none
Outlook 2010 cannot send/receive mail AND states mailbox is being optimized due to upgrade AND outlook hotmail connector needs updating. RRS feed

• Question

• As of 2014-March, the same thing happening on my system. This seems to have occurred, after the latest batch of 28 patches (including SP2 - KB2687455) from Microsoft Updates applied on 13-Mar-2014 and 19-Mar-2014.  I have been running Outlook 2010 since it was first available.

An unhelpful error is thrown, after trying to manually perform a Send/Receive: Not Implemented

While in Outlook 2010, clicking FILE > INFO reveals the following warnings in red:

"Upgrade in Progress. Your mailbox is currently being optimized as part of upgrade to Outlook 2010. This one time process may take over 15 minutes and performance may be affected while the optimization is in progress."

There's an "Upgrade Now" button but it fails to produce any visible result. Next to the button, another warning in red: "You must upgrade to the latest version of Outlook Hotmail Connector to continue using this e-mail account."

Again, I do not have the Outlook Hotmail Connector installed. Nor have I recently upgraded to Outlook 2010.

I am unable to access ANY account settings, as well as poll my various mailboxes.

While reviewing the list of installed updates (Control Panel > Programs and Features > View Installed Updates), there are 28 approximate patches - specifically, Service Pack 2 (KB2687455) - that were recently applied to Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010.

Microsoft, what the #$%# is going on?

I've read some related posts that suggest the core issue is other than what Outlook is reporting.  The posts recommend the following.  However, in my case, the below steps did not correct the issue.  In fact, the new profile would not allow me to view/manage the associated accounts or data files.

(1) Remove your current Outlook Profile. No worries - this doesn't affect your mail data (.PST files):
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-au/outlook-help/remove-a-profile-HP010356455.aspx

(2) Create a new Outlook Profile:
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-au/outlook-help/introduction-to-profiles-HA010355553.aspx

Note: Outlook complained "An unknown error occurred, error code: 0x80040154."  However, exiting the Mail config window and relaunching shows that the new profile is intact.

(3) If you previously had the Outlook Hotmail Connector installed, reinstall it.  If not, then just ignore and the warning should go away after creating a new Profile.
    32-bit connector: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=24677

• Edited by Paulie-D Monday, March 24, 2014 2:50 AM
    Monday, March 24, 2014 1:37 AM

Answers

• I was able to resolve this issue as follows.  However, why it occurred is unknown at this time and unrelated to a corrupted Outlook Profile, as mentioned on my prior post.  It seems highly probable that it was caused by the recent batch of Microsoft Updates for this product which included Service Pack (SP) 2.

1) Performed a "repair" of Outlook 2010, via the Control Panel > Programs and Features.
    2) Rebooted.
    3) Prior to launching Outlook, returned to Control Panel > Mail and configured the location of my PST file (not in default directory).
    4) Had to reestablish as off my mail accounts, settings/preferences/etc. This step was the most tedious and frustrating.

• Marked as answer by Paulie-D Monday, March 24, 2014 2:50 AM
    Monday, March 24, 2014 2:48 AM

All replies

• I was able to resolve this issue as follows.  However, why it occurred is unknown at this time and unrelated to a corrupted Outlook Profile, as mentioned on my prior post.  It seems highly probable that it was caused by the recent batch of Microsoft Updates for this product which included Service Pack (SP) 2.

1) Performed a "repair" of Outlook 2010, via the Control Panel > Programs and Features.
    2) Rebooted.
    3) Prior to launching Outlook, returned to Control Panel > Mail and configured the location of my PST file (not in default directory).
    4) Had to reestablish as off my mail accounts, settings/preferences/etc. This step was the most tedious and frustrating.

• Marked as answer by Paulie-D Monday, March 24, 2014 2:50 AM
    Monday, March 24, 2014 2:48 AM
  • Thanks Paulie.  I had the same issue on the 27th of March.  FWIW, I just did your steps 1 and 2 and it solved the problem for me without steps 3 and 4.

But my goodness, what a pain!

