites have MULTIPLE videos that play when you go past them. You can't stop them and it also consumes the display space by expanding and displaying in a separate window.

This is SPAM and a total lack of concern for the customer; a total <g class="gr_ gr_275 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Grammar multiReplace" data-gr-id="275" id="275">give</g> to the SPAM'ers by Microsoft.

Shortlink

Going now to remove Edge from my systems<g class="gr_ gr_317 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Punctuation multiReplace" data-gr-id="317" id="317">....</g>

Wednesday, May 2, 2018 11:31 PM
  • Want to give edge a chance on my new PC. Seems I still have to go to Chrome. Why Microsoft just so dumb? It is not hard to block the video auto play!
    Thursday, August 9, 2018 9:28 PM