none
Installing Office 365 on a different hard drive to that of the windows installation

질문

• Hi Guys,

I have an office 365 account and was using it succesfully on my pre-installed windows 8. My PC crashed and I re-installed windows 7 on it. I put the windows installation on my 20gb SSD and, as you have guessed, there is very little space left over on it for anything else.

I do understand the technology around the installer etc when you download from office365.com, but is there no way to work/get around this problem and install it to my 500gb HDD?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I need my office back up and running for business.

2013년 7월 29일 월요일 오전 11:53

답변

• There is a registry key that can be set prior to the installation of a retail version of Click-to-Run that allows for changing the default installation location. 

This can be accomplished by setting the InstallPath REG_SZ entry under HKLM\Software\Microsoft\ClickToRun\Override

to the absolute path to the folder where you want Microsoft Office 2013 to be installed.

Max Meng
    TechNet Community Support

2013년 7월 30일 화요일 오전 8:51
    중재자

모든 응답

• There is a registry key that can be set prior to the installation of a retail version of Click-to-Run that allows for changing the default installation location. 

This can be accomplished by setting the InstallPath REG_SZ entry under HKLM\Software\Microsoft\ClickToRun\Override

to the absolute path to the folder where you want Microsoft Office 2013 to be installed.

Max Meng
    TechNet Community Support

2013년 7월 30일 화요일 오전 8:51
    중재자
  • I am having the same problem for office 365 and am a little confused by your answer, could you explain what a registry key is and how one would access it before running the .exe?

Thanks

EDIT: Sorry, I just need to do better research, it is explained here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310516/en-us

2014년 1월 14일 화요일 오후 5:45
  • Having the same issue,  the First off who makes a user change a registry key in order to change an install location, If I wanted complicated installs I would use Linux, secondly the key does not exist in my win 8.1 registry.  

2014년 3월 26일 수요일 오후 3:21
  • Did not make any difference with the regedit entry. And what if you want to specify which apps to install?

Terji Petersen

2014년 3월 28일 금요일 오후 9:14
  • This key doesn't appear to exist in Windows 8.1.  Are you aware of an alternative?  Can I simply add the key and if so, what are the appropriate parameters/values?
    2015년 3월 4일 수요일 오후 9:51
  • This key doesn't appear to exist in Windows 8.1.  Are you aware of an alternative?  Can I simply add the key and if so, what are the appropriate parameters/values?

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Common\InstallRoot]
    "Path"="D:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Office\\Office15\\"

2015년 3월 19일 목요일 오전 2:08
  • Thanks Tony.  But wait.  The HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Common branch doesn't exist in the registry unless Office has already been installed.  And, by then, the product is probably already installed on c:

Are you saying one should Uninstall the product from C:, then go back and, creating registry keys as needed, create the InstallRoot key you mention above with a value specifying the desired path to another drive?  Then try to reinstall?

Earlier in this thread, there's a reference to "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\ClickToRun\Override" but I can't find such a key on my tablet.  The closest I can find is HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\ClickToRun, which does indeed contain a REG_SZ "InstallPath" with a value pointing to C:.  But there's no "Override" key on that branch.

So do I need to add an Override REG_SZ to the ClickToRun node?  With a value equal to the desired path to the D drive?  Do I also need to add the path as the value for the (Default) REG_SZ within the ...\Common\InstallRoot key?  If not, what's the name of the REG_SZ I need to add to ...\Common\InstallRoot?

Any help would be sincerely appreciated.

2015년 3월 21일 토요일 오후 9:44
  • Did you ever find your answer Charlie?
    2015년 4월 24일 금요일 오후 1:51
  • No I did not.  And I tried all sorts of things.  I reset my Tablet to the factory-new image.  Then I added every registry key I could find in a bunch of posts to different threads, including this one.  Then I went thru the entire registry and changed every entry I could find that referenced Office to point from C: to D: - there were literally dozens of them.  Then I restarted the Tablet.  Then I (re)activated the Office-365 product.  Sadly, it STILL installed itself to C:. 

In order to prevent Windows from chewing up what little free-space remains on the C: partition, I disabled Windows Update.  Now I can still use the thing, though I connect to the Internet only rarely so as to "protect" myself from bad things.  It's a shame. 

I'm still exploring my ability to restore the Tablet from an image I created using Windows restore.  If I can do that (an earlier attempt to restore such a Windows-created image failed and I almost had to send the device back to the factory to be re-imaged before I was able to recover it to working condition again) then I plan to delete the Factory restore partition on the C: drive and expand the basic System partition.  That will add about 7GB of space to the System partition which I hope will allow me to turn Windows Update back on and use the thing properly.  And I can still recover back to factory-new using the Windows-created restore image.  Haven't worked up the nerve to do that yet, though, because once I delete the factory-restore partition, there's no going back unless I have some sort of a backup image to fall back to in an emergency.

Sigh.