Saturday, March 29, 2014 11:02 PM
  • Thanks Paulie. Steps 1 and 2 worked for me also. I'm glad I trawled around and didn't take microsoft's advice. shame microsoft won't admit to the error and give people the right solution.
    Tuesday, April 1, 2014 10:39 AM
  • Hi,

I followd your suggestion and did only steps 1 and 2 and it workd!!!

Thanks a lot, Paulie!

• Proposed as answer by TY_852 Tuesday, September 3, 2019 7:11 AM
    Saturday, June 28, 2014 9:25 AM
  • Hi,

I followd your suggestion and did only steps 1 and 2 and it workd!!!

Thanks a lot, Paulie!

Saturday, June 28, 2014 9:26 AM
  • As with others experiencing the same issue, I followed steps 1 and 2 (repair Office and reboot) and it fixed the problem.
    Thursday, October 9, 2014 11:15 AM
  • There is no "repair" option.
    Tuesday, May 24, 2016 4:31 PM
  • Right click on Microsoft Office and you'll get 4 options one of which is repair

S. Ira Grossman Builthabitat

Saturday, September 3, 2016 9:16 PM
  • Thanks Paulie.  I had the same issue on the 17th of September  2016.  FWIW, I just did your steps 1 and 2 and it solved the problem for me without steps 3 and 4.
    Saturday, September 17, 2016 4:36 PM
  • Thanks alot, even i was able to resolve this with just first 2 steps.
    Thursday, March 2, 2017 12:43 PM
  • Thank you! Like the others, I resolved it with 1) and 2) even though I, like you, had the .pst in a non-default location. This was very helpful!

Thursday, March 9, 2017 2:29 PM
  • Thanks Paulie.  I faced the same issue today. I did your steps 1 and 2 and it solved the problem for me without steps 3 and 4.
    Saturday, March 25, 2017 12:44 PM
  • Thank you so much Paulie !  I spent the last 2 days trying to figure out how to get my outlook working again!  I was at the end of my rope & thought I should uninstalled Microsoft 2010 & re-installed it until I came across your post.  It did work with step 1 & 2.  Again THANK YOU!
    Friday, May 26, 2017 8:38 PM
  • Firstly Outlook 2010 does not show up in my Control Panel (even though I have the programme)

Secondly, if I click on Microsoft Office than that only gives me two options, one of which is not repair (same if I right click on it)

This all went wrong when I installed Office 365 - seems to have messed up my Office 2010 Professional Plus.

Really peed off with Microsoft.

Sunday, May 28, 2017 7:36 AM
  • Paulie,

Thanks for this post. I'm running Outlook 2010 on Win 10. Out of blue, the send/receive stopped functioning. The screen displayed exact same messages as you posted above. I Messed with trying to fix this for couple hours . . . downloading that "Outlook Hotmail Connector" file. No luck. I ran steps 1 and 2 as noted above, boom, problem solved. In Win 10 the repair had to go with right click on "Uninstall" Microsoft Office Professional 2010, as Outlook was not listed separately. I think the malfunction send/receive was triggered by an update to Win 10. I suspect Win 10 does not like older versions of software. My Quickbooks version would not work on Win 10.

Tom

Monday, May 29, 2017 4:26 PM
  • H-K-P

Here is what I know:

1) Outlook 2010 will likely not show up as a single line item in Programs - Uninstall. It is included in the package of programs contained in your Microsoft Office suite. 

2) When you right click on Microsoft office, you do get 2 options: Uninstall and change

3) Left click on change, then those 4 options pop up. one of which is repair.

4) left click on repair and it runs the repair sequence on all office programs i guess.

Whatever it does, it worked perfectly to fix my Outlook.

