Event ID: 1058 - Processing of Group Policy failed. Windows attempted to read file \\domain.com\SysVol\ domain.com \Policies\{xx}\gpt.ini from domain controller and was not successful. RRS feed

• Domanda

• If anyone has seen this or knows why it’s occurring your input would be greatly appreciated. I just recently attempted to deploy software using group policy when I noticed the server logging a series of Event ID 1058, GroupPolicy (Microsoft-Windows-GroupPolicy).

Event details are as follows (replaced domain name):

The processing of Group Policy failed. Windows attempted to read the file \\localdomain.domain.com\SysVol\ localdomain.domain.com \Policies\{761C5A63-77D4-4999-8C60-9B46FFA1F4A1}\gpt.ini from a domain controller and was not successful. Group Policy settings may not be applied until this event is resolved. This issue may be transient and could be caused by one or more of the following:

a) Name Resolution/Network Connectivity to the current domain controller.

b) File Replication Service Latency (a file created on another domain controller has not replicated to the current domain controller).

c) The Distributed File System (DFS) client has been disabled.

The issue I found but am unable to resolve:

I confirmed name resolution, replication, DFS and connectivity. I have a 2008 32bit AD controller and a 2012 R2 AD controller. I noticed the Events on the 2012 server and ran dcdiag /c /v. After looking at the event itself I attempted to check the actual path (UNC from the server: \\domain.domain.com\SysVol\ localdomain.domain.com \Policies\{761C5A63-77D4-4999-8C60-9B46FFA1F4A1}\gpt.ini) and see if it truly existed on the target 2008 32bit AD server, it didn’t at that path. I logged into the 2008 AD server, searched and found it was at another location. I am unable to find anyone with this issue and not sure why. I figured try copying the folder there, that didn’t work.

What I found when manually going to the server and going to c:\windows\sysvol – I have the following folders:

-Domain              - this is where it’s located.

-Staging

-Staging areas

-Sysvol (share)   – this is where it’s looking…

I found the file under c:\Windows\Sysvol\Domian\Policies\{761C5A63-77D4-4999-8C60-9B46FFA1F4A1}\gpt.ini, the 2012 server is wanting it at: c:\Windows\Sysvol\Sysvol\ localdomain.domian.com \Policies\{761C5A63-77D4-4999-8C60-9B46FFA1F4A1}\gpt.ini

~ “I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.” ~Thomas Edison

mercoledì 21 gennaio 2015 16:52

Risposte

• Hi,

>> I confirmed name resolution, replication, DFS and connectivity.

Before going further, what replication mechanism are we using for replicating Sysvol, FRS or DFSR?  

Based on the description, we can check FRS or DFS Replication log under Applications and Services Logs in Event Viewer to see if some related events were logged.

Besides, on server 2008,  we can do a non-authoritative restore for Sysvol to tackle the issue.

To do a non-authoritative restore, if we are using FRS to replicate Sysvol, the following article can be referred to as reference.

Using the BurFlags registry key to reinitialize File Replication Service replica sets

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290762

If we are using DFSR to replicate Sysvol, the following article can be referred to as reference.

How to force an authoritative and non-authoritative synchronization for DFSR-replicated SYSVOL (like "D4/D2" for FRS)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2218556

TechNet Subscriber Support
    If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Best regards,

Frank Shen

• Modificato Frank Shen5 giovedì 22 gennaio 2015 03:14
    • Contrassegnato come risposta Frank Shen5 martedì 3 febbraio 2015 15:20
    giovedì 22 gennaio 2015 03:03
  •  
    > I found the file under
    > */c:\Windows\Sysvol\Domian\Policies\{761C5A63-77D4-4999-8C60-9B46FFA1F4A1}\gpt.ini/*,
    > the 2012 server is wanting it at: */c:\Windows\Sysvol\Sysvol\
    > localdomain.domian.com
    > \Policies\{761C5A63-77D4-4999-8C60-9B46FFA1F4A1}\gpt.ini/*

The latter is a symlink for the first one (localdomain.domain.com points
    to domain).

Check the same path on your other DC - you will not find it. Then follow
    Franks advice and repair sysvol replication :)

Martin

Mal ein GUTES Buch über GPOs lesen?

NO THEY ARE NOT EVIL, if you know what you are doing: Good or bad GPOs?
    And if IT bothers me - coke bottle design refreshment :))
    giovedì 22 gennaio 2015 13:33

Tutte le risposte

• Hi,

>> I confirmed name resolution, replication, DFS and connectivity.

Before going further, what replication mechanism are we using for replicating Sysvol, FRS or DFSR?  

Based on the description, we can check FRS or DFS Replication log under Applications and Services Logs in Event Viewer to see if some related events were logged.

Besides, on server 2008,  we can do a non-authoritative restore for Sysvol to tackle the issue.

To do a non-authoritative restore, if we are using FRS to replicate Sysvol, the following article can be referred to as reference.

Using the BurFlags registry key to reinitialize File Replication Service replica sets

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290762

If we are using DFSR to replicate Sysvol, the following article can be referred to as reference.

How to force an authoritative and non-authoritative synchronization for DFSR-replicated SYSVOL (like "D4/D2" for FRS)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2218556

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Best regards,

Frank Shen

• Modificato Frank Shen5 giovedì 22 gennaio 2015 03:14
    giovedì 22 gennaio 2015 03:03
  •  
    > I found the file under
    > */c:\Windows\Sysvol\Domian\Policies\{761C5A63-77D4-4999-8C60-9B46FFA1F4A1}\gpt.ini/*,
    > the 2012 server is wanting it at: */c:\Windows\Sysvol\Sysvol\
    > localdomain.domian.com
    > \Policies\{761C5A63-77D4-4999-8C60-9B46FFA1F4A1}\gpt.ini/*

The latter is a symlink for the first one (localdomain.domain.com points
    to domain).

Check the same path on your other DC - you will not find it. Then follow
    Franks advice and repair sysvol replication :)

Martin

Mal ein GUTES Buch über GPOs lesen?

NO THEY ARE NOT EVIL, if you know what you are doing: Good or bad GPOs?
    And if IT bothers me - coke bottle design refreshment :))
    giovedì 22 gennaio 2015 13:33
  • Hi,

How is it going? If you need further help regarding the issue, please don't hesitate to let us know.

Best regards,

Frank Shen

lunedì 26 gennaio 2015 09:06