none
How do I get MS Word to look at Sharepoint for workgroup templates? RRS feed

• 질문

• We have chosen to use Microsoft Sharepoint as our document management system.  Using a document library to version control our MS Office document templates is easy enough.  However, I cannot find a way to get MS Office 2007 to create new documents using the templates recorded in Sharepoint.  I can point Word to look at a standard network drive using:

Office Button > Word Options > Advanced > File Locations...

However, I cannot use an http(s) address for the 'Workgroup templates' path.  I have tried to map a network address to the Sharepoint library, which works fine from Windows Explorer, but Word will not allow me to use this drive either (I assume because the underlying address is still an Internet address.

In my opinion, it is neither logical, nor efficient, nor sensible for Word users to have to use IE to create new documents, just because the templates are under configuration management in Sharepoint.

It would be greatly appreciated if someone could tell me how to achieve this.

• 이동됨 Mike Walsh FIN 2011년 7월 28일 목요일 오후 5:19 admin q not general (From:SharePoint - General Question and Answers and Discussion (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    2011년 7월 28일 목요일 오후 2:45

답변

• You can't really point a local copy of Word at the templates in SharePoint.  They aren't guaranteed to be the same thing.  SharePoint Word templates can be either DOC or DOT files, but local Word templates must be .DOT files and they must be stored locally.  The use of the term template to describe both is a poor choice in my opinion because it leads people to assume as you do that they are the same thing.  They aren't and aren't used the same way either.

The bottom line is that there is no way to do what you are trying to do.  If you want people to use the templates stored in SharePoint then they must use SharePoint to create the new documents.  Whether that is logical, efficient, or sensible is open for debate.  But it is the way its designed and can't be changed.

Paul Stork SharePoint Server MVP
    2011년 7월 28일 목요일 오후 3:14

모든 응답

• You can't really point a local copy of Word at the templates in SharePoint.  They aren't guaranteed to be the same thing.  SharePoint Word templates can be either DOC or DOT files, but local Word templates must be .DOT files and they must be stored locally.  The use of the term template to describe both is a poor choice in my opinion because it leads people to assume as you do that they are the same thing.  They aren't and aren't used the same way either.

The bottom line is that there is no way to do what you are trying to do.  If you want people to use the templates stored in SharePoint then they must use SharePoint to create the new documents.  Whether that is logical, efficient, or sensible is open for debate.  But it is the way its designed and can't be changed.

2011년 7월 28일 목요일 오후 3:14
  • Thank you for the clear and accurate, if disappointing, answer Paul.

Local files are necessarily uncontrolled, which appears to contradict the purpose of having CM.  Maybe some kind of Virtual Device Driver, to provide a local drive mapping to connect to the remote Sharepoint host, may be in order.  I'm pretty sure ClearCase provides such a thing...

Michael Randle Technical Sales Manager Absolute Software Ltd Tel: 08450 944 744 Mobile: 07805 081 085 Web: www.absolute-software.co.uk
    2011년 7월 28일 목요일 오후 3:41
  • You can try that.  But remember there is no guarantee that Library templates will be .DOT files.  The default ones that ship with SharePoint are .DOC.  Either one will work in SharePoint, but I don't think the .DOC files will work in WORD directly.
    2011년 7월 28일 목요일 오후 3:49
  • Hi Paul, everyone,

I have a different but similar (!) question.

I want all my users to use the latest version of Word templates to fill-in standard request documents. I store my .dot files on a SharePoint site where everyone can click and open them. And this is the problem, the template itself opens instead of opening a new empty document.

There is this article (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/278627/en-us) to solve the problem at the web browser level, hyperlinking to .lnk linking to .dot, but I cannot do this in SharePoint...

Any idea ?

