none
MIM 2016 Exchange support

질문

• Hello,

In the documentation for MIM I can read that e-mail support for MIM only includes Exchange until version 2013 SP1. Just to make sure, Exchange Online (which is 2016) is not supported? Anyone any idea if that is going to be on the development roadmap?

Workaround would be to build an Exchange 2013 server on-prem I think? We have 2x Exchange 2016 hybrid servers, so I think if I put a 2013 server next to it, I can get it to be supported?

Oh and i think I can only use this workaround to send and receive e-mail. It looks like it is impossible to provision mailboxes with MIM 2016 when you have Exchange Online? Or can we kick of a script? (Iam totally new to MIM)

Thanks! 

• 편집됨 Oekeloen 2016년 6월 29일 수요일 오전 7:50
    2016년 6월 29일 수요일 오전 6:19

답변

• Hello,

you are right, Exchange Online is currently not supported in MIM for provision mailboxes or using request/approvals with the outlook add-in (2nd. thing is currently work in progress, there is an CTP out for that con connect)

MIM can only provision mailboxes for Ex2007/2010/2013, currently Ex2016 is not supported but I assume it will work.

Exchange Online mailboxes can be simply provisioned by setting the necessary attributes on the Azure AD Account (mailnickname, proxyAddresses) and that assign an license to that user.

You can user PowerShell to assign that licenses.

However I would not use MIM any more to sync account from on-Prem to Azure, just use MIM for all onPrem syncs and after that use AADConnect to synchronize objects to Azure AD.

You can use MIM for additonal tasks like PowerShell to for example do the license scripting and other things, but not the sync of objects.

/Peter

Peter Stapf - ExpertCircle GmbH - My blog: JustIDM.wordpress.com

• 답변으로 표시됨 Oekeloen 2016년 6월 29일 수요일 오후 12:15
    2016년 6월 29일 수요일 오전 9:30
  • Hello Shim, thanks for the reply. That definitely anwsered some of my questions :-). If the link might ever break:

SUPPORT FOR EXCHANGE ONLINE

Until now, FIM and MIM have only been able to use Exchange Online for notifications: approvals have required an on-premises Exchange server. With this Service Pack, it will be possible to have the MIM Service monitor an Exchange Online mailbox for approval traffic, so that we no longer need to maintain Exchange on-premises to support MIM’s approval functionality.

• 답변으로 표시됨 Oekeloen 2016년 6월 30일 목요일 오전 6:55
    • 편집됨 Oekeloen 2016년 6월 30일 목요일 오전 6:56
    2016년 6월 30일 목요일 오전 6:55

모든 응답

• Hello,

you are right, Exchange Online is currently not supported in MIM for provision mailboxes or using request/approvals with the outlook add-in (2nd. thing is currently work in progress, there is an CTP out for that con connect)

MIM can only provision mailboxes for Ex2007/2010/2013, currently Ex2016 is not supported but I assume it will work.

Exchange Online mailboxes can be simply provisioned by setting the necessary attributes on the Azure AD Account (mailnickname, proxyAddresses) and that assign an license to that user.

You can user PowerShell to assign that licenses.

However I would not use MIM any more to sync account from on-Prem to Azure, just use MIM for all onPrem syncs and after that use AADConnect to synchronize objects to Azure AD.

You can use MIM for additonal tasks like PowerShell to for example do the license scripting and other things, but not the sync of objects.

/Peter

Peter Stapf - ExpertCircle GmbH - My blog: JustIDM.wordpress.com

• 답변으로 표시됨 Oekeloen 2016년 6월 29일 수요일 오후 12:15
    2016년 6월 29일 수요일 오전 9:30
  • Hello Peter,

Just what I was looking for. I should have thought of that... We can just simply sync the users with AAD Connect, add the user to a group and let a script assign the licens for the user based on that group. Should be able to control that with MIM.

Thanks for the advice!

2016년 6월 29일 수요일 오후 12:15
  • MIM 2016 SP1 is in preview, it should answer some of your questions.

https://ocglearning.com/resources/microsoft-identity-manager-sp1/

• 편집됨 Shim Kwan 2016년 6월 29일 수요일 오후 9:57
    2016년 6월 29일 수요일 오후 9:56
  • Hello Shim, thanks for the reply. That definitely anwsered some of my questions :-). If the link might ever break:

SUPPORT FOR EXCHANGE ONLINE

Until now, FIM and MIM have only been able to use Exchange Online for notifications: approvals have required an on-premises Exchange server. With this Service Pack, it will be possible to have the MIM Service monitor an Exchange Online mailbox for approval traffic, so that we no longer need to maintain Exchange on-premises to support MIM’s approval functionality.

• 답변으로 표시됨 Oekeloen 2016년 6월 30일 목요일 오전 6:55
    • 편집됨 Oekeloen 2016년 6월 30일 목요일 오전 6:56
    2016년 6월 30일 목요일 오전 6:55
  • I know that this is in response to an old request from nearly 2 years ago. However, I recently had to go through this process and had to find a solution for provisioning through MIM.

The solution is this:

Step 1: Create Account in Active Directory as normal

Step 2: Add the following AD attributes:

• MailNickname: <should be the prefix of their email. This value correlates to their alias in Exchange>
    • TargetAddress: <Should add ”smtp:<mailnickname+lmu0.mail.onmicrosoft.com e.g. “smtp:onboardtest3@lmu0.mail.onmicrosoft.com>
    • msExchRecipientDisplayType: -2147483642
    • msExchRecipientTypeDetails: 2147483648
    • msExchRemoteRecipientType: 1

Step 3: Group Membership: Add to ‘OnboardGroup” security group in AD for Azure AD auto-licensing

Step 4: Enable the extension to provision mailbox and point to http://exchangehybridserver/powershell. Once the AD account is created, update recipient is called and the object will show up in Exchange. Based on the Hybrid exchange policies the mail and the proxy addresses would be created.

Step 5: Azure AD connect provisions the mailbox to Exchange 365.

• 답변으로 제안됨 Creados 2018년 6월 13일 수요일 오후 6:47
    2018년 6월 13일 수요일 오후 6:47