2015년 4월 24일 금요일 오후 3:06
  • Thanks for getting back to me, that's unfortunate. I was about to try the exact same thing you did so you saved me lot of time. I'm about to try mklink with the command prompt and move the directory contents. I'll let you know if I get that working. Right now I just can't use office - the install isn't leaving enough breathing room for windows on my SSD.
    2015년 4월 24일 금요일 오후 6:32
  • Alright CharlieWright I think I have a solution to this problem!
    It's weird, and it's kind of hacked together, but it seems to be working. Use this solution at your own risk, I have it working and i'm quite happy with it. With this solution windows basically *thinks* office is where it's supposed to be (C:) but it's not there, instead there's an automatic pointer to where it actually is (your other storage device). It's called a junction.. hence the /J later.. anyway, here's what I did:

1. Create a backup of everything in case this breaks your device. It shouldn't, but you never know.

2. Download and install LockHunter (lockhunter.com), it's a software I used to simplify the process. Without LockHunter you'll have to manually end process on everything that keeps you from accessing the office directory.

3. Empty your recycle bin.

4. Find every directory that office references, I only had one, some people have 2, I don't know if there are ever 3. They're commonly found at:
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office

5. Run CMD Prompt as administrator

6. For each Directory:
    - right click it (ie Microsoft Office 15 folder) and select "what is locking this folder?"
    - unlock it and navigate back to that directory.
    - delete the directory (send it to your recycle bin to relax)
    - in the cmd prompt type: MKLINK /J "Full original directory" "Desired destination directory"
    for example:
    MKLINK /J "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15" "D:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15"
    MKLINK /J "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office" "D:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office"

7. Create the destination directories manually.

8. Test the junction, if you did everything right, when you navigate to the original directory it will look like a shortcut folder and clicking it will look as if you're still on the C drive but you're not, you are actually in the destination directory. If you did something wrong you'll get an error.

9. Open your recycle bin, click the directory and click restore

• 답변으로 제안됨 Turner88 2015년 4월 24일 금요일 오후 8:25
    • 편집됨 Turner88 2015년 4월 24일 금요일 오후 9:44
    2015년 4월 24일 금요일 오후 8:17
  • Thanks Turner88.  I had considered researching links and junctions as I had seen a number of posts elsewhere indicating that may be the solution.  I just hadn't had the energy to take a deep breath and plunge into that deep water yet.  I'll file your post away as the next avenue of attack.

It's a serious thing to consider - particularly hard after 30 years of using MS Office - but, as much as I prefer MS Office, I've been thinking more and more lately about abandoning it in favor of OpenOffice. 

cw

2015년 4월 25일 토요일 오후 1:16
  • Thanks Turner88.  Your MKLINK solution worked for me.  Sadly, the above registry entry proposed by Max Meng did not.
    • 답변으로 제안됨 Craig Worley 2015년 7월 13일 월요일 오후 7:44
    • 답변으로 제안 취소됨 Craig Worley 2015년 7월 13일 월요일 오후 7:44
    • 편집됨 Craig Worley 2015년 7월 13일 월요일 오후 7:45
    2015년 7월 13일 월요일 오후 7:44
  • Thanks guys.  I'll try the LockHunter/MKLINK combo and see if it works for me.  I've been limping along.  But I have had to disable Windows Update, and I have no idea how many security updates I've had to forego as a result. 

cw

2015년 7월 14일 화요일 오후 1:34
  • Hey there

I'm a danish student and I got the Office365 for free from my university.
    I have a way too small  main SSD where my WIN10 is at (its the ux32vd laptop with a 24GB onboard ssd and a 500GB secondary hhd). I simply do not have the luxury to install the program on my c: folder.

Am I supposed to install Office first and the do these steps?
    And what do you mean in step 7? What and where should I create directories manually?

Juunasv

EDIT: Ok, I think I know what step 7 means.

But when I click restore in my recycle bin it tells me "The location is not available". Is that a problem?
    • 편집됨 Juunasv 2015년 11월 17일 화요일 오후 1:55
    2015년 11월 17일 화요일 오후 1:25
  • Sorry Juunasv.  I eventually gave up on this and installed an old version of Office 2010 which does allow me to select a drive other than C.  I'm still frustrated though, because I'd like to upgrade to Win-10.  But I can't do that because, like you, I don't have enough free space on my SSD to download the upgrade package.  If I ever find a way, I'll post it here.
    2015년 11월 30일 월요일 오후 3:58
  • Hi, I was bit lucky with my tab having 8.1 in it because not many files were in use. Here are my steps:

1. Create folder in destination drive - D:\Program Files\Microsoft Office

2. Cut and Paste content of c:\program files\microsoft office to new folder created above. Windows will start moving files. I was prompted twice that some file is in use. It also showed me which process is using it. 

3. Open task manager, locate the required process, kill it (end task)

4. Some files wanted admin rights for moving which was prompted for. I gave the permission.

5. Delete c:\program files\microsoft office folder. Might ask admin rights again.

6. Create link using mklink - MKLINK /J "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office" "D:\Program Fiiles\Microsoft Office"

7. Done. Start office and check if things work.

2015년 12월 14일 월요일 오전 6:11
  • this discussion helped, I had to tweak the commands and process a bit, but here is what worked for Win 10, Office 365 Office Pro 64 bit

delete the c drive office folders below.  Create the folders on your destination drive, mine was F:.

run these commands.