Good luck

Tom

Monday, May 29, 2017 4:38 PM
  • I just now had the same issue on a new Office2010 install in Win10.  Outlook2010, never before used on this computer, would not allow me create an email account, with the exact same "red" warnings.  No update was in progress, as CPU activity was low and I let the warning remain for hours.  Rebooting and updating Windows didn't help.  I then followed steps 1 nad 2 above": I went to ControlPanel>Programs&Features>MSOffice2010>Change and selected the "repair" option.  When the repair ended I rebooted and my Outlook 2010 looks like new, as it is.  I can now transfer my email accounts from another computer to this one.
    Monday, May 29, 2017 5:57 PM
  • Thank you Paulie, Tom and others . Yes same issue after the MS updates from last week.  But snce tomorrow is my first day back to work I needed to fix this email issue.  It took hrs trying stuff and then trying the smiple after finding this thread.  MS i am sure we are a fraction of users affected after your update.  However, we have wndows office 10 pro for reason. In my case a have 6 plus years of email files as part of my .pst file that I can't loose.  Honestly, I / we should bill you for this time lost. Regards DJ
    Tuesday, May 30, 2017 6:23 AM
  • ditto for your post
    Tuesday, May 30, 2017 6:23 AM
  • I found that going into Control Panel, uninstall programs and highlighting MS Outlook 2010 and then REPAIRING it solved the problem within minutes (then a reboot, after the Repair).
    Tuesday, May 30, 2017 7:07 PM
  • This fix worked for me! Awesome, an hour without mail but back up and running! Thank you
    Thursday, September 28, 2017 2:44 PM
  • Despite Microsoft's best effort to completely screw me over (Like that's never happened before), I was able to repair my Outlook 2010 email issues by doing steps 1 and 2 - I did not need to do steps 3 and 4.

Like some others have commented, I had Office 365 at one time - hated it. Total garbage.

When my Office 365 subscription was due for renewal, I said screw it and went back to Office 2010 which performed flawlessly for me for years until Microsoft's latest bad idea, Office 365, was birthed.

Oddly enough, when my Office 365 subscription was due for renewal, I simply did not renew the subscription - but DID NOT delete Office 365 from my computer.

Today, I had some issues with a program that was sending an error report to the manufacturer. The software kept trying to open Outlook from Office 365 instead of Outlook from Office 2010. I had finally had enough and deleted Office 365 from my computer.

It is when I deleted Office 365 from my computer these problems started.

Thank God the repair spelled out above by Paulie-D worked. Thank you

I think most people - myself included - assumed Office 365 was its own entity and Office 2010 was its own entity and the two never to touch each other. HELL NO!

Some how, some way, when you have Office 365. it infects Office 2010 and completely screws everything up.

Office 2010 does everything I need it to do without all the drama, headaches and poorly thought out problems of Office 365. Knowing everything I know now, I wished I'd never subscribed to Office 365. I would explain why but that post would take me a month to write and would probably cause this website to crash.

Good luck!

Tuesday, October 10, 2017 8:44 PM
  • Man From Uncle, this advice, at the end of a long string of emails, finally fixed the problem for me.  Unlike everyone else who was fortunate enough to have a fixed problem after "doing 1) and 2) above", it did not work for me.  However, after reading your email, I tried deleting Office 365, then did 1) and 2), and THAT fixed my problem.

I just bought this new Laptop yesterday and it had 365 pre-installed.  I find it so sad that even though this problem was identified as early as 2011, Microsoft still doesn't have it fixed by the time a Laptop was built in 2017!

But I want to thank you all for your postings here,; I would never have been able to fix the problem today if it hadn't been for all of your helpful information.

Thank you

Sunday, October 29, 2017 1:49 AM
  • Paulie, I never respond to any form before, but since I fought this problem for three days and you were the one who solved the problem, I had to give a big thank you.  As with one of the respondents I only had to do one and two in your solution, but Boom! It works! No thanks to Microsoft!
    Saturday, January 6, 2018 9:17 PM
  • Paulie-D, Your's is the gift that keeps on giving. This just worked (with only steps 1 and 2). Thank you.
    Friday, January 19, 2018 7:57 PM
  • Paulie-D, Your's is the gift that keeps on giving. This just worked (with only steps 1 and 2). Thank you.
    Friday, January 19, 2018 7:58 PM
  • I am a rank amateur, but the Problem resolved for me with the following steps:

Operating system and programs involved were Windows 10, Microsoft Outlook 2010, 32 bit. 

