none
Best way to Patch SharePoint Server 2016 that has not been patched since June 2017 RRS feed

• 질문

• We are planning to patch our SharePoint environment to the latest patch level, however we have doubts that we can directly patch the latest CU.

What is the best approach to patch the SharePoint environment that has not been patched for more than 2 years? In our case, we have not patched since June 2017.

We are planning to patch our QA environment starting next week so I would like to collect as much information as possible to get this patching process go smoothly.

Questions

1. What is the best approach to patch? Meaning, since the last patch was on June 2017 should I patch July 2017, then Oct 2017, then Jan 2017 etc.... How do I determine which patch I should do next, validate, and move to the next patch?

2. What do we have to test after the each patching is done? What would be the validation checklist?

3. What are some resources we can leverage for patching 2016 Server? (Currently I am referring to https://www.toddklindt.com/blog/Builds/SharePoint-2016-Builds.aspx)

Regards,

Prabinesh

Prabinesh

2019년 10월 21일 월요일 오후 2:00

모든 응답

• You can directly install the latest CU, there won't be any problems just follow the link you shared, i would say install atleast one month old CU not the latest because if the latest CU has any issues you will face them that's why it's better to install a month old CU and check that CU has any bugs after patching.

Thanks & Regards,

sharath aluri

2019년 10월 21일 월요일 오후 2:20
  • Hi Prabinesh,

As Sharath said, you can directly install the latest CU for the SharePoint environment, and use the link to find the required CU.

To check if the CU installed successfully, you can check the following points( maybe it’s not complete but these are basic points):

• Make sure SharePoint build Number change to new.
    • Make Sure all server in farm saying no action required.
    • Make Sure All Databases(Content & Services & Config) status must be No Action required.
    • Make Sure Time Services & Admin Services is running on all server.
    • App Pools are running on all server.
    • Make Sure all web apps are up and running.
    • Make Sure the all the required Services are running.
    • Run the User Profile Sync.
    • Run the Search Crawl.
    • Test the Basic operations of SharePoint:

Create a new site collection

Create new subsite

Add / remove users

Create new workflow, run the existing workflows.

Test the alerts.

Upload & Delete file

Check in / check out files

Publish a page

Other functionality which you use a lot

• If you an customization, then test it is placed and functionality available. i.e solution deployment, web.config changes etc.

Best regards,

Grace Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

2019년 10월 22일 화요일 오전 2:11
  • Thank you.

Prabinesh

2019년 10월 22일 화요일 오후 3:34
  • Thank you.

Prabinesh

2019년 10월 22일 화요일 오후 3:34
  • Hi Prabinesh,

If the post helps you, you can mark it as answer to help other community members to find the information quickly.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

Grace Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

2019년 10월 23일 수요일 오전 1:34