Thanks in advance

Fred

2011년 12월 7일 수요일 오전 10:45
  • If you add the .dot files as templates associated with content types in a document library then when users create a new document using the NEW button in the library it will download and use the new .dot file to create a .doc.  However, as pointed out above it won't keep the .dot in SharePoint associated with the new .doc file, it will just base the new file off it.  In general that's usually enough.
    Paul Stork SharePoint Server MVP Chief SharePoint
    Architect: Sharesquared Blog: http://dontpapanic.com/blog
    Twitter: Follow @pstork
    Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves your problem.
    2011년 12월 7일 수요일 오후 2:13
  • Paul,

Do you have a recommendation if we should use DOT, DOC (or even DOTM, DOTX, DOCX, etc.) in SharePoint?  I seem to have all of the above in our library holding templates (which we connect to the "New" button to point to the file in a Content Type library).

--rms www.rmschneider.com
    2011년 12월 20일 화요일 오전 9:07
  • Given the way that SharePoint makes use of them it doesn't really matter whether you use DOC, DOCX, DOT or DOTX files as templates in SharePoint.  Of course the use of DOT or DOTX makes it easier to distribute them locally as Word Templates for when users don't use the New button.  But there is no process for that to be done by SharePoint.  The templates would need to be downloaded and installed manually.

DOTM isn't a particularly good choice since the macros stored in it will only be available when the new document is first created.

Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves your problem.
    2011년 12월 20일 화요일 오후 12:36
  • Thanks for all the replies.  As far as I can gather, they all seem to indicate that SharePoint is not the right tool for my application.  I was rather hoping that Micrsoft would have provided a more seamless integration between their Office and Enterprise tools.

As a Quality Manager, I want to be able to update the templates used by the company emlpoyees and roll them out without directly affecting the employees who use them. 

• When creating a document, people will open MS Word and use File -> New.  It is illogical and inefficient to ask them to create all new documents by opening their browser, logging in to SharePoint, navigating to the appropriate Templates folder and creating their new documents from there, without being able preview and verify that they're using the appropriate template.
    • The alternative (to get everyone to make local copies of the Templates) immediately ensures that the document management system is broken as all new documents will be created from uncontrolled copies of the templates.

Neither scenario is good business practice.

My conclusion is that we should look into an alternative Document Management System, maybe something as simple as setting up access permissions on a shared drive.

Thanks again.

Michael Randle Technical Sales Manager Absolute Software Ltd Tel: 08450 944 744 Mobile: 07805 081 085 Web: www.absolute-software.co.uk
    2011년 12월 21일 수요일 오후 3:34
  • I don't think you are going to find what you are looking for.  I'm not aware of any ECM that provides the kind of functionality you want when the user starts inside Word.  And since Word requires that all templates be stored locally I don't see how setting up access permissions on a shared drive will help either.
    2011년 12월 21일 수요일 오후 4:43
  • I have struggled with this problem my self and as I see it you have two options

1. The old way: store your templates on a shared drive and set the word path for workgroup templates to that place.

2. Store your templates (of course, dotx or dotm files) in a sharepoint library (write-protected).
        Map that address,
        make a local folder,
        set the path for workgroup templates to that local folder.
        Synchronize the local folder with the mapped networkfolder.

It's a "home made" work around that seems to work. It gives you the version control in sharepoint and makes the templates reachable from word.

/P Tamme

2012년 1월 25일 수요일 오전 9:19
  • I ended up changing the registry using vbs...

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software|Microsoft\Office\12.0Common\General

SharedTemplates

Set it to a SharePoint address for Doc Library.

2012년 6월 4일 월요일 오후 6:50
  • I've made this change, but then in Word 2010 I did not see any reference to this "folder" in the File/New when creating a new document.   any other ideas.

2012년 7월 3일 화요일 오후 7:37
  • Hi

I want to use the same word template to open both from Sharepoint and Word, which, I believe,  is the same issue as described above.

Now it is three years later. Still doesn't work?

Best Regards

/Katarina

2014년 5월 12일 월요일 오후 12:08
  • It still doesn't work because Office templates are not designed to open from remote storage locations.  Until that design changes it will never work.

