none
Window 7 hang up at Starting Windows" Screen while installing with UEFI mode RRS feed

• Question

• Having problems installing Windows 7 Pro-SP1 from DVD computer with UEFI mode is enabled. Please see step by step as below for more detail:

1. I'm using Lenovo machine T530 with clean HDD
    2. Go to Bios and enabled UEFI only mode
    3. Insert Win7pro-SP1 DVD into optical drive
    4. When I run the Windows 7 disc I get past "windows is loading files..." and then freeze on "starting windows" just after I see 4 little colored balls in the center of the screen.

Notice: Please help me as soon as as possible. Thanks all everyone so much!

Tuesday, November 6, 2012 6:47 AM

Answers

All replies

• Same problem here with HP dv4-5121tx notebook. Booting the installing DVD in Safe Mode, it hanged after displaying "loading disk.sys".

The notebook has a single harddisk. A fresh GPT (plus protective MBR) was created with Ubuntu gdisk utility. The situation is the same if I there is  no partitions or create a few ones.
    Wednesday, November 7, 2012 4:41 AM
  • Hi,

You can check whether the following threads could help

Windows 7 Install Stuck at Setup is Starting.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproinstall/thread/ea05aa7a-b536-4508-9d70-83bfc65b3ed6

Windows 7 Install Hangs at "Starting Windows" Screen

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itproinstall/thread/1ad56a84-c023-437e-8df1-229d4d11df75

Hope this helps.

Vincent Wang

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 8:28 AM
  • Interesting, so disabling some hardware may help... Too bad EVERYTHING besides time and boot order and UEFI is locked in the bios...
    Wednesday, November 7, 2012 2:08 PM
  • Having problems installing Windows 7 Pro-SP1 from DVD computer with UEFI mode is enabled. Please see step by step as below for more detail:

1. I'm using Lenovo machine T530 with clean HDD
    2. Go to Bios and enabled UEFI only mode
    3. Insert Win7pro-SP1 DVD into optical drive
    4. When I run the Windows 7 disc I get past "windows is loading files..." and then freeze on "starting windows" just after I see 4 little colored balls in the center of the screen.

Notice: Please help me as soon as as possible. Thanks all everyone so much!

Hi, 
    had similar (even identical) problem on a brand new Asus F501 which came with Windows 8 installed in ahci & uefi mode.
    After creating a Usb Bootable Uefi Windows Installer had "starting windows" splash screen freeze.
    Either IDE or AHCI sata mode didn't help.
    I solved the issue by enabling in this (horrible) bios, the feature "enable csm" under boot.

Don't know if your lenovo has identical bios or this "magic" feature, hope my post helps.
    • Proposed as answer by AndyR8939 Sunday, September 22, 2013 10:48 PM
    Wednesday, March 20, 2013 10:36 AM
  • thanks, Marullo. I had the same problem, and the same solution either after one week, when i read your post. thank you!

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 9:02 PM
  • On some crappy BIOS (read Dell) the option could be called "Load legacy option ROM"
    Saturday, May 4, 2013 7:30 PM
  • Changing the partition Type of the Hard drive from "GPT" to "MBR" solves this issue with the Windows 7 Installer.

Had this recently when downgrading a Windows 8 (seems to create GPT Partitions by default) to a Windows 7

You can change this with GPARTED (http://gparted.sourceforge.net/)

Be sure to backup you DATA before you do this, as this will destroy all your partitions

Hope this will help all of you!

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 11:51 AM
  • Thanks this fixed my problem!

Sunday, March 16, 2014 4:48 AM
  • I also had that issue and i fixed it by disabling "LAN" in bios under BOOT tab. this was the fix. do that in your bios setting. your bios may be different but you can play around bios settings and find it. 

LAN is a boot option and you may find it along with other boot options like USB,HDD, etc
    • Edited by Donalsam Wednesday, October 17, 2018 10:11 AM
    Wednesday, October 17, 2018 10:09 AM
  • Thanks you saved the day!
    Friday, October 19, 2018 3:13 PM
  • Thanks for the "enable csm" tip! It solved my installation issue on a Toshiba laptop.
    Monday, September 16, 2019 10:03 PM