none
DC upgrade

Domanda

• Hi,

We have three Windows 2008 R2 DC. We plan to upgrade to Windows 2016. Can someone provide me with the step-by-step upgrade instructions? also like check list?

Another question is if I should wait until 2016 R2 release to upgrade?

Please advise!

Thanks in advance!

Grace

mercoledì 13 giugno 2018 23:58

Risposte

• There will be no Server 2016 R2

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/get-started/windows-server-release-info

I'd use dcdiag / repadmin tools to verify health correcting all errors found before starting. Then I'd stand up the new 2016, patch it fully, license it, join existing domain, add active directory domain services, promote it also making it a GC (recommended), transfer FSMO roles over (optional), transfer pdc emulator role (optional), use dcdiag / repadmin tools to verify health, when all is good you can decommission / demote old one and move on to next one.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

• Modificato Dave PatrickMVP giovedì 14 giugno 2018 02:25
    • Contrassegnato come risposta graceyin39 giovedì 14 giugno 2018 15:09
    giovedì 14 giugno 2018 00:18
  • Hi Grace,

Besides the Active directory service, is there any others roles on your server 2008r2?

According to the Microsoft, it doesn't support  upgrade in place directly from Windows Server 2008R2 Windows Server 2016.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/identity/ad-ds/deploy/upgrade-domain-controllers

As  a workaround, we can build a new Windows Server 2016 Domain Controller in the domain and the active directory will migrate automatically to Windows Server 2016.

In short;

- Join Server 2016 to existing domain

- Then promote Server 2016 as Domain Controller

- Then transfer fsmo roles to new Server 2016 DC.

- and add second server 2016 with same procedure.

When these steps will OK,  then  you can demote old server 2008R2 DC   from domain.

Best Regards,

Mary

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

giovedì 14 giugno 2018 06:13
    Moderatore
  • DNS would be an integrated part of adding active directory domain services role to your new server. For DHCP migration you can follow along here.

www.taamneh.com/2017/02/15/how-to-migrate-configured-dhcp-from-windows-server-2008r2-to-2016/

(also note it's recommended to ask each new question in a separate thread to maintain forums thread clarity.)

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

• Modificato Dave PatrickMVP giovedì 14 giugno 2018 15:30
    • Contrassegnato come risposta graceyin39 giovedì 14 giugno 2018 16:12
    giovedì 14 giugno 2018 15:22

Tutte le risposte

• There will be no Server 2016 R2

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/get-started/windows-server-release-info

I'd use dcdiag / repadmin tools to verify health correcting all errors found before starting. Then I'd stand up the new 2016, patch it fully, license it, join existing domain, add active directory domain services, promote it also making it a GC (recommended), transfer FSMO roles over (optional), transfer pdc emulator role (optional), use dcdiag / repadmin tools to verify health, when all is good you can decommission / demote old one and move on to next one.

• Modificato Dave PatrickMVP giovedì 14 giugno 2018 02:25
    giovedì 14 giugno 2018 00:18
  • Hi Grace,

Besides the Active directory service, is there any others roles on your server 2008r2?

According to the Microsoft, it doesn't support  upgrade in place directly from Windows Server 2008R2 Windows Server 2016.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/identity/ad-ds/deploy/upgrade-domain-controllers

As  a workaround, we can build a new Windows Server 2016 Domain Controller in the domain and the active directory will migrate automatically to Windows Server 2016.

In short;

- Join Server 2016 to existing domain

- Then promote Server 2016 as Domain Controller

- Then transfer fsmo roles to new Server 2016 DC.

- and add second server 2016 with same procedure.

When these steps will OK,  then  you can demote old server 2008R2 DC   from domain.

Best Regards,

Mary

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

giovedì 14 giugno 2018 06:13
    Moderatore
  • Hi Dave,

Microsoft usually releases R2 2 years after. So I assume it would be this year. Do you know if MS has plan to release 2016 R2 this year?

Thanks,

Grace

giovedì 14 giugno 2018 15:12
  • Hi Mary,

Thank you for your reply. 

Besides DC, they are also DHCP and DNS server. I need to move this two services to the new 2016 DC too. Do you have instructions?

Thanks,

Grace

giovedì 14 giugno 2018 15:14
  • There won't be an "R2" version of Server 2016. They have moved to either a Long-Term Servicing Channel or Semi-Annual Channel releases. Also note Server 2019 may release later this year.

giovedì 14 giugno 2018 15:18
  • DNS would be an integrated part of adding active directory domain services role to your new server. For DHCP migration you can follow along here.

www.taamneh.com/2017/02/15/how-to-migrate-configured-dhcp-from-windows-server-2008r2-to-2016/

(also note it's recommended to ask each new question in a separate thread to maintain forums thread clarity.)

• Modificato Dave PatrickMVP giovedì 14 giugno 2018 15:30
    • Contrassegnato come risposta graceyin39 giovedì 14 giugno 2018 16:12
    giovedì 14 giugno 2018 15:22
  • Thank you Dave! It's hard to make decision. Should we wait for 2019 or upgrade to 2016? 

Thanks,

Grace

giovedì 14 giugno 2018 16:15
  • I guess it depends on current needs. If you're ready to do now then I'd go for Server 2016. Standing up domain controllers can be done in minutes these days (aside from patching) so it will be an easy task down the road to implement Server 2019 if needed.

giovedì 14 giugno 2018 16:20