none
File access

Domanda

• Hello, 

We have a user who is using a program that accesses a cloud database.  The program reads an .ini file at:

C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\ServantPC\spcrdb.ini

According to the tech support of the ServantPC program, his machine cannot read the .ini file.  It seems as though it cannot access the file.

I've checked the file path, and the user has read/write permissions, and the user is also a local admin on the machine.  

I've also logged in as a local user on the machine and the program works.  We are running AD on Windows Server 08.  

Are there any GPO settings or settings in AD I should look for to remedy this issue?  Thank you. 

giovedì 17 maggio 2018 15:35

Tutte le risposte

• Hi JoePark,

You mean if you log as local admin, then  cannot read the .ini file? But if you log on as another local user, the program works fine, right?

If so, I suggest you could check about UAC problem.  Could you please disable UAC temporarily to have a check.

UAC creates a split Access Token. Users in Local Administrators group will work as standard user. It means the standard user that without any specify permission for the   .ini file, so it is possible that when you run as local admin, the program couldn't running.

But for another local user, if you have assigned the explicit permission for the file path and for the program. Then you could just run as you excepted.

In your scenario, if after you  disable UAC temporarily , local admin could also work. Then it should be the UAC problem. Since for security problem, it is not suggested to disable UAC permanently. You could consider to just assign related permission to standard user to run the program.

In addition, here is the article about User Account Control registry and group policy.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-server-2008-R2-and-2008/dd835564(v=ws.10)

Best Regards,

Mary

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

venerdì 18 maggio 2018 05:30
    Moderatore
  • Hi,
    Could the above reply be of help? If yes, you may mark it as answer, if not, feel free to feed back
    Best Regards,
    Mary

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

lunedì 21 maggio 2018 07:28
    Moderatore
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Mary

martedì 22 maggio 2018 07:53
    Moderatore