Principal Architect: Blue Chip Consulting Group
    Blog: http://dontpapanic.com/blog

2014년 5월 12일 월요일 오후 2:09
  • I routinely "attach" with an http: link to a template in a SharePoint server as the template for a Word document. works just fine.

We also store templates to start documents in SharePoint. works just fine (even with above link in that document).

• 편집됨 Rob Schneider 2014년 5월 12일 월요일 오후 6:36
    2014년 5월 12일 월요일 오후 6:33
  • Hi Rob,

Could you please explain with detailed instructions?

Kannan

2016년 5월 8일 일요일 오후 12:39
  • I put the DOTX file in a SharePoint folder (hence in version control).  Get the URL for the document (right mouse click and pick Copy URL or whatever your browser uses for nomenclature).   In Word 2001 for OSX (and various versions of Word in Windows gets there with various menu options), Menu: Tools/Templates and Add-in. Ihe Doocument template field, paste in the URL.  I normally check "on" the "Automatically Document Document Styles" option.

In Word 2016, the menu option is buried in Menu: File/Options/ Add-ins, pull down "Manage" "templates".  take it up with Microsoft why so far down in guts.  Maybe a way to put on a tool bar. Explore.

If you need templates to create fresh new documents with boilerplate based on templates in SharePoint, then I would use SP document content types and attached to the "New" button in SHarePoint in the normal way.  

For me the biggest issue on the big writing projects I found myself leading was to manage the styles and formatting and swatting out people being "creative"with their own hard-wired formatting instead of using the "big buttons" defining styles (which a lot of people pretended to not see).

I've since gotten out of the big team writing projects.  

But it works ok as described above if people would just do it. 

2016년 5월 8일 일요일 오후 1:08
  • BZZZZZ -- thanks for trying. That  is the most ridiculous statement that I've seen in a blog post in quite a while.. That is the EXACT purpose of the workgroup file locations in MS Word - create one version of the templates and place them in a location where they can be accessed by everyone.. When the powers-at-be decide to change a workgroup template, they make the change in one place one time and everyone with the settings gets the new template. There's even a Group Policy for pushing it out to everyone   Roaming profiles -- hmmm they can be kept on the network location...

In fact, if memory serves me correctly there use to also be an Enterprise Template library setting as well -- it may have been relegated to the group policy template only.

All science is either physics or stamp collecting

2017년 7월 7일 금요일 오전 11:14
  • @Paul Stork

-I know this thread is stale, but just for the record...-

Please try the following to confirm you actually can use sharepoint as source for templates:

on the command line launch these two:

net use x: https://sharepoint.mydom.local/sites/intranet/main/templates

subst y: x:\

Now let word point to y: - that's it. Usable here on word 2010/2016.

• 편집됨 Ronald Schilf 2017년 7월 13일 목요일 오전 10:50
    • 답변으로 제안됨 Ronald Schilf 2017년 7월 13일 목요일 오전 10:51
    2017년 7월 13일 목요일 오전 10:50
  • HI, Roy. I like your solution, and have used this before personally. However, it does seem that if you want everyone in your org to use the "template shortcut to SharePoint via My Templates", then each person would need to do this--or somehow push out a C:\Users\...\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates set of templates files to everyone presumably via Group Policy "roaming" as suggested by GUYO.

Might work (best/better) with Content Types, though.

Thoughts anyone?

Timothy

Timothy F SharePoint Site Administrator

2017년 10월 6일 금요일 오후 8:46
  • Sorry, let me re-clarify.  Yes, you can pull office templates from a remote location IF that remote location is a network file share.  But you can't do it by pointing at a remote location that is a SharePoint library situated in a web site.  Yes, it will work if you map a drive to the SharePoint library and use that drive mapping as the network file share.  But mapping SharePoint libraries as file shares really isn't a good longterm solution in my experience.  So the bottom line is that you can't really use a template stored in a SharePoint library in this way.  Its just not designed to work that way.  The workgroup file locations setting in word is for Network file shares (UNC paths), not web site (HTTP).

