none
Setup unable to create a new system partition... RRS feed

• Question

• I am experiencing issues in my installation of Win 7 on a brand new system (I7 920, MSI Eclipse, 6GB OCZ RAM, GF 260, 3 x 1TB WD HDD in raid 5).  I have created the raid volume in bios, can see the disk, can create a partition and format it, but each time I select the partition to install to, I get: "Setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate an existing system partition.  See the Setup log files for more information. 

I added a new 250 GB single drive and tried to install to it, same error. 

Any thoughts?
    Tuesday, April 7, 2009 6:08 PM

Answers

• Hi,

That is because the RAID controller or the driver is not compatible with Windows 7 beta. If there is any newer RAID controller driver available, please download and install it when it prompts you to select the system partition in the Windows 7 beta installation. Otherwise, if there is not any other driver, I am afraid that you need to unload the RAID and install Windows 7 beta on a single hard drive.

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 9:07 AM

All replies

• Hi,

That is because the RAID controller or the driver is not compatible with Windows 7 beta. If there is any newer RAID controller driver available, please download and install it when it prompts you to select the system partition in the Windows 7 beta installation. Otherwise, if there is not any other driver, I am afraid that you need to unload the RAID and install Windows 7 beta on a single hard drive.

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 9:07 AM
  • Exclamation Setup was unable to create a system partition...

Incredibly frustrated by a dozen or more attempts at a clean installation of Windows 7 RC1 x64 on a brand new system I just built! Win7 RC1 (x64) simply will NOT install in a RAID 0 configuration on my setup. Each time my installation process stalls with the same message:

"Setup was unable to create a system partition or locate an existing partition."

I cannot go any further and I am forced to end my installation and the computer reboots. I have the latest Intel ICH10R SATA RAID drivers on a thumbdrive (instead of crappy floppy 'F6' style) and I've tried loading the ICH10R drivers from thumbdrive AND mb maunfacturer's DVD. The partitioned drives are never recognized properly by the Win7 setup apparently. Although the patitions ARE VISIBLE and I can expand the ADVANCED OPTIONS and delete, format, etc., I receive the same error message above and can go no further. No luck with anything I've tried. I've spent hours and hours scouring the net for answers to this issue. Apparently this message is VERY COMMON but no one has a reliable answer at all.

I have checked, checked and RECHECKED my BIOS settings and have even gone to great lengths to insure that ALL non-essential hardware is disconnected during these install attempts. I have even moved my SATA DVD connection from the ICH10 to onboard Gigaraid SATA controller. The ONLY HDDs installed on the ICH10 are the two velociraptors which are configured by the RAID BIOS and are properly recognized by the system and Win7 installer.

My system:
    GIGABYTE EX58-EXTREME mb
    Intel i7 920 quad-core processor
    12GB DDR3-tri-channel OCZ ram
    (2) 300 GB WD Velociraptors in RAID 0 configuration
    Samsung SATA DVD burner
    Sapphire HD4870 1GB GDDR5 PCIe GPU
    ((no FDD at all, so using 8GB thumbdrive for F6 drivers))

All additional drives (WD 1TB eSATA drive and other Raptor drives) are NOT connected at this time to avoid causing conflicts!

I have recently read posts that indicate there are 2 log files created during each attempt at installing Windows 7. I found them in the following location: X:\windows\panther\ however, there seems to be no usable information contained in these files to aid in troubleshooting this problem.

Is this a known problem with a workaround, or is M$ even trying to resolve this issue, which is happening to countless individuals trying to perform a clean installation Win 7 RC1 (and Beta build 7000)?

