no longer see "Internet Explorer Maintenance" in Group Policy Management Console RRS feed

• 질문

• I am trying to configure Internet Explorer favorites on a GPO that I have already constructed.  I had already successfully created the GPO many months ago and wanted to go back and check on some things.

However in the GPMC when I navigate to User Configuration-->Policies-->Windows Settings, I no longer see "Internet Explorer Maintenance" listed.  This is where I had previously configured Internet Explorer favorites.

I uninstalled and reinstalled GPM using these instructions http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/how-to-install-the-group-policy-management-in-windows-7/ but this did not help.

Previously I had two Windows XP computers in the OU that this GPO was applied to.  I had no problems at all configuring it and getting the rules and favorites to apply to these two computers.  I just recently upgraded one of the computers to Windows 7 and used the same machine name for the computer.  The computer gets some of the rules applied to it but not all.  In particular the IE favorites are not being applied which led me to check the policy in the GPMC.  However, as stated before I cannot even see "Internet Explorer Maintenance" which has me confused on what to do next.  Please help.

2013년 3월 27일 수요일 오후 3:44

답변

• Am 29.03.2013 14:15, schrieb FuFighter:
    > <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    > <Shortcut clsid="{4F2F7C55-2790-433e-8127-0739D1CFA327}"
    > userContext="1" name="Google" status="Google" image="0"
    > changed="2013-03-29 13:00:44"
    > uid="{648046B5-4019-4F32-8F0E-E691EA54E125}"><Properties pidl=""
    > targetType="URL" action="C" comment="" shortcutKey="0" startIn=""
    > arguments="" iconIndex="0" targetPath="http://www.google.com"
    > iconPath="" window=""
    > shortcutPath="%CommonFavoritesDir%\Google"/></Shortcut>

I'm too tired at the moment to check all you already did, so just let me
    ask some further questions on that item:

This is a user or a computer item? If it is a user item and "run in
    logged on users context" is checked, I believe it will fail, because a
    non administrator cannot add all users favorites.

I'm unaware whether all users favorites works at all - never used it...

For further clarification, I'd enable GPP debug logging:

NO THEY ARE NOT EVIL, if you know what you are doing: Good or bad GPOs?
    Wenn meine Antwort hilfreich war, freue ich mich über eine Bewertung! If my answer was helpful, I'm glad about a rating!
    • 답변으로 표시됨 FuFighter 2013년 4월 2일 화요일 오후 3:12
    2013년 3월 29일 금요일 오후 11:41

모든 응답

• Hello,

This has nothing to do with ADMs.

However, as stated before I cannot even see "Internet Explorer Maintenance" which has me confused on what to do next.  Please help.

Which OS has the client where the GPMC is installed?
    If it is Windows 8 or Server 2012 it is a normal behaviour, because IEM is gone!

If not, please close GPMC and run these commands:

regsvr32 /u %systemroot%\system32\ieaksie.dll
    regsvr32 %systemroot%\system32\ieaksie.dll

By the way, I would recommend stop using IEM at all.
    IEM is outdated and not supported anymore (from Win 8 on).

MVP Group Policy - Mythen, Insiderinfos und Troubleshooting zum Thema GPOs: Let's go, use GPO!

• 편집됨 Matthias Wolf 2013년 3월 27일 수요일 오후 4:53
    2013년 3월 27일 수요일 오후 4:52
  • J Razek and Matthias, thanks for the replies.

Matthias, I tried to run those commands but received the error message "The module "C:\Windows\system32\ieaksie.dll" failed to load...The specified module could not be found"

The GPMC is installed on a Windows 7 enterprise 32 bit computer.

Also, how would one configure GPO Internet Explorer favorites if not through "Internet Explorer Maintenance"?

2013년 3월 27일 수요일 오후 6:49
  • Hello,

Which version of IE do you have installed on that machine?
    IE 10 won't work for example.

Also, how would one configure GPO Internet Explorer favorites if not through "Internet Explorer Maintenance"?

Here is the official replacement list:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj890998.aspx

Also please have a look at:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverGP/thread/373bb5a5-c442-47fe-8c20-f1c35eaff646

MVP Group Policy - Mythen, Insiderinfos und Troubleshooting zum Thema GPOs: Let's go, use GPO!

2013년 3월 28일 목요일 오전 7:28
  • I have IE 10 on the Windows 7 computer that is in the OU having the GPO applied to it.

I recently upgraded to IE10 on the computer that I perform the GPMC on so is that why I now longer see Internet Explorer Maintenance?

I have attempted to configure IE favorites using both:

Computer Config-->Preferences-->Windows Settings-->Shortcuts

and

User Config-->Preferences-->Windows Settings-->Shortcuts

However I have been unable to get the links to show up in favorites on the target computer (Windows 7 with IE10).

I have tried the following configuration in the group policy

1)New-->Shortcut
    2)Action Create
    3)Name: Name of my Link
    4)Target type: URL
    5)Location: I have tried All Users Explorer Favorites and also just Explorer Favorites

This did not produce any results in the favorites list.

I was able to place a shortcut on the desktop using Computer Config-->Preferences-->Windows Settings-->Shortcuts and then the same setup as above but using "All Users Desktop" for the location.  That confused me why a shortcut was placed on the desktop but not on the favorites list.

2013년 3월 28일 목요일 오후 8:43
  • Am 27.03.2013 16:44, schrieb FuFighter:
    > However in the GPMC when I navigate to User
    > Configuration-->Policies-->Windows Settings, I no longer see "Internet
    > Explorer Maintenance" listed.  This is where I had previously
    > configured Internet Explorer favorites.

