none
Office 365 Business -- no included family users like Office 365 Home, right?

질문

• I'm having a hard time confirming what I believe to be the case and need to know before I purchase a new Office 365 Business license (for the sharing security in OneDrive for Business compared with zero security in OneDrive personal):

In Office 365 Home, you can let up to 4 additional people use the Office license, each of them getting their own 1TB space on OneDrive and support for multiple computers. This is in addition to the 5 computers that the primary user gets. In theory, this is up to 25 computers -- 5 users with computers each.

I believe that in any of the Office 365 business licenses, this is not the case. Am I correct? If I "upgraded" to Office 365 Business from Office 365 Home, my wife and kids would all lose their ability to install Office locally on their computers and they would lose their 1TB of OneDrive storage. Yes?

I hope to be wrong about this, but while I can't find anything that lists this clearly as a distinction or advantage to Office 365 Home over Office 365 Business (almost nothing compares Home vs. Business versions of Office 365), I also don't see the additional users listed as a feature for the Business edition, but this is promoted as a benefit of the Home edition. That's the only data I have to go on that leads me to believe my family would lose their accounts.

Thanks in advance for any advice on this subject,
    Colin

Colin

2018년 4월 23일 월요일 오후 1:04

답변

• I did receive confirmation from another source that:

Yes, if I shift from Office 365 Home, which supports up to 5 users, each with their own multiple computers and 1TB OneDrive accounts, to Office 365 Business or any of the business-oriented Office 365 options, I would lose the support for additional users.

There is one advantage do to OneDrive for Business over Office 365 Business Essentials, but it didn't apply in my case: Office 365 Business Essentials has a 300-person limit. OneDrive for Business does not. Other than limit on number of users, yes, at $5/mo for both, Office 365 Business Essentials includes OneDrive for Business plus more, so it's a better deal. However, it is also apparently possible to use the max of 300 Office 365 Business Essential licenses and then add additional users with one of the other products without the 300-person limit, including OneDrive for Business. Mix and match is OK.

For me, I've decided to stick with Office 365 Home and add one copy of Office 365 Business Essentials. This adds $60/year, but preserves my family members Office accounts and OneDrive space and gets me the security I need to securely share folders on OneDrive, plus access to Teams, Planner, and some other stuff that comes in handy. If I needed hosted e-mail, I'd get that too, but I don't use that.

2018년 4월 27일 금요일 오전 10:52

모든 응답

• Related follow-up question: if I choose to stick with Office 365 Home for the family users and just separately add OneDrive for Business just for me (1 user), is there any reason to go with the OneDrive for Business @ $5/mo instead of Office 365 Business Essentials @ $5/mo? It looks to me like Office 365 Business Essentials includes OneDrive for Business plus adds other tools that might be useful. Is that right or are there also advantages to just going with OneDrive for Business?

And if I do start with OneDrive for Business and then want to switch to Office 365 Business Essentials later (or vice versa), would that all use the same account ID so it's easy to change between them?

Colin

2018년 4월 23일 월요일 오후 2:37
  • Hi Colin,

Based on your description, I suggest you refer to this support article about switching from Office 365 for Home to a business subscription:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/switch-from-an-office-365-for-home-to-a-business-subscription-9322ffb8-a35d-4407-8ebe-ed6ea0859b9f?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

Please read this article, if you need more help about switching subscription please contact Microsfot:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/contact-support-for-business-products-admin-help-32a17ca7-6fa0-4870-8a8d-e25ba4ccfd4b

Hope it's helpful.

Regards,

Emi

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

2018년 4월 24일 화요일 오전 7:38
    중재자
  • That's not helpful. The pasting of generic links is one of the worst things that happens on TechNet (and answers.microsoft.com). It is so frustrating that in your quest for points you guys throw largely irrelevant links up as an answer without ever really reading the question in the hope that once in a while they'll actually be useful to the person asking the question. Instead, you waste people's time chasing down dead-ends. Please read thoroughly first, then think about the question, then try to provide a thoughtful response that is actually related to the question being asked.

I had already read those. As stated in my question, none of those explicitly state if my family members will lose their 1TB of storage space. If you read the question and really knew the content of those links, you would have known they don't shed any light on my question.

Are you able to confirm or correct the following two statements: 

1. My family members will lose their 1TB of OneDrive storage if I move from my one subscription to Office 365 Home to one subscription to either Office 365 Business, One Drive for Business, or Office 365 Business Essentials. 

2. There is no advantage to using OneDrive for Business as a stand-alone service, because Office 365 Business Essentials fully includes OneDrive for Business plus adds features at the same price.

Colin

2018년 4월 24일 화요일 오후 2:47
  • I think you can post this question to Office 365 forum:

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Office-365/bd-p/Office365General

But I think the best way is ask customer service, it's a pre-sale/after-sale question.

2018년 4월 27일 금요일 오전 9:39
  • I did receive confirmation from another source that:

Yes, if I shift from Office 365 Home, which supports up to 5 users, each with their own multiple computers and 1TB OneDrive accounts, to Office 365 Business or any of the business-oriented Office 365 options, I would lose the support for additional users.

There is one advantage do to OneDrive for Business over Office 365 Business Essentials, but it didn't apply in my case: Office 365 Business Essentials has a 300-person limit. OneDrive for Business does not. Other than limit on number of users, yes, at $5/mo for both, Office 365 Business Essentials includes OneDrive for Business plus more, so it's a better deal. However, it is also apparently possible to use the max of 300 Office 365 Business Essential licenses and then add additional users with one of the other products without the 300-person limit, including OneDrive for Business. Mix and match is OK.

For me, I've decided to stick with Office 365 Home and add one copy of Office 365 Business Essentials. This adds $60/year, but preserves my family members Office accounts and OneDrive space and gets me the security I need to securely share folders on OneDrive, plus access to Teams, Planner, and some other stuff that comes in handy. If I needed hosted e-mail, I'd get that too, but I don't use that.

2018년 4월 27일 금요일 오전 10:52