none
Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Ent upgrade through Windows 10 subscription activation RRS feed

• Question

• My company has about 10 windows 7 pro laptop that has to be upgrade to windows 10 by the end of the year. I have been reading articles about trying to use a Windows E5/E6 user license to upgrade a computer from one OS to another. The problem I seem to be running into is that, the articles that I have been reading are saying that if the computer is windows 7 Pro then it can be upgraded to windows 10 ent with some work being configured. They are not stating however, the process in which to do it completely so I can start that process.

My company has already assigned the licenses to users to be able to complete the process but there's no instructions provided. Some of the computers that required upgrading are in different states but connect to the corporate office via VPN. With that being said, do those remote locations have to return the laptop to be upgraded or could it be done over the internet by just having the user login credentials into the computer to upgrade to windows 10 ent from windows 7 pro?

Are there instructions on the web on how to achieve this goal of upgrading? Can this be done through AD on the network to push upgrades to the specific computers to be upgraded to windows 10 ent?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Thursday, September 5, 2019 12:39 PM

All replies

• The computers in different states is still connected to the domain.

The upgrade process can be accomplished by leveraging tools like System Center Configuration Manager or the Microsoft Deployment Toolkit to completely automate the upgrade process through simple task sequences.

Learn more with this resource.

Obinna C. Onwusobalu ~ MCSA MCTS MCITP

It's all fun and games until someone divides by zero.

windowshelper.home.blog

Thursday, September 5, 2019 1:36 PM
  • Thanks for the information Obinna,

The only concern I have would be, how would either of those options work with E5/E6 license individual to users?

Originally when I did it before I had to login in with the user credential on the computer to allow the upgrade to take place on the computer. Which is time-consuming because a lot of the users are not tech savvy.

How would I upgrade to Windows 10 using the E5/E6 license on a large skill deployment so those computers that are remote computers get upgraded? Is that something that can be done or would I have to stick with the individual users to login with their credentials to be able to upgrade their computers to Windows 10 Ent?

Thursday, September 5, 2019 4:21 PM

• How would I upgrade to Windows 10 using the E5/E6 license on a large skill deployment so those computers that are remote computers get upgraded? Is that something that can be done or would I have to stick with the individual users to login with their credentials to be able to upgrade their computers to Windows 10 Ent?

As far as I know, you'll need to be physically present at the target Windows 7 PCs to start the Windows 10 Upgrade task sequence.

But according to this resource, if I understand it correctly, it's possible that during the SCCM task sequence configuration, on the Deployment Settings tab, you can specify the Purpose of the deployment for either of two options;

1. Available will prompt the user to install at the desired time - with this option selected in the deployment schedule, the task sequence to launch on the device(s) will require user interaction.
    2. Required will force the deployment at the deadline specified - with this option selected in the deployment schedule, the task sequence will launch automatically without user interaction at a specific time on the device(s).

Obinna C. Onwusobalu ~ MCSA MCTS MCITP

It's all fun and games until someone divides by zero.

windowshelper.home.blog

Thursday, September 5, 2019 9:26 PM
  • Best bet,retire the old pcs with Windows 7,Win 10 pc & its advanced hardware will/would be best in long run..Most Win 7 OS installed by default thru mfg,are in need of retire..From Microsoft/TechNet Help,the license could be transferred to other pc,the problem(s) are in processor,which can only be upgraded at Win 10 minimal specs...
    Thursday, September 5, 2019 9:45 PM
  • Hi,

If you manage dozens or thousands of computers, then your best option is to perform in-place upgrades using task sequence automation with System Center Configuration Manager or the Microsoft Deployment Toolkit.

More information please refer to the following article:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/enterprise/windows-7-to-windows-10-upgrade-automated

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/upgrade/upgrade-to-windows-10-with-system-center-configuraton-manager

Hope above information can help you.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, September 6, 2019 2:59 AM
  • Hi,

Was your issue solved?

If the reply helped you, please remember to mark it as an answer.

If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 11, 2019 6:36 AM