none
How do I replicate to a server that already has a copy of the VM Guests? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have two servers at two different locations.   The internet speed would have taken forever to do an initial sync of all the VMS.   I have the VHDX files and VMs on both the production and the replica server.    I have no idea how to do a sync if the data is already on the second server - just a day apart.

Monday, June 10, 2019 4:38 PM

Answers

• Thanks - so the way I worked around the issue was to create a virtual host that is a member of the remote domain.   I then restored the data to the virtual host which in turn created guest VMs on the virtual host.   Once I did that I set up replication and told it to restore to an existing VM.   I'm happy it works now.
    • Marked as answer by boe_d Friday, June 14, 2019 6:46 PM
    Friday, June 14, 2019 6:46 PM

All replies

• What data, are you asking about file system objects? If so you may be able to just use xcopy / robocopy.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Monday, June 10, 2019 4:40 PM
  • Sorry,   I was trying to make it easier but probably might have made it incorrect.

I had replication working between these to hyper-v hosts.  There was an issue and I removed replication between the two trying to diagnose the issue.    I want to begin replication again but the when I try to start it from the production server (with the first guest VM  called DC1, I get - 

I do not want to delete the guest VM on the replica server and start from scratch as there are already TB of data copied.   I'd like to just begin replication again and have it modify what has not been replicated in the past few hours.

I tried this But it only worked on one of the three I tried to replicate.

• Edited by boe_d Monday, June 10, 2019 4:58 PM
    Monday, June 10, 2019 4:47 PM
  • I doubt that is a viable or supported method. Might want to ask over here.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/home?forum=winserverClustering

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Monday, June 10, 2019 4:49 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your question.

From your post, I think we need first to troubleshoot the initial replication failure with the following error.

As researched, we could try to fix it with the following thread which analyzed the similar situation.  

https://www.serverwatch.com/server-tutorials/troubleshooting-generic-and-known-error-messages-in-hyper-v-replica.html

When we enable replication or hit the "Finish" button in the wizard, the Primary Server creates a pointer for the virtual machine on the Replica Server. This virtual machine is created with the same "GUID" and same name as the Primary Virtual Machine. Before it creates the Replica Virtual Machine, the Primary Server checks to make sure there are not any other virtual machines configured with the same GUID on the Replica Server. If it finds any virtual machine already configured with the same GUID, the above generic error message will be displayed.

To resolve this, we must delete the virtual machine on the Replica Server and its associated files before we can enable the replication.

Note: A virtual machine with same GUID can exist on Replica Server only if replication was enabled previously for the virtual machine and then was later removed administratively.

Reference:

Understand and Troubleshoot Hyper-V Replica 
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=29016

Demonstrate Planned Failover in Hyper-V Replica
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831759.aspx?ppud=4

Enable replication failed : Hyper-V is not in a state to accept replication on the replica server

https://www.stephenhackers.co.uk/hyper-v-general-administrator-tasks/

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Hope above information can help you. If you have any question or concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Michael

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, June 11, 2019 3:02 AM
  • To resolve this, we must delete the virtual machine on the Replica Server and its associated files before we can enable the replication.

My goal is to not to have to replicate from scratch.

Tuesday, June 11, 2019 1:36 PM
  • Might ask here in dedicated forum about other possible options.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/home?forum=winserverClustering

Tuesday, June 11, 2019 1:38 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your update. We could still focus on this thread. 

My goal is to not to have to replicate from scratch.>>>

Would you like not to delete the VM and its transferred files previously, neither to reset the replication? 

If you have any question or concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Michael

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, June 12, 2019 1:43 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Michael

Thursday, June 13, 2019 11:38 AM
  • Thanks - so the way I worked around the issue was to create a virtual host that is a member of the remote domain.   I then restored the data to the virtual host which in turn created guest VMs on the virtual host.   Once I did that I set up replication and told it to restore to an existing VM.   I'm happy it works now.
    • Marked as answer by boe_d Friday, June 14, 2019 6:46 PM
    Friday, June 14, 2019 6:46 PM
  • I'm very glad that your issue was resolved successfully!

Thanks for your sharing and support.

Best regards,

Michael

Saturday, June 15, 2019 6:53 AM