Owner/Principal Architect: Don't Pa..Panic Consulting
    Please remember to mark your question as 'answered' if this solves your problem.

2017년 10월 10일 화요일 오전 11:25
  • Hi Paul.

"But mapping SharePoint libraries as file shares really isn't a good longterm solution in my experience" - because...what could happen longterm?

2017년 10월 10일 화요일 오전 11:40
  • Because in my experience they are unreliable.  They have a tendency to fail and often need to be recreated.  They also bypass some of the logic built in to the UI which can lead to issues like files that have no checked in version and are therefore invisible.  Finally they aren't a good longterm solution in an enterprise because they don't always work for everyone.  You may be able to map a drive today and fail on a different workstation tomorrow.

Please remember to mark your question as 'answered' if this solves your problem.

2017년 10월 10일 화요일 오전 11:51
  • Thanks for following up.

May I ask you to specify a few things?

"They have a tendency to fail" - what is a failing network drive? Does it disconnect at times? Will it never connect? Couldn't you read from/write to it at times?

My SP experience is relatively young, but the mapped drives have never failed (disconnected/never connected) in our company so far (win10->SP2016). What SP versions/OS' did you have problems with? And was your experience "longterm" or did you just test it and abandon it quickly?

• 편집됨 Ronald Schilf 2017년 10월 10일 화요일 오후 12:03
    2017년 10월 10일 화요일 오전 11:56
  • Templates do not have to be local and the problem that was previous experienced in using.DOTX as the Document templates has been resolved in SharePoint 2013..

I can use an SSL based file share -- I have one on our CEO's desktop where he drops his emails.

• 편집됨 GUYO 2017년 10월 11일 수요일 오전 11:51
    2017년 10월 11일 수요일 오전 11:46
  • .DOTX file are handled just fine in SharePoint 2013

• 편집됨 GUYO 2017년 10월 11일 수요일 오전 11:50
    2017년 10월 11일 수요일 오전 11:47
  • The workgroup file location is intended for exactly that purpose -- put all the templates you want on a network share - it'll even sort out the folders for your..

2017년 10월 11일 수요일 오전 11:48
  • Sorry, but the  shares are mapped as UNC locations not mapped drive letters or HTTP links..

2017년 10월 11일 수요일 오전 11:55
  • FUD -- Fear,  Uncertainty and doubt. If it really an issue with the shares disappearing, then have them recreated as part of the GPO -- problem solved.

2017년 10월 11일 수요일 오전 11:57
  • GO for it...   It'll work just fine.. Version control the templates in SharePoint -- The bigger version is syncing the SharePoint Version number with the version printed at the bottom of the form  ( you are putting version numbers on your form aren't you)..

2017년 10월 11일 수요일 오전 11:58
  • Check the File -> Options -> Advanced -> General -> File Locations -> Workgroup templates -- > [ point that the the UNC share on your SharePoint Site} containing the versioned templates ( as .DOTX)..

2017년 10월 11일 수요일 오후 12:01
  • Dear GUYO.

Many people have subscribed to this thread and get an e-mail notification for each new comment. Please be so kind to put your suggestions into one comment. If you feel like addressing different people, just write

@Guyo before your comment.

--

Please also acknowledge, that word 2010/2016 will not allow https paths (to sharepoint 2016 sites) as workgroup templates. You are greeted with this message:

See my comment above for a workaround using subst and net use.

--

@Paul Stork - if you find the time, I would be delighted if you could answer my

May I ask you to specify a few things?

They have a tendency to fail" - what is a failing network drive? Does it disconnect at times? Will it never connect? Couldn't you read from/write to it at times?

• 편집됨 Ronald Schilf 2017년 10월 11일 수요일 오후 12:04
    2017년 10월 11일 수요일 오후 12:03
  • Basically most of the scenarios you mention.  I've seen the following

1) Workstations where you could never get the drive to map at all to a SharePoint library

2) Instances where after connecting in the past the mapped drive fails to connect this time.