MKLINK /J "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office" "F:\Program Files\Microsoft Office"

MKLINK /J "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office" "F:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office"

MKLINK /J "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15" "F:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15"

2016년 3월 2일 수요일 오전 3:49
  • https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj219426.aspx

You cannot customize the installation location for Click-to-Run for Office 365 products. Click-to-Run can only be deployed to the system drive which is typically drive C.

2016년 8월 15일 월요일 오후 7:23
  • Is microsoft going to dump this Click to Run garbage on the next release of software ? Why would anyone wants to buy this piece of sh t and go through all the trouble when all the previous versions provide exactly what consumer wants ? This is consumer's freedom to customize software as we see fit and they pissed on every one of us
    2016년 9월 8일 목요일 오후 8:02
  • Under Microsoft "ClickToRun" doesn't exist  in my Win10.

Could you please tell me what would be the path for win10 ? 

2016년 9월 27일 화요일 오전 9:22
  • I followed your instructions. Seemed to work till I rebooted my PC. For some reason now I get the error code 30016-4 when I try to start any office application. Any idea on how to fix this? Thanks for you help. Cheers
    2016년 10월 9일 일요일 오후 5:45
  • Thanks Turner88. Your solution worked very well. Do you know if the same method it´s OK for other programs like Avast?

2017년 2월 18일 토요일 오후 10:43
  • Hello,

This is my experience with WINDOWS-10 & OFFICE-2016:

I have a 32GB hard drive so I was not keen on installing Office on C: Especially since it takes 2.9Gb and not just 2Gb as it told me. But I wasted a lot of time, looked high and low and could not get it done. I even looked into some Windows Admin tools which use XML and all different kinds of drama. 

I DON'T like registry edits because it's unsafe, not easily repeated--you'll forget what you did--and Windows doesn't really like it either. This method is a hardware level change so Office can be reinstalled multiple times and NEVER use drive C: Here, I think, is a very simple and drama free solution.

MOVING OFFICE FILES:

• Navigated to Program Files
    • Renamed "Microsoft Office" to" "_Microsoft Office"
    • Created a new (empty) "Microsoft Office" folder 
    • Navigated to Control Panel-->Admin-Tools-->Computer-Management-->Disk Management (
    • Created a new volume (and mounted it in the new empty folder)
    • Copied the files from "_Microsoft Office "back to" "Microsoft Office"
    • Tested all the programs AND all of them except Skype seem to work fine. Worst comes to worst, you reinstall Microsoft Office.

CLEAN INSTALL (PROBABLY SAFER):

• I did end up uninstalling and reinstalling Microsoft Office just to be safe.
    • Because the new volume is mounted in the folder, it had no choice but to return/go into the shadow-folder I created in the new volume. So the C: drive remains "unused" for Office.

Side note-1a. I don't know if all these laptops with 32Gb drives integrated into the motherboard are the same, but mine had an unused internal port which allowed me to install a 128Gb SSD. So I was also able to move the paging file totally off drive C: and unto drive D: which saved me some more space. I was also able to allocate a constant 7GB space to virtual memory.

Side note-1b: I found a port adapter which is needed for the internal SSD by doing a search on Amazon for "2nd HDD SSD Hard Drive Caddy Tray". You just need to dismantle the whole thing and take out the port adapter to allow you to use the internal CD drive port.

Side-note-2: With the new drive installed, you can navigate to (bottom right corner) Notifications-->All Settings-->System-->Storage. There is an option there to store your files on a different drive. It works for some programs but not Office. You can even redirect the programs (which comply) to an external drive. This will save you even more space.

Hope this helps. Cheers!!

• 편집됨 David M. Simmonds 2017년 9월 30일 토요일 오후 6:03
    • 답변으로 제안됨 Billy LV 2018년 1월 26일 금요일 오후 9:55
    2017년 9월 30일 토요일 오후 5:21
  • This solution worked just fine! Had only to add the line MKLINK /J "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office" "D:\Program Files\Microsoft Office"

Remember, MLINK will work only if you already moved the folders to destination drive, after the Office instalation.

Anyway I hope MS corrects this nonsense of not having a path configuration when instaling!

cheers!

2017년 12월 18일 월요일 오후 5:03
  • This method works great. One tiny issue when launching an Office app, system was throwing an error that application was unable to start, but the app did start even with the error. So I ran an Office repair and everything is perfect. Thank you for the awesome resolution. 
    2018년 1월 26일 금요일 오후 11:13
  • How do I create a new volume? I don't see the option inside Disk Management on Windows 10.
    2018년 3월 16일 금요일 오후 6:16
  • Just want to clarify, in Windows 10 the full path to this Registry Key is as follows:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\ClickToRun\Override

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” -Theodore Roosevelt

2018년 3월 22일 목요일 오전 2:19
  • @JackGold7236 - I'll also clarify that this is irrelevant: changing this (or creating if doesn't exist) unfortunately still won't alter were Orifice 365 / 2016 will install, which will still be "C:\Program Files (x86)."
    -------------------------------------------
    "Idiot-proof software is only appreciated by idiots" - unknown
    2018년 7월 4일 수요일 오전 11:56