Option to delete domain user profile greyed out RRS feed

• Question

• Logged in as admin to a machine and I can see under System Properties\User Profiles around 10 profiles stored on the machine, both local and domain accounts (those were basically logged on to the machine before, which got their profile cached), but I'm unable to delete any of the domain accounts (delete button greyed out). I am however able to delete the local accounts. Any idea why that might be the case? Those accounts are not in use on the machine, and as far as I can see, there's no GPO setting disabling the option of deleting domain account profiles that are stored on the machine. With the same set of GPOs applied to other machines, I am able to delete profiles just fine.
    Monday, July 20, 2015 8:16 PM

Answers

• I don't know how to explain it but I am sure if you reboot in safe mode you will be able to remove domain profiles. Also I believe you will be able to do that if you logon as domain user (with admin rights on that workstation). Please give me your feedback.

It may help as well. Information from 2003 https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc775638%28v=ws.10%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

To perform this procedure, you must be a member of the Administrators group on the local computer, or you must have been delegated the appropriate authority.If the computer is joined to a domain, members of the Domain Admins group might be able to perform this procedure. As a security best practice, consider using Run as to perform this procedure.

Looks like it is by design.

Monday, July 20, 2015 8:56 PM

All replies

• Hi Fedenko,

don't work to me

Fernando Segura

Friday, January 20, 2017 11:49 PM
  • Make sure that user does not have any active/disconnected session. You can check that in Task Manager > Users. Log off that user, you'll see the delete button.

Cheers,
    My Blog

Wednesday, January 30, 2019 6:06 AM
  • This marked answer can not be the way to do it. What if it is a 24/7 production server? you cant just reboot into safe mode. there must be another solution to this

Friday, June 19, 2020 10:14 AM