Thanks in advance for any and all help!
    Brendon

sidenote: I'm not very happy with this RC. To be honest it does not feel as solid as the first beta release I was successfully running on my older dual Pentium system that was setup in a RAID 10, tri-boot environment with XP x86, Vista Ultimate x64 and Win7 x64 beta. Sadly, that RAID configuration was setup using the ICH7R 'F6' pre-load drivers under XP pro and I had installed Win7 into a it's own partition on that array...so perhaps this problem existed then. The problem never showed itself until I attempted a clean install onto a brand new system...never before used drives, no other os, etc. Go figure! You'd think Windows 7 would have been PLEASED to have such fast hardware and optimal conditions for installation. Oh well. (shrugs) Maybe by Windoze 8...9....or more likely 10, we'll actually have a Microsoft OS that will play nicely with RAID configurations! One would think that this issue would be a thing of the past considering all of the work that went into Server 2008--I mean, that's an Enterprise level OS where RAID support is virtually mandatory. It's just very disappointing to know this new OS will roll out this fall and it STILL won't install onto a most basic RAID 0 setup!
    Monday, May 11, 2009 3:37 AM
  • Hi

I have the same problem, with 2 hard drive (Raid 0 and a single hard drive)
    Error :  "Setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate an existing system partition on the Raid 0 and my single hard drive
    the error comes from there ICH10 drivers is not signed with Seven x64 ?

ASUS P5Q-PRO (ICH10R)
    8 Gb Ram
    Intel E8400
    Monday, May 11, 2009 8:21 AM
  • Hi all!

I was also having this error message, that wouldn't let me install Windows 7 RC, on a RAID0 system. After reading all your answers i thought i had to give up and return to a single-disk installation.

I returned to Bios, selected "Hard Disk Boot Priority" and changed the Raid disk from 2nd to 1st place. After that the installation of Windows 7 RC completed normally :)

My MB is a Gigabyte P35-DQ6, and the RAID0 was made with 2 WD Raptor-X 150Gb.

I hope this helps. Regards to all!!
    • Proposed as answer by Sanmartin Saturday, June 20, 2009 1:53 PM
    Sunday, May 17, 2009 6:00 PM
  • masilli :

- So simple.  Who would've thunk...That worked for me - THANKS!!!
    Saturday, June 20, 2009 12:50 PM
  • Windows wants to place its bootloader on the disk that is booted by the BIOS, it's really that simple.
    Mobile AMD64 3000+, VIA Apollo K8T800 chipset, 1 G RAM, ATIRadeonMobility 9700, 20x DVDRW, C:XPSP3 (55G),D:WIN7 (25G),F:DATA (250G)
    Saturday, June 20, 2009 1:58 PM
  • I had the same problem, was about to give up and reinstall my previous version of Windows Vista, but came across this posting.

I would have never though along those lines.  At first, the error occurred and said it couldn't create the system partition, I then went ahead and tried to format the partition (c:) where I had the previous windows on it.  It attempted to format it,  very quickly processed the request, and renamed my partition to a generic Partition 0, etc. Thus, destroying my boot drive.  So quiting install at this point was not a fast solution.

My other computer, sitting next to my desktop (a laptop), is what I used to search for a solution.  found this page.

I then went into the BIOS (accessible even though I formated over the boot drive thus far).

Found the Boot Priority Section, and moved up the drive I intended to load Windows on (it was in the Number 2 position, of 4 drives found. 

My system specs are:

GIGABYTE GA-EP45T-UD3P

6GB Ram (Mixed, 4 GB (2x2GB) Corsair Slots 1/3; 2 GB (1x1GB) OCZ Slots 2/4 (Color Coordinated slots)

XFX 8800GTX 600Mhz 768DDR3 ram

Intel QX6800 2.93 Mhz

Memory tested out prior to install showing up in CPU-Z specifications. But of course, windows Computer properties shows only the 3.32 GB.

Windows 7 is still installing right now at the "That's all the information we need right now. - Copying Windows Files, Expanding Windows Files, and it just restarted.

Wish me luck.

