mysites membership tab how are the sites calculated? RRS feed

• Question

• There is a membership tab on the mysites pages.  It lists SharePoint sites and ad distribution groups.  Where does the list of SharePoint sites come from?

Are these sites that I have visited?

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 2:56 PM

Answers

• Any site you are given rights to directly will show up in the Memberships list. If you added via a security group, that will do nothing.
    Hope that helps,
    SharePointNinja
    • Marked as answer by jaredmill Tuesday, April 26, 2011 6:57 PM
    Tuesday, April 26, 2011 4:14 PM
  • It is all based on the [Site name] Members group.  It doesn't target the [Site name] Visitors, [Site name] Owners, Site Collection Administrators, or any manually created group.

Chris Caravajal MCTS SharePoint911 Consulting & Support Services
    Tuesday, April 26, 2011 5:23 PM
  • The Membership list is very buggy (or so it seems to me). I have actually removed that tab from my My Sites implementation for just that reason. If you are also importing your groups when you do profile synchs it may be working that way as well. The problem I have seen is that it is not consistent.
    Tuesday, April 26, 2011 5:31 PM

All replies

• Hello,

These are all sites where you are a member of the "[Site Name] Members" group.

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 3:58 PM
  • Any site you are given rights to directly will show up in the Memberships list. If you added via a security group, that will do nothing.
    Hope that helps,
    SharePointNinja
    Tuesday, April 26, 2011 4:14 PM
  • No users were given rights directly.  Why am I seeing sites?
    Tuesday, April 26, 2011 4:42 PM
  • It is all based on the [Site name] Members group.  It doesn't target the [Site name] Visitors, [Site name] Owners, Site Collection Administrators, or any manually created group.

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 5:23 PM
  • The Membership list is very buggy (or so it seems to me). I have actually removed that tab from my My Sites implementation for just that reason. If you are also importing your groups when you do profile synchs it may be working that way as well. The problem I have seen is that it is not consistent.
    Tuesday, April 26, 2011 5:31 PM
  • I have been trawling the internet trying to find out how to remove the Memberships from all users on our SharePoint farm (I'm v. new to SharePoint Administration), could you possibly advise me on how to do this?
    Tuesday, January 10, 2012 11:14 AM
  • Hi Chrissy,

Check out this blog post that I wrote last summer - see the section about  "Removing ‘Tags and Notes’ tab from MySites" - the same method would work for removing the Memberships tab.

http://sp365.co.uk/2011/08/turning-off-social-features-in-sharepoint-2010/

Hope it helps.

Rob

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 12:16 PM
  • Thanks Rob, very helpful :)
    Tuesday, March 13, 2012 12:23 PM
  • This is very helpful

Great...!!!
    Friday, August 30, 2013 3:26 PM