Outlook 2016 Desktop, Inbox "resets" RRS feed

• Question

• I'm having issues with Outlook where my inbox (connected to Exchange Server) "resets" and completely empties and then has to redownload everything from the server. This happens to me multiple times per day. The mail isn't actually deleted and if I log into OWA on the web I can see everything, it is only affecting me through Outlook.

Issue occurred both in Outlook 2013 and now 2016.

I've deleted my OST multiple times and had it recreated.

I've deleted my Mail profile and recreated.

I've slimmed down what I store on Exchange. It's currently about 800 items in the inbox and less than 650mb (in the inbox proper)

Cached Exchange mode is enabled and I've played with the length of time... from 6 months to 12 to 24.

I've searched the web and can't find anything. I've engaged our IT team and they don't know what's causing it. I've enabled logging in Outlook, but I can't interpret the logs.

It FEELS like if I'm on a slow internet connection it happens more frequently. Almost like it loses sync with Exchange. It only seems to affect the actual inbox, and other nested folders on Exchange don't seem to be affected. Same with the calendar. I don't know if that's all in my head or not...

Any ideas Netizens?

Friday, August 26, 2016 5:37 PM

Answers

• Hi Alltravis,

Except above suggestions, I also recommend you change another PC as a test and check if there is the same issue.

If the issue just occur on you PC, that would be a client issue. You also need to check the following :

1. When the issue occurred? you need to check if there is any change recently could be resulted in the issue. like update , Anti-virurs..

If the issue occurred after something be changed, try to restore back and check again .

2. Try using outlook safe mode to check if the same issue occurs.

If outlook safe mode no problem, may be some outlook add-ins caused the issue, you can follow the above suggestion to run a clean re-installation and check again.

Best regards,

Niko Cheng
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Niko.Cheng Monday, September 5, 2016 2:39 AM
    • Marked as answer by Niko.Cheng Friday, September 9, 2016 2:06 AM
    Monday, August 29, 2016 2:24 AM

All replies

• I recommend that you post this in the Outlook Forum:  http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/outlook/threads

In 20+ years of Exchange peer support, I can safely say that I don't recall ever hearing of a problem like this.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Friday, August 26, 2016 5:55 PM
  • Hi

Well, if you can give a little more info about your computer/laptop. How you are login to the computer and if your computer is domain joined?

When you login, is it showing "temporary user profile"? 

Check the IP details if using DHCP or static IP, the DNS settings are correct. Are you mostly using WiFi or did you checked by connecting Ethernet cable?

If all the above are perfect, then uninstall Outlook (or complete MS Office), remove the installed folders from program files, and re-install MS office as a clean installation. 

Thanks

Prabodha

Saturday, August 27, 2016 6:20 PM
  • Hi Alltravis,

Except above suggestions, I also recommend you change another PC as a test and check if there is the same issue.

If the issue just occur on you PC, that would be a client issue. You also need to check the following :

1. When the issue occurred? you need to check if there is any change recently could be resulted in the issue. like update , Anti-virurs..

If the issue occurred after something be changed, try to restore back and check again .

2. Try using outlook safe mode to check if the same issue occurs.

If outlook safe mode no problem, may be some outlook add-ins caused the issue, you can follow the above suggestion to run a clean re-installation and check again.

Best regards,

Niko Cheng

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Niko.Cheng Monday, September 5, 2016 2:39 AM
    • Marked as answer by Niko.Cheng Friday, September 9, 2016 2:06 AM
    Monday, August 29, 2016 2:24 AM
  • Hi Alltravis,

Is there any update on this thread?

If the issue has been resolved, please mark the helpful replies as answers, this will make answer searching in the forum easier and be beneficial to other community members as well. 

Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

Niko Cheng

Thursday, September 1, 2016 2:21 AM