Sunday, July 19, 2009 4:24 AM
  • searched far and wide
    the solution was simple
    thanks very much
    Monday, September 28, 2009 4:00 AM
  • Masilli.  You are a genius and I love you!  I've been trying to get Win7 set up on RAID for bloomin ages, since the RC.  That was so simple, didn't even need to add the drivers or anything, thanks a lot!
    Thursday, November 5, 2009 9:47 PM
  • Thank you so much masilli. I just reformatted my computer and couldn't get Windows 7 to install on my dual 300gb Velociraptors in Raid 0. It is now after 5:00 in the morning and I finally came across this post after a desparate Internet search from my iTouch. After hours of fooling with my system, I find that the solution is so simple! You wouldn't beleive all the things I tried before coming across this post. Thanks again. My system: Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P CPU: Core i7 940 GPU: MSI GTX 285 OC RAM: OCZ 6GB @1600MHz HDD: 2x 300GB WD Velociraptors Extra HDD 3x Seagate drives totaling 4TB Audio: X-fi Fatal1ty Titanium OS: Windows 7 Ultimate (finally working)
    Friday, November 6, 2009 10:27 AM
  • Ran into this issue on a T400 Lenovo laptop. Turns out the HDD that I had (Maxtor 120Gb) was not properly formatted. I had to scrub the disk partitions off of it with BartPE "DiskPart" and the install went without a hitch.
    Friday, November 20, 2009 2:37 AM
  • I have since successfully installed Windows 7 (in various flavors) on multiple machines, including my own! 

The process for dealing with this error is SIMPLE:

Unplug every EXTRA hard drive in your system, EXCEPT the one you intend to install the OS on.  (This includes extra USB flash drives that have installation drivers on them, ie., F6 setup disks) 

If install drivers (F6 setup disk) are needed, do NOT insert usb flash drive until prompoted to do so by the Win 7 setup program.  (Windows 7 setup see this drive as another viable partition most of the time if inserted too early, and it stalls the install giving the error people reported in this thread.

After your installation has succeeded, then go in and plug-in all other SATA, PATA, USB, and firewire HDDs.  Windows 7 will now plug & play them all without further problems!

GREAT LUCK TO ALL.  ENJOY USING WINDOWS 7 everyone!!!

• Proposed as answer by usnbrendon Thursday, May 6, 2010 9:03 PM
    Thursday, May 6, 2010 9:03 PM
  • I just finished successfully installing windows 7 on my second harddrive after following the steps above. However, Windows 7 is only recognizing the partitioned section of the harddrive. How do I get windows to recognize both the rest of the primary harddrive, as well as the other harddrive? Only the partitioned section is "NTFS." If that is the type I need, how do I switch my other harddrive, which has all my programs, without losing data? My motherboard is an ASUS p5n-e-sli.
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 5:54 PM
  • Hi everyone,

I am stuck on this portion of installing windows 7 64bit.

I want to feel that great feeling you all are feeling after 2 days of working on this, so please help me out.

I am also not able to install windows 7 and I receive the same message as unable to create a new system partition or locate an exiting system partition.

I have been reading your posts along with others and I don't understand what to put into priority and what to unplug. If someone could help walk me through this, I'd greatly appreciate it!! I just upgrade my ram to 6 gigs and am anxious to see this work with windows 7 64bit and start on my film editing.

I have formatted my harddrive and also am not able to go back to rebooting my vista os which is another problem if I'm not able to install windows 7.

Please do help me as I am not the most literate in computer.

THANK YOU!

Friday, July 16, 2010 10:22 PM
  • Hi everyone,

I am stuck on this portion of installing windows 7 64bit.

I want to feel that great feeling you all are feeling after 2 days of working on this, so please help me out.

I am also not able to install windows 7 and I receive the same message as unable to create a new system partition or locate an exiting system partition.

I have been reading your posts along with others and I don't understand what to put into priority and what to unplug. If someone could help walk me through this, I'd greatly appreciate it!! I just upgrade my ram to 6 gigs and am anxious to see this work with windows 7 64bit and start on my film editing.