1) Go to CONTROL PANEL (use search, type in CONTROL PANEL)

2) In CONTROL PANEL, click PROGRAMS AND FEATURES.

3) In PROGRAMS AND FEATURES, click MICROSOFT OFFICE HOME AND BUSINESS 2010.  (You may have a different version)

4) Click REPAIR.

5) Restart your computer.

My overall approach was to "Repair" all the Microsoft programs in PROGRAMS AND FEATURES one at a time, and the above steps resolved the problem for me. I did not have to remove or reset anything.  Good luck.

Monday, January 22, 2018 5:47 PM
  • I am a rank amateur, but the Problem resolved for me with the following steps:

Operating system and programs involved were Windows 10, Microsoft Outlook 2010, 32 bit. 

1) Go to CONTROL PANEL (use search, type in CONTROL PANEL)

2) In CONTROL PANEL, click PROGRAMS AND FEATURES.

3) In PROGRAMS AND FEATURES, click MICROSOFT OFFICE HOME AND BUSINESS 2010.  (You may have a different version)

4) Click REPAIR.

5) Restart your computer.

My overall approach was to "Repair" all the Microsoft programs in PROGRAMS AND FEATURES one at a time, and the above steps resolved the problem for me. I did not have to remove or reset anything.  Good luck.

Yes - that is what the original solution suggests provided way up above by "Paulie-D" - not sure why you are repeating what he said way back in 2014 - does not add any usefulness to this thread
    Wednesday, January 24, 2018 11:08 AM
  • Yes the 1st two steps worked for me as well. After restarting computer Outlook is now fine.
    • Edited by sputmon79 Wednesday, February 14, 2018 9:43 PM
    Wednesday, February 14, 2018 9:42 PM
  • Paulie, you are a life saver!  Your steps 1 and 2 worked just fine for me as well.  Thanks a million! 
    Wednesday, May 16, 2018 6:37 PM
  • THANK YOU. I just updated today from Windows 10 v1809 to v1903 and ran into the described issue with Outlook 2010, steps 1 and 2 solved it.
    Thursday, May 23, 2019 8:35 PM
  • June 2019 and this problem still occurs.

Paulie-D: Thanks for the info and suggested fix.  As many others who have contributed to this discussion have noted, steps 1 and 2 solved the problem for me.

Tom Shive: Your additional information above was also very useful, because I was also getting only the "uninstall" and "change" options and couldn't figure out where to find "repair"until I read your post.  Thanks! You would think "repair" would be as important for Microsoft to automatically list as an option as the other two (rather than have its users try to figure out where it is), but then again, we are talking about Microsoft.

You guys saved me the $109 it would have cost me to have my local computer tech fix the problem.  

• Edited by Mr. DRD Saturday, June 1, 2019 2:10 PM
    Saturday, June 1, 2019 2:09 PM
  • Yes!  Thank you Paulie.  Great info.  Did not know what was happening.  Helped save me a lot of frustration.

Wednesday, June 5, 2019 11:04 PM
  • Following your advice and did only step 1 and 2 and it worked!

Thank you, Paulie.

Tuesday, September 3, 2019 7:14 AM
  • This worked for me too.  I only had to do repair and reboot and everything is fine.  In my case, Outlook was not listed on Programs and features - I had to select Office Professional. Perhaps you can only select Outlook if you installed it by itself without the Office suite, but doing the whole Office repair worked fine and may have fixed some additional stuff.
    Wednesday, September 4, 2019 7:07 PM
  • Thank you, Paulie-D. Steps 1 and 2 resolved my client's issue.
    Thursday, November 7, 2019 6:01 PM
  • Here it is November 2019 and your solution is still relevant.  Good job.  My experience with this issue appeared immediately after a November 7, 2019 windows update.  I sure hope MS does not remove these helpful technet posts.  I often look for items that used to exist and they have been removed form the Microsoft site.  Now, when I view/download posts, files, etc.  I save them to nas since MS removes them so often.  We are being pushed full throttle to a cloud that has no discipline.  Features are here today-gone tomorrow.  Sad.  thank you.
    16 hours 36 minutes ago