none
Can we index Hyland's OnBase content in O365 index using Cloud Hybrid approach?

Question

• I know that Hyland's OnBase allows integration support with SharePoint 2013, but we have a scenario to provide unified result set which cannot be achieved using inbound/outbound hybrid search as we get results in two separate blocks( Cloud, on-premise). So, we are going with Cloud Hybrid approach but we doubt if we can use cloud SSA(SP 2013 - on-premise) to parse OnBase documents into O365 index? Can anyone tell me if this approach would work or is developing custom connector the only option?

Monday, October 31, 2016 11:48 AM

Answers

• I don't see any reason why this shouldn't work.  The cloud SSA is basically a normal on-premises search service that redirects crawl results and queries to Office 365.  But all the configuration of Content Sources and the actual Crawler are the same as what is in a normal on-premises search service.  So if you can crawl it using a regular on-premises search service then you can crawl and index it using the SSA.

I haven't done this with OnBase, but I have implemented something similar for a client who has a legacy web based on-premises Knowledge base.  In this case we didn't use the cloud SSA.  Instead we setup a SharePoint Search farm to index the on-premises material and configured a hybrid Inbound search from Office 365.  We did it that way because they wanted the knowledgebase results in a seperate block.  But we could have done integrated results using the cloud SSA.

Paul Stork SharePoint Server MVP
    Principal Architect: Blue Chip Consulting Group
    Blog: http://dontpapanic.com/blog
    Twitter: Follow @pstork
    Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves your problem.

• Marked as answer by Noorizu Monday, October 31, 2016 1:43 PM
    Monday, October 31, 2016 12:21 PM

All replies

• I don't see any reason why this shouldn't work.  The cloud SSA is basically a normal on-premises search service that redirects crawl results and queries to Office 365.  But all the configuration of Content Sources and the actual Crawler are the same as what is in a normal on-premises search service.  So if you can crawl it using a regular on-premises search service then you can crawl and index it using the SSA.

I haven't done this with OnBase, but I have implemented something similar for a client who has a legacy web based on-premises Knowledge base.  In this case we didn't use the cloud SSA.  Instead we setup a SharePoint Search farm to index the on-premises material and configured a hybrid Inbound search from Office 365.  We did it that way because they wanted the knowledgebase results in a seperate block.  But we could have done integrated results using the cloud SSA.

Paul Stork SharePoint Server MVP
    Principal Architect: Blue Chip Consulting Group
    Blog: http://dontpapanic.com/blog
    Twitter: Follow @pstork
    Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves your problem.

• Marked as answer by Noorizu Monday, October 31, 2016 1:43 PM
    Monday, October 31, 2016 12:21 PM
  • Thanks a lot for your quick response and sharing your thoughts on it. I wanted to double check on this solution approach. I have marked your response as the answer. I will be happy to hear from others as well just to know if anyone had successfully implemented it. :)
    Monday, October 31, 2016 1:47 PM