none
Windows 10 Pro for Workstations - Not-Applicable (WSUS) for 1803 Feature Update

Domanda

• We've been battling an issue at our organization for several months now regarding Windows 10 Professional 1709 workstations not receiving the 1803 Feature Update that was released in early May 2018.  The main symptom of this issue is that these workstations are showing a status of "Not Applicable" for the 1803 Feature Update which has applied for other workstations.

We have identified that the only workstations exhibiting this behavior show an operating system name of "Windows 10 Pro for Workstations", as opposed to the other workstations' OS (which received 1803 through WSUS successfully) simply named "Windows 10 Pro".  

Is there a separate set of instructions for servicing feature updates to Windows 10 Pro for Workstations through WSUS that we are missing?  These machines are receiving all other dynamic and cumulative updates without issue through WSUS, it is only the 1803 Feature Update that will not recognize as "needed".

Thank you,

lunedì 2 luglio 2018 16:24

Tutte le risposte

• Hi JoeGio,

Thanks for your information.

Before moving on, could you please provide which update you want to install in Windows 10 Professional 1709 workstations. 

Moreover, my suggestion is that you could download the update manually in this computer. If it cannot be installed, it shows that the update is not applicable  for this edition.

Look forward to your feedback.

Best regards,
    Johnson

=====================
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    martedì 3 luglio 2018 05:33
  • I also just got "Windows 10 Pro for Workstations" on 2 new Dell Precision Laptops and am unable to upgrade from 1709 to 1803. I get error 0xa0000400 when trying to upgrade from MS site. I also get an error when trying to upgrade from USB. It starts the install and then reverts and gives an error I don't have access to at the moment.

This system is brand new and has no configuration changes that could be causing the issue.

Working with Dell right now as well.

- LZ

• Modificato LZ33 martedì 3 luglio 2018 15:28
    martedì 3 luglio 2018 15:28
  • Well, 

On second system, which I had to activate first, going to Windows Update first pulled 1803 down and installed. The first system, which I had tried to upgrade via USB first and failed, pulled down 1709 updates using Windows Updates and would never pull 1803. I reset the laptop to factory defaults, connected to network and ran Windows Updates and at first it started installing 1709 updates etc..., but suddenly they disappeared and the 1803 update began to download and install.

Long story short, both are at 1803 now.

- LZ

martedì 3 luglio 2018 18:49
  • Hi JoeGio,

Before moving on, could you please provide which update you want to install in Windows 10 Professional 1709 workstations. 

Moreover, my suggestion is that you could download the update manually in this computer. If it cannot be installed, it shows that the update is not applicable  for this edition.

Look forward to your feedback.

Best regards,
    Johnson

=====================
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

To clarify the exact name of the update(s) that is showing as "Not Applicable" for 1709 Windows 10 Pro for Workstations systems are:

"Feature update to Windows 10 (business editions), version 1803"

and/or

"Feature update to Windows 10 (consumer editions), version 1803"

While initiating the install manually through Windows Update has been tested to work properly, this is unacceptable for our organization as we have no way to deploy the update through WSUS in a managed/scheduled way.  Not to mention that this will be a recurring problem when the next feature update is released.

Again, we've narrowed it down to the OS version "Windows 10 Pro for Workstations" to be the only OS affected by this issue, all other "Windows 10 Pro" systems have received the 1803 feature update from WSUS and installed according to schedule.  We're looking for an explanation/solution for how we can manage the feature update process for these W10 Pro for Workstations systems.

Thank you,

giovedì 5 luglio 2018 19:48
  • Hi,

I recommend to manually dowload the update to the computer with Windows 10 Pro for Workstations system from microsoft, and then install it. 

If it can be installed, you can import the update to the WSUS. The computers with Windows 10 Pro for Workstations system could get updates through WSUS.

If not, the update is not applicable for this system.

Best regards,
    Johnson

=====================
    venerdì 6 luglio 2018 08:12
  • We're seeing the same thing in our business.  Nothing I have tried so far seems to make the update available for Windows 10 Pro for Workstations devices.  Would be nice to have an answer/solution beyond manually importing into WSUS.  
    giovedì 12 luglio 2018 18:01
  • Any news on this one? We have a same problem. All the Win10 Pro for workstations show as "not applicable" for 1803 update. 
    mercoledì 18 luglio 2018 13:44
  • Hi,

I recommend to manually dowload the update to the computer with Windows 10 Pro for Workstations system from microsoft, and then install it. 

If it can be installed, you can import the update to the WSUS. The computers with Windows 10 Pro for Workstations system could get updates through WSUS.

If not, the update is not applicable for this system.

Best regards,
    Johnson

=====================
    From where do you download? I had no luck with ms catalog. The "KB articles" in wsus says that 1803 should be kb3012973 and the "more information link" says 507415, but neither gives any results in microsoft update catalog.
    mercoledì 18 luglio 2018 14:02
  • Hi,

According to the problem, I do some research. There is no official articles showing the updates of 1803 Feature Update for the Windows 10 Pro for Workstations. This version is a special one of the Windows10.

Best regards,
    Johnson
    =====================
    giovedì 19 luglio 2018 02:56
  • Hi,

I have also wasted time trying to figure this out.

Had a new pc from Dell out of the box, didn't notice it had the "workstation" version installed.

It wasn't getting the 1803 from WSUS, everything else patching fine.

Tried downloading the update from Microsoft and installing manually but it fails immediately with error 0xa0000400 as LZ33 also had above.

Re: Johnson, it is not a "special" version of Windows.  It is a mainstream and supported version of Windows and I would hope that Microsoft would have made this update available.

It seems as far as I can tell, it's not available right now.

No panic for me now that I know but a waste of my time.  I'm sure others have wasted time with this too.

More information please Microsoft.

Cheers

Graham

venerdì 20 luglio 2018 09:35

• I'm confused. I clearly stated that this update will install via Windows Update if no other updates are installed and it's fresh install (This is not to say there aren't other ways), so it is not just for other versions of Windows 10. It works on Pro Workstation. I can screenshot it on Monday if anyone needs proof. 

- LZ

• Modificato LZ33 sabato 21 luglio 2018 01:56
    sabato 21 luglio 2018 01:55
  • Perhaps it is available if you let your computer connect to Microsoft directly.  We don't.

It is not available via WSUS, as far as I can tell.

lunedì 23 luglio 2018 08:31
  • I'll pile on to this thread.  Anyone have an update or solution.  My 1511 and 1607 desktops see the update.  But my 1709 do not.  Since this is about 300 workstations, we do not have the ability to manually go to each station and start an update from Microsoft directly.

Fly Navy, Scott MCSE CEH CISSP

mercoledì 22 agosto 2018 13:26