issues between exchange and 365 for one user RRS feed

• Question

• hybrid setup, exchange 2013, and 365.

all users are on 365, copiers and couple of servers send email to 365 via exchange relay.

having an issue with single new user.  report emailed from server, goes to exchange 2013 relay connector, then to 365.

emailed report has 3 people copied on it, the two preexisting users received the email, the new user did not.

I ran PS commands on my exchange server for message trace, and it shows the email being sent out to all 3 users.

nothing appears in quarantine on 365.

message trace on 365 from the report email to the new user returns nothing though,  

what am I missing?  its almost like 365 is saying "nope" for these emails to this one person, but no recording the nope anywhere.

is there another place to look?

Thursday, July 16, 2020 8:27 PM

All replies

• Hi captainjamestkirk,

Do you mean that your application relay email from Exchange on-premises to 3 Exchange online mailboxes, however only two of them receive this email?

If so, I would suggest you have a check:

1. Check this email from the user who received the email, whether the new created user show in the ”To“ list. If this new created user doesn't listed in the "To" list, it mean this mailbox is removed before this email come to Exchange online.

2. Try to send email from an on-premises mailbox to your new Exchange online mailboxes, check whether is it could send successfully.

If this new created show in the "To" list and you could send email to this mailbox directly, you could check the "message ID" for this missing email from Get-MessageTrace command:

Get-MessageTrace -SenderAddress john@contoso.com -StartDate 06/13/2018 -EndDate 06/15/2018 | ft Received,SenderAddress,RecipientAddress,Subject,MessageTraceID

Then you can check the detail information about this message with Get-MessageTraceDetail command, you could see whether there exist this mailbox in the mail flow:

Get-MessageTrace -MessageTraceId 2bbad36aa4674c7ba82f4b307fff549f | Get-MessageTraceDetail

This Microsoft Online: Exchange Online Forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A, please refer to this sticky post for more details.

Regards,

Kyle Xu

Microsoft Online: Exchange Online will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A! We invite you to post new questions in the new forum.

For more information, please refer to the sticky post.

Friday, July 17, 2020 2:23 AM
  • the new users email address does NOT show up in the TO, and if I do message trace in 365, I see the email going to the other uses, but new user does not show up.

so it DOES look like the new user is being stripped out of the email before it hits 365.

how do I find out why?

Friday, July 17, 2020 2:34 PM
  • the new users email address does NOT show up in the TO, and if I do message trace in 365, I see the email going to the other uses, but new user does not show up.

so it DOES look like the new user is being stripped out of the email before it hits 365.

how do I find out why?

Whether there exist other email filter application tool in your organization. I think this recipient may be removed but it. Or your original email may doesn't contained in this recipient at all.

This Microsoft Online: Exchange Online Forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A, please refer to this sticky post for more details.

Regards,

Kyle Xu

Microsoft Online: Exchange Online will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A! We invite you to post new questions in the new forum.

Wednesday, July 22, 2020 6:10 AM
  • Hi captainjamestkirk,

I am writing here to confirm with you how thing going now?

If the above suggestion helps, please be free to mark it as an answer for helping more people.

This Microsoft Online: Exchange Online Forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A, please refer to this sticky post for more details.

Regards,

Kyle Xu

Thursday, July 23, 2020 7:29 AM
  • Hi captainjamestkirk,

Haven't received your update for a long time, any update now?

If the above suggestion helps, please be free to mark it as answer for helping more people.

This Microsoft Online: Exchange Online Forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A, please refer to this sticky post for more details.

Regards,

Kyle Xu

Wednesday, July 29, 2020 2:59 AM