none
Windows 7 can find wireless networks but can't connect

質問

• Hi,

I have an interesting issue that I'm wondering if anyone can set me straight on. To preface, I am computer literate. I am not asking for basic step by step instructions here.

I recently installed the Alfa AWUS036H 802.11b/g USB wireless adapter. Initially, I used the drivers contained on the included CD for my OS (Windows 7 x64 Ultimate). The drivers installed correctly according to the feedback I was given. From there, I was immediately able to see the available networks through the Windows wireless function as no third party utility was installed. However, I could not connect to any of the wireless networks that I have the credentials for (2 different networks). One is an open network, and one is WEP. It could not connect to either, I verified my credentials were correct as well.

At this point, I tried the adapter on another computer running WinXP (32 bit), the corresponding winxp drivers were used and I was able to see AND connect to these two networks. Therefore, I verified that the adapter is not defective.

After this, I went online and downloaded the most recent drivers. Uninstalled the previously installed drivers and installed the new package two separate ways. Way 1: Installed only the drivers and tried with Windows managing the connection. Didn't work. Way 2: Uninstalled drivers and reinstalled complete package which included Realtek wireless utility. Again, able to see the networks but not able to connect to any.

At this point, I looked around the web for answers and saw that people had found disabling IPv6 could resole the issue but it did not in my case.  (Ref: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itpronetworking/thread/548453d0-34d1-485f-b123-852df8addcd4 )

I am at a loss at this point as to what may be the problem. I have never installed a wireless adapter to this computer before but do not have another usb adapter to try on it to verify it's not a function of the system/OS itself.

Could anyone help me troubleshoot?

Thanks.
    2010年6月30日 4:46

回答

•  

Hi,

To troubleshoot the issue, please perform the following steps.

1. Temporarily disable Windows Firewall and antivirus program on the Windows 7 machine to check the result.

2. Temporarily disable the Local Area Connection.

3. Move the Windows 7 machine to another Wireless network and connect to the network via the Alfa adapter.

4. Reset WinSock

a. Click Start, click "All programs", and click "Accessories". 

b. Right-click "Command Prompt", and click "Run as administrator". If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

c. Please enter the following command, and press Enter.

Netsh winsock reset

d. A message stating "Successfully reset the Winsock Catalog" will appear. Please restart the computer.

If the issue persists, please collect System Information and upload it to Skydrive (www.skydrive.live.com), and then share the link to me for research.

Thanks,

Novak

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • 回答としてマーク Novak Wu 2010年7月5日 1:41
    2010年7月1日 2:46

すべての返信

• The IPv6 solution is often coupled with this one, which is worth trying:

Go to Device Manager > Expand Network Adapters > double-click the wireless adapter > Power Management Tab and make sure the check box is cleared against ‘Allow the computer to turn off this device……’.

2010年6月30日 7:37
  • Hi,

I would suggest that you configure the wireless router security to use WPA or WPA2.

If you must use WEP, verify which type the router is configured to use. Many will use the open type.

Did you try Start\Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center\Setup a new connection?

Wireless, Home,WEP, open, password\key

2010年6月30日 12:26
  •  

Hi,

To troubleshoot the issue, please perform the following steps.

1. Temporarily disable Windows Firewall and antivirus program on the Windows 7 machine to check the result.

2. Temporarily disable the Local Area Connection.

3. Move the Windows 7 machine to another Wireless network and connect to the network via the Alfa adapter.

4. Reset WinSock

a. Click Start, click "All programs", and click "Accessories". 

b. Right-click "Command Prompt", and click "Run as administrator". If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

c. Please enter the following command, and press Enter.

Netsh winsock reset

d. A message stating "Successfully reset the Winsock Catalog" will appear. Please restart the computer.

If the issue persists, please collect System Information and upload it to Skydrive (www.skydrive.live.com), and then share the link to me for research.

Thanks,

Novak

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • 回答としてマーク Novak Wu 2010年7月5日 1:41
    2010年7月1日 2:46
  • I am grateful for your help. It has worked for me

Thanks

2018年7月9日 23:42