none
Unable to map network drive while DNS registered the server's 2nd NIC

質問

• This afternoon, the users suddenly unable to map the department drive no matter using the IP address, i.e. \\192.168.0.10\department, or using the server name, i.e. \\server1\department.  Also, unable to print (printer server is same as the department driver server).

The file server is Windows Server 2008 R1, running on Hyper-V, equipped with 2 NICs, the second NIC IP address is, i.e. 192.168.0.20.  

When ping the server host name, i.e. ping server1, it resolved as 192.168.0.20; at the same time, we are still able to ping the primary NIC card's IP address, 192.168.0.10.

The problem was resolved by disabling the DNS registration of the secondary NIC on the department server.  Once it is disabled, the users were able to map the department drive by using IP, i.e. \\192.168.0.10\department.

However, until now, the ping result of the host name is still resolved the secondary NIC card's IP address.

May I know who can explain the reason?  I really have no idea, why can't map drive and print by the primary NIC card's IP address without disable the DNS registration on the secondary NIC.

2018年6月4日 16:02

すべての返信

• Opening my computer/manage network drives,doesnt work...Also,open control panel/networking/change adapter settings/L.click on the adapter/properties/try the "Configure" button.In Adapter properties,edit for options with list.Also,Win firewall might need attention/exceptions..As far as printers go,if enabled in Windows components/add-remove,download a Microsoft printer utility called "Print Migrator"  install to host pc,create a shortcut,send shortcut to other pcs...The migrator shows all printer data,if sent to another pc,& the above is ok,you should see printer options...  
    2018年6月5日 3:50
  • Refer to the similar case below for more information.

Which local IP is used for name resolution on a dual-homed server

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/c9c7d467-17db-4d58-a8f3-c1df4a8a9e3b/which-local-ip-is-used-for-name-resolution-on-a-dualhomed-server?forum=winserver8gen

Of course, you current behavior is very good, disable DNS Registration on NIC is a common method.

General specking, if you installed the DNS role (seems so on a DC ), you need to also limit the DNS to the Customer LAN otherwise DNS will publish all interfaces into the DNS.

A DNS server will automatically register all addresses it's listening on, independent of the settings in the DNS tab in TCP/IP properties. So if you don't need to have your DNS server listening on the second NIC, then simply unbind the DNS service from this NIC, and it will stop registering itself.

If you require DNS on that NIC as well, it gets more complicated:

How to enable or disable DNS updates in Windows 2000 and in Windows Server 2003

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=246804

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

2018年6月5日 7:36
    モデレータ