none
VM Templates with new blank VHDs

質問

• I want to create a VM Template for a VM which has 8 disks (it's a SQL Server) and boots it's install from a CD.  We have existing install images that auto configure the SQL server and we want to re-use these to build the VM.  The idea is that a cloud user who wants a new instance of this SQL server selects to create one of these VMs and it comes pre-configured with all the required disks.

My plan was to create a VM template with the required new blank VHDs and the ISO image attached.  However, this doesn't work.

It looks to me like VMM Templates have the following restrictions:

• The Template must use a VHD from the library.
    • A single VHD in the library can't be attached more than once in a single VM Template.
    • If you want more than one instance of the same VHD (e.g. the stock "Blank Disk - Small"), you'd have to copy it in the library the number of times you need.

Surely this isn't the case?  Is there another way that I can do this with a VM Template?

2018年5月24日 4:28

回答

• Hi there!

I see what you are trying to do, I've been there myself.

If you want to add a let's say a data disk, when creating a VM template in SCVMM, you have to pre-create the data disk and load it into the library. If you want the disk to be Fixed, you have to take the time to pre-create a Fixed VHDX and import it.

If you want to add multiple data disks you must have unique entries in the library, they cannot be reused inside the same VM Template unfortunately.

Hope this information is useful.

Kind regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com  LinkedIn:   

• 回答としてマーク Tony D Gedge 2018年5月24日 11:32
    2018年5月24日 6:45

すべての返信

• Hi there!

I see what you are trying to do, I've been there myself.

If you want to add a let's say a data disk, when creating a VM template in SCVMM, you have to pre-create the data disk and load it into the library. If you want the disk to be Fixed, you have to take the time to pre-create a Fixed VHDX and import it.

If you want to add multiple data disks you must have unique entries in the library, they cannot be reused inside the same VM Template unfortunately.

Hope this information is useful.

Kind regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com  LinkedIn:   

• 回答としてマーク Tony D Gedge 2018年5月24日 11:32
    2018年5月24日 6:45
  • Thanks Leon. That's what I've been doing - it's not so bad, but it would be nice not to clutter the library with blank disks!

2018年5月24日 11:34