If you installed IE10, this is the expected behaviour. IE Maintenance is
    partially integrated with IE, and if IE10 is installed, IE Maintenance
    isn't supported anymore.

Wenn meine Antwort hilfreich war, freue ich mich über eine Bewertung! If my answer was helpful, I'm glad about a rating!
    2013년 3월 28일 목요일 오후 11:23
  • Am 28.03.2013 21:43, schrieb FuFighter:
    > This did not produce any results in the favorites list.

On the "Common" tab, make sure that "run in logged on users security
    context" is checked. In addition, feel free to post the XML of the
    favorite (right click "all tasks" - "display xml").

regards, Martin

2013년 3월 28일 목요일 오후 11:26
  • Martin,

When I configure the Explorer favorite via User Config-->Preferences-->Windows Settings-->Shortcuts then the "Run in logged-on user's security contect (user policy option)" on the Common tab is checked by default.

If I configure the Explorer favorite via the Computer Config-->Preferences-->Windows Settings-->Shortcuts then the "Run in logged-on user's security contect (user policy option)" on the Common tab is greyed out (this makes sense).

However I still am not getting any of the favorites to show up in Internet Explorer.  Here is the XML for one of the favorites

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <Shortcut clsid="{4F2F7C55-2790-433e-8127-0739D1CFA327}" userContext="1" name="Google" status="Google" image="0" changed="2013-03-29 13:00:44" uid="{648046B5-4019-4F32-8F0E-E691EA54E125}"><Properties pidl="" targetType="URL" action="C" comment="" shortcutKey="0" startIn="" arguments="" iconIndex="0" targetPath="http://www.google.com" iconPath="" window="" shortcutPath="%CommonFavoritesDir%\Google"/></Shortcut>

2013년 3월 29일 금요일 오후 1:15
  • Am 29.03.2013 14:15, schrieb FuFighter:
    > <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    > <Shortcut clsid="{4F2F7C55-2790-433e-8127-0739D1CFA327}"
    > userContext="1" name="Google" status="Google" image="0"
    > changed="2013-03-29 13:00:44"
    > uid="{648046B5-4019-4F32-8F0E-E691EA54E125}"><Properties pidl=""
    > targetType="URL" action="C" comment="" shortcutKey="0" startIn=""
    > arguments="" iconIndex="0" targetPath="http://www.google.com"
    > iconPath="" window=""
    > shortcutPath="%CommonFavoritesDir%\Google"/></Shortcut>

I'm too tired at the moment to check all you already did, so just let me
    ask some further questions on that item:

This is a user or a computer item? If it is a user item and "run in
    logged on users context" is checked, I believe it will fail, because a
    non administrator cannot add all users favorites.

I'm unaware whether all users favorites works at all - never used it...

For further clarification, I'd enable GPP debug logging:

• 답변으로 표시됨 FuFighter 2013년 4월 2일 화요일 오후 3:12
    2013년 3월 29일 금요일 오후 11:41
  • Martin,

I am just trying any way to set Internet Explorer favorites using Shortcuts.  I have tried both as a computer item and as a user item.

I suppose it is better as a computer item but I am trying to get it to work anyway.

The behavior I want to acheive is place about 6 IE favorites in the Favorites list of anyone that logs into the computer.  I am suprised that it is this difficult to do.  Either that or I am missing something.

It was really easy using the old Internet Explorer Maintenance

2013년 4월 2일 화요일 오후 3:17
  • I am just trying any way to set Internet Explorer favorites using Shortcuts.

Please try to use GPP Files instead.
    (target = %FavoritesDir%\Links..)
    You should use User Configuration and "Explorer-Links".

If the policy does not apply, enable GPP tracing like Martin told you.

• 편집됨 Matthias Wolf 2013년 4월 2일 화요일 오후 5:59
    2013년 4월 2일 화요일 오후 5:55
  • Mathias I am confused.

Am I supposed to use User Config-->Preferences-->Windows Settings-->Files?

If I do that then I have the option to add a new file.  However I can only configure source file and destination file.  There is no way for me to configure explorer-links.

When I try to use User Config-->Preferences-->Windows Settings-->Shortcuts then I am able to see a pull down menu to select "Explorer Links" as the location.

2013년 4월 2일 화요일 오후 9:30
  • Using the "Files" Preference requires you to precreate the favorites (these are basically text files with an extension of .url) in a central location and then just copy them over to the favorites folder...

As it seems creating favorites will become more challenging, I'll try to take the time to find out what can go wrong, but in your case at the moment, I'd rely on GPP debug tracing to see what's going on under the hood.

2013년 4월 3일 수요일 오후 12:13
  • Using the "Files" Preference requires you to precreate the favorites (these are basically text files with an extension of .url) in a central location and then just copy them over to the favorites folder...

True.
    That is because I don't like the shortcuts extension.
    You may know the reason :-)

2013년 4월 3일 수요일 오후 12:53
  • Am 03.04.2013 14:53, schrieb Matthias Wolf [MVP]:
    > That is because I don't like the shortcuts extension.
    > You may know the reason :-)

Of course... For favorites, we dropped both IEM and GPP in favor of a
    custom ADMX template (Listbox additive) and a logon script that creates
    the ADMX-defined shortcuts. I like it when I'm in control...

2013년 4월 4일 목요일 오후 9:38
  • Hello all

I am Using Windows server 2008 R2 and i want to add proxy settings through group policy but i am also not able to find out Internet Explorer Maintenance in GPMC.What to do now i have already tried all this solution please help me to solve this issue

2014년 5월 30일 금요일 오전 11:38