FIM 2010 Licensing RRS feed

• 質問

• I'm a little confused about the licensing for this product. Based on the requirements I will need:

• Windows Server 2k8
    • SQL Server 2k8
    • FIM Server
    • FIM CALs
    Is there anything else?

2010年4月12日 19:38

回答

• FIM supports installation into a WSS Farm, not a MOSS Farm, and in either case it implies a SQL backend. That SQL backend must be licensed like any other SQL server and there are no special FIM CAL's for this configuration. The general rules of thumb are:

• If there is a FIM component installed, you need a FIM Server license, this includes FIM Sync, and every instance of the FIM Service you deploy. If you have a WSS portal with the FIM Password or Identiy portal deployed with no FIM Service, you still need a server license.
    • You do not need FIM Server CAL's for a SQL server with a FIM database on it, only the actual services or portal components on it
    • You need FIM User CAL's for each person you are managing through the FIM Portal, regardless of whether or not they are connecting to it
    • If you are using the FIM External Connector license, you need one for every instance of the FIM Service, if I'm not mistaken, so two front-end FIM portal servers would require two external connector licenses (this needs confirmation)

Out of curiosity, did the FIM portal installation onto a MOSS farm actually work?  I never got around to trying it, but it should be functionally the same, simply not tested or supported yet.

Brad Turner, ILM MVP - Ensynch, Inc - www.identitychaos.com
    2010年4月13日 16:01
  • Yes if you want to manage them with FIM Service and or the Certificate Management Service and not only the Sync Engine. If a big deal of the users are external to you company you might be able to cut costs by using the FIM external Connector.

Henrik Nilsson Blog: http://www.idmcrisis.com Company: Cortego (http://www.cortego.se)
    2010年4月13日 17:32

すべての返信

• There is also a FIM External Connector, if you want to use FIM for partners/external entities, and don't want to buy CALs for them.

The FIM CAL is required for any use of the Portal or Certificate Management. If you used only the Sync Service, you would not need the FIM CALs, but this excludes a large amount of the functionality.

2010年4月12日 20:41
  • What about sharepoint server?

Do you need cal's for SQL? for Sharepoint?

Scott

Sscribner
    2010年4月12日 20:51
  • Its Windows SharePoint Services (WSS) not full-blown MOSS - so part of OS.

AFAIK FIM doesn't support installation on a full sharepoint farm, although I believe some people have tried it.

Never looked into SQL CALs as we have them for other purposes.

2010年4月12日 21:14
  • Capriole

Thanks- I did my install into out test domain with MOSS - good to know that its not required - I think I need to go back and re-install it without the MOSS and see how that goes- I am calling MS today to confirm if a client owuld need cal's for server, sql ect.

Scott

Sscribner
    2010年4月13日 14:16
  • FIM supports installation into a WSS Farm, not a MOSS Farm, and in either case it implies a SQL backend. That SQL backend must be licensed like any other SQL server and there are no special FIM CAL's for this configuration. The general rules of thumb are:

• If there is a FIM component installed, you need a FIM Server license, this includes FIM Sync, and every instance of the FIM Service you deploy. If you have a WSS portal with the FIM Password or Identiy portal deployed with no FIM Service, you still need a server license.
    • You do not need FIM Server CAL's for a SQL server with a FIM database on it, only the actual services or portal components on it
    • You need FIM User CAL's for each person you are managing through the FIM Portal, regardless of whether or not they are connecting to it
    • If you are using the FIM External Connector license, you need one for every instance of the FIM Service, if I'm not mistaken, so two front-end FIM portal servers would require two external connector licenses (this needs confirmation)

Out of curiosity, did the FIM portal installation onto a MOSS farm actually work?  I never got around to trying it, but it should be functionally the same, simply not tested or supported yet.

Brad Turner, ILM MVP - Ensynch, Inc - www.identitychaos.com
    2010年4月13日 16:01
  • Just to clarify on FIM User CAL's for each person, if I have 2000+ accounts that I want to manage I need to purchase 2000+ User CAL's?

2010年4月13日 17:08
  • Yes if you want to manage them with FIM Service and or the Certificate Management Service and not only the Sync Engine. If a big deal of the users are external to you company you might be able to cut costs by using the FIM external Connector.

Henrik Nilsson Blog: http://www.idmcrisis.com Company: Cortego (http://www.cortego.se)
    2010年4月13日 17:32
  • Yes- I did get it to work into a MOSS- Now I know why it was such a pain- I have started a new install to see if I can get the deployment down to a resonable amout of time-

So to be clear-

A single FIM server would require 1 FIM server license, A SQL back end (standard ) and the SQL server would not need any user cal's as the only thing connecting to the SQL server is FIM, you can use WSS ( OS version ) so no sharepoint server license- and a CAL for each user on the domain you plan to manage - This server would be able to handle howe mahny fim clients ? say up to 500? I will go back and read up on the scalablity - We are testing for our market which is 50-1000 users in a doamin with external users up to 10K ( Academic) We have been using Sun's server but Oracle bought Sun and has dropped the product - :(

Scott

Sscribner
    2010年4月13日 20:16