Windows update stuck at "updating your system 8%" RRS feed

• 質問

• Hi All

Installed a heap of updates in one go but after a restart the server reported that windows failed to update reverting the changes.  It then rebooted and now it is stuck at this screen that says updating your system but won't get past 8%.

This is a production server running exchange so I really really need to find a way to skip the updates at boot up....

Can someone please help??

2015年3月3日 16:32

回答

すべての返信

• Maybe it is caused by November 2014 update rollup -- see known issues at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3000850/

I experienced this on a Generation 2 virtual machine with Windows Server 2012 R2 running on a Windows Server 2012 R2-based Hyper-V host.

You can have a look at http://www.experts-exchange.com/OS/Microsoft_Operating_Systems/Server/Windows_Server_2012/Q_28600599.html for a way to skip the updates at boot.

-- rpr.

2015年3月4日 22:46
  • The symptoms are exactly what we're seeing on a Server 2012 R2 VM inside a Server 2012 R2 VM after applying windows updates.  I would love to see your solution but Experts Exchange hides the answer and we don't have an EE subscription.  Can you post more information about what you found that fixes it?

--Andrew

2015年4月13日 16:58
  • Andrew,

I'm afraid I can't post that info as I just read it without trying the steps (at the time of that writing the EE article was accessible without a Premium account). As far I can remember the steps were similar to those described in Interrupted VM stuck thread.

(BTW, as I was installing a fresh VM I solved my issue by creating a new Generation 1 VM and repeating the Windows Server installation.)

-- rpr.

2015年4月15日 13:50
  • Is there a solution for this problem, or should we just not install the november update?

The answer at Experts Exchange is not publicly viewable.

• 編集済み Benno1234 2016年1月21日 11:24
    2016年1月21日 11:23
  • There is a resolution here:

Interrupted VM stuck

I just went through the steps outlined in the link above to restore one of my two Hyper-V VMs running Windows Server 2012 R2 to operation. I then installed all of the "Important" updates except KB3000850 and...it worked :-)

One of the comments in the Experts Exchange link (which you cannot always see unless you are an Experts Exhange subscriber) recommends shutting down your VM, disabling Secure Boot in the VM settings, and then installing the KB3000850 update. YMMV.

2016年7月27日 23:01
  • Follow-up:

After installing the other 197 or so updates and successfully rebooting, I took a chance and installed KB3000850. The update did not require a restart, but I rebooted anyway...and...IT WORKED!

I have both of my VMs back now, and I did not disable Secure Boot in either VM.

2016年7月27日 23:56
  • That reference leads to a PAID service, is that the intention?

2019年12月9日 20:24