none
What is stored online?

Question

• Hello! I was hoping somebody could elaborate a bit for me what exactly is stored online with the Cloud SSA? Or maybe somebody can point me to a resource. I'm about to begin a project with a customer, and they have compliance concerns (specifically in regards to FERPA). Obviously the managed properties are stored in the index to some capacity. Is anything other than this content stored up there? What about contents of the documents (parsed or otherwise)? I know that the communications are encrypted, but is the content as well? I'm guessing not, but I figure it's worth asking. 

Thanks again!!

Brian Laws (Cloud Architect, Summit 7 Systems)

• Changed type Brian H Laws Tuesday, March 8, 2016 10:40 PM Because it actually is a question
    Tuesday, February 9, 2016 12:50 AM

Answers

• Hi Brian

The content that is passed from onpremises to the azure cloud search connector (SCS) consists of crawled properties, keywords, acls, tenant info and some other metadata about the item. This is encrypted on premises using a key supplied by the SCS and transmitted to the endpoint in Azure. Once there it is stored in an encrypted blob store and queued for processing. We retain the encrypted package in the blob store for use should we need to issue a content recrawl. The encrypted object is not the document though, it is just a parsed and filtered version that makes sense to the search engine.

Neil Hodgkinson : MSFT - SharePoint and O365 CAT Team

• Marked as answer by Brian H Laws Tuesday, March 8, 2016 10:40 PM
    Thursday, February 11, 2016 11:20 AM

All replies

• Hi Brian

The content that is passed from onpremises to the azure cloud search connector (SCS) consists of crawled properties, keywords, acls, tenant info and some other metadata about the item. This is encrypted on premises using a key supplied by the SCS and transmitted to the endpoint in Azure. Once there it is stored in an encrypted blob store and queued for processing. We retain the encrypted package in the blob store for use should we need to issue a content recrawl. The encrypted object is not the document though, it is just a parsed and filtered version that makes sense to the search engine.

Neil Hodgkinson : MSFT - SharePoint and O365 CAT Team

• Marked as answer by Brian H Laws Tuesday, March 8, 2016 10:40 PM
    Thursday, February 11, 2016 11:20 AM
  • Thanks, Neil. This is very helpful. So the encrypted object is what's passed around and stored in an encrypted blob store. Cool. What about the index itself. That is not encrypted, correct?

Brian Laws (Cloud Architect, Summit 7 Systems)

Wednesday, February 17, 2016 11:04 PM