I have formatted my harddrive and also am not able to go back to rebooting my vista os which is another problem if I'm not able to install windows 7.

Please do help me as I am not the most literate in computer.

THANK YOU!

Friday, July 16, 2010 10:22 PM
  • Ok, if you have more than one hard drive in your computer, disconnect all the others except for the one you want to install Windows 7 on. After you have unplugged the other hard drives, Windows 7 should be able to be installed on your remaining drive.

If you are still receiving messages that there are problems with the drive, then you may have to change the system specs of the drive. This is tedious, but not difficult. First you will want to download a copy of the ultimate boot disc. It is completely free, and the website for it can be found here: http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html If you scroll down to the bottom of the page, you will see a list of mirror sites to download the program from (do not select the icon at the very top of the page). From these mirror sites, I used 100-downloads.com. Click on the icon with the red arrow, rather than the site link. This will take you to the download page where, again at the bottom, you will be able to download "Ultimate Boot CD 5.02." This link may take you directly to the download page, but I included the instructions just in case: http://100-downloads.com/download.php?p=376 Put the Ultimate boot onto a dvdR or dvdRW.

Once it is on your disc, boot from the disc on your pc. From the main page, the third option down should be "HDD." Then, click on "partition management," then on "Cute Partition Manager." With Cute PM you should be able to set how your hard drive is partitioned. You will want to make the partition "NTFS" which should be the third or fourth option down. Make sure to set both the partitioned and the original Hard drive to NTFS (you can tell what it is by the third column over "filesys." F6 should give you the option of changing the filesys, so hit that and make sure both are NTFS (this is easiest for Windows 7 to read). After you do this, save the changes (F4, I believe), then try to reinstall Windows 7. 

That should be what you need to know. At least that is what I had to do. Good luck!

Saturday, July 17, 2010 6:32 PM
  • I had the same issue.

I spent two days on this, with intel support!

intel server board S5520HC with raid 1 mirror

installing w2k8r2x64

after altering the boot order, no issue

Thank you for this people...

Wednesday, November 3, 2010 10:22 PM
  • OMG,  It still took some playing on my part but that was pretty much the answer.  I had to have the Raid Array be the first drive in the boot order,  I also made sure that my DVDplayer was not on a raid but and IDE sata connection, and had to take out my usb memory stick after installing the Raid Driver but before hitting next on the Hard Drive selection screen.  I was so ready to go after Asus for there crappy drivers but......... Looks like the install program is just insanely touchy with how it wants to install on a set of hard drives.

Thursday, March 10, 2011 4:25 AM
  • Yep, advice is still good. A little more tweaking on my side, which included set the hard disk priority as well as the boot order priority.

Thanks

Tuesday, March 22, 2011 9:35 PM
  • Just had this problem with 2008 Server myself. THANKS Masilli!!
    Thursday, June 9, 2011 2:31 AM
  • Seriously you are a huge help!
    Thursday, June 28, 2012 3:47 PM
  • masalli, that fixed by SBS 2011 install also.  Assign first boot priority to the HD that will take the system partition.  Now it is installing.  You are a tech ninja!

Saturday, September 8, 2012 9:07 PM
  • Masalli u made my day
    Saturday, May 18, 2013 10:17 PM
  • This works!!! Thank you!
    Thursday, May 23, 2013 2:45 PM
  • Thanks!!!

Wednesday, August 6, 2014 3:35 PM
  • Hi all!

I was also having this error message, that wouldn't let me install Windows 7 RC, on a RAID0 system. After reading all your answers i thought i had to give up and return to a single-disk installation.

I returned to Bios, selected "Hard Disk Boot Priority" and changed the Raid disk from 2nd to 1st place. After that the installation of Windows 7 RC completed normally :)

My MB is a Gigabyte P35-DQ6, and the RAID0 was made with 2 WD Raptor-X 150Gb.

I hope this helps. Regards to all!!
    Thanks so much!
    Thursday, September 12, 2019 2:37 AM