Service Request - Self Service Portal - AD New User RRS feed

• 質問

• Hello together,

I'm quiet new to SCSM and maybe that's a simple question. It would really help me to understand the general mechanics if anybody could help me with that.

I have a SCSM Server and a Orchestrator. I built a Service Request where a User can enter Firstname, Lastname, Phonenumber. The Service Request starts a Runbook where the User gets created in AD. Simple and easy, no problem.

Now the problem: 

I want that the user can enter a emailadress and then want to add a mailbox in exchange for that user with that emailadress. The process itself is also easy. The problem is: I want to check if the emailadress already exists in exchange. If no, it should be created, if yes, I want a "next step" in the Service Request where the user has to enter another emailadress. The perfect solution would be if the email could be checked (maybe against a database e.g) when the user leaves the email-field in the service request form. 

Is something like that generally possible? Or is there some other best practices?

Best regards

Chris

2020年7月8日 13:19

すべての返信

• Hi,

the Self-Service portal for Service Manager from Microsoft can validate the user input with a regular expression, length etc.. It can be configured in the prompt configuration.

But the prompt cannot check external systems, e.g. proof if an email address exists or not.

There are third party portals for Service Manager which enable the validation of prompts in that way.

Regards,

Stefan

More and news about System Center at stillcool.de and sc-orchestartor.eu .

2020年7月8日 17:47
  • Hey Stefan,

thank you for your reply.

Is there any possibility to extend the service request process? As far as I understand, it's always 

User submits request

Maybe some sort of review

Actions taken by technican / orchestrator

Closed

Is there a way to ask the user something again in that process? For example:

User submits service request for new Hardware

Help Desk Approves

User now can choose from a list which hardware he wants

closed

I'm not looking for a solution to this particular service request, it's just an example. 

Thank you and best regards,

Chris

2020年7月8日 18:01
  • Hey,

yes, that's possible.

Beside Runbook Auotmation Activities you can have Review Activities and Manual Activtities in the Service Request. With the Exchange connector you do not need (but can use) the Portal for the decisions. The user can deside replying to an email.

Regards,

Stefan

More and news about System Center at stillcool.de and sc-orchestartor.eu .

2020年7月8日 18:25
  • There is maybe another option for this:

• User enters a "prefered" email address
    • Orchestrator Runbook will verify if the email address is available
    • If yes -> go further
    • If no -> Build a new email address by a ruleset (e.g. by using another combination of first and lastname of the user) -> go further

This way we are creating a usernames and email addresses dynamically at different customers.

Maybe this helps.

Andreas Baumgarten

2020年7月9日 5:52
  • Hey Andreas,

I also thought about something like that. The problem is that I think that in most cases the employee won't be happy with the "choice" and has to open another ticket to manually change the address by a help desk member.

The mailaddress-case is just an example. I'm basically looking for a way to extand the service request process by having a second input possibility after the first one where the user submits his request.

@Stefan

You wrote that the user can deside replying to an email. So is it possible to automatically process the answer email of the employe in a manual activity? That would be kind of a dialogue which would solve my problem?

Thank you for your help!!!

Regards

Chris

2020年7月9日 6:43
  • With the 3rd Party Self-Service Portal solution from Operaio/itnetX you have some more options around that:

• Verify if the email-address is not in use (by a PowerShell script)

or/and

• Add another Form Filling activity in the Request Offering for additional Input

Hope this helps.

Andreas Baumgarten

2020年7月9日 7:28
  • Hey Chris,

There are a number of ways this could be addressed. The choice will come down to time vs value for each.

1. Orchestrator runbook activity that verifies the address and continues if available, or adds a manual activity after the runbook activity for an analyst to dialogue with the requester and manually create. This isn't too time intensive, but does rely on manual steps by an analyst. The appeal here will depend on volume of requests that hit this snag.
    2. If the email addresses are pulled into your SCSM CMDB, you could allow users to search and validate against existing email addresses (this assumes an internal offering w/ no security concerns to exposing those email addresses). You could also pair this with a display-only message that indicates the requester must validate the address is available. This is the lowest effort approach, but has some concerns as the end user must validate (could still fail) and has access to the email data.
    3. If using a tool like the Cireson Portal, you could add this validation into the request offering via JavaScript. This could be done against data in your CMDB (preferred), or calling out to an external source where the addresses are stored. The actual data could be kept out of the user's hands via this approach, and is my all-around favorite approach because of its proactive nature.
    4. Again, with a tool like the Cireson Portal, you have the ability to add custom activity types. A custom activity for a user to input a new address could certainly be added. This is my second favorite approach, just a notch below the above because of the reactive nature. 

Thanks,

Nick

2020年7月22日 14:34