Its been a problem with all versions for some people since Windows XP.  

Try this.  Do a Search on "sharepoint problems with mapped drives" and look at the pages of responses you get with multiple people asking for help trying to map a drive, reconnect a drive or troubleshoot a problem with a mapped drive.  Its tough to be more specific than to say that SharePoint is not really designed with drive mapping as a primary connection methodology.  I'm glad your experience has been different.  But I don't recommend it to most of my clients because my experience at multiple clients, with multiple versions and Operating systems has been different.

2017년 10월 11일 수요일 오후 5:21
  • A mapped drive is just associating a drive letter with a UNC address.  Mapping a SharePoint library involves creating a UNC address for something whose primary access mechanism is http.  Converting an HTTP address to a UNC doesn't change the underlying protocol.  You aren't talking to SharePoint using the UNC.  You are talking to something that is converting the UNC request to an http request.  

2017년 10월 11일 수요일 오후 5:24
  • @Paul Stork

Thanks. "Do a Search on "sharepoint problems with mapped drives" - I have my problems with doing this. Take any sentence with windows and problem in it (or office or sharepoint) and you will google at least 100,000 hits. Googling problems is no statistical data I like to rely on. Even binging it here within TechNet is not reliable since there is an incredible amount of novices in here when it comes to analyzing problems.

How was your own experience in terms of "What SP-version/OS-version combination did you have problems with?" And was your experience "longterm" or did you just test it and abandon it quickly?

• 편집됨 Ronald Schilf 2017년 10월 11일 수요일 오후 8:56
    2017년 10월 11일 수요일 오후 8:40
  • First, I wasn't suggesting you go by the statistics alone.  I was suggesting you search on the topic and read about what other people are reporting in terms of problems.  That way you don't have to take my word for it being an issue.

Second, As I already stated this has been an ongoing problem tested and observed across multiple versions of operating systems and multiple versions of SharePoint.

The bottom line.  Will the suggested solution work for some people.  Yes.  Is it designed to work that way.  No.  SharePoint is designed to be a Web site, not a UNC path.  Since the Office Template function is designed to only work with local and UNC paths that means you are using a sub-optimal workaround as the recommended solution.  I don't recommend it for reasons that I've already stated.  You have a right to your own opinion.  I simply don't share it and have tried several times to provide factual based reasoning on why I don't.  I won't be responding to this thread anymore.

2017년 10월 12일 목요일 오후 12:01
  • Thanks for letting me know your valued opinion. I regret that you don't feel like replying, but I understand that you have other/better things to do.

Maybe you will still read this:

"Is it designed to work that way.  No." - I agree, it obviously isn't.

"SharePoint is designed to be a Web site, not a UNC path" - we are not turning it into a UNC path by utilizing "net use" or subst. Originally, it is https, net use uses WebDAV.

"Since the Office Template function is designed to only work with local and UNC paths..." - sure. But if we look at it from a technical perspective... what does word do: it lists a folder. There is nothing complicated about listing a webDAV folder. So that limitation is somewhat strange.

If this is all about WebDAV not being stable in windows, ok, so be it. We use it like this, it works, it is surely an ugly workaround, since it uses up 2 drive letters (one for net use, the other for subst) and surely, I wouldn't have done it myself, but my boss told me to implement it against my own advice.

Have a nice day everyone.

• 답변으로 제안됨 GoldSkinJob 2019년 1월 24일 목요일 오전 9:45
    2017년 10월 12일 목요일 오후 12:18
  • What about using a OneDrive folder sync?
    2019년 1월 24일 목요일 오전 9:46
  • Who uses .dot and .doc anymore -- didn't that change about 15 years ago?? 

SharePoint since 2010 works with .dot files -- I suggested the feature change , I've got a "woops we didn't think about that" email from the product team floating around someplace.

2019년 1월 25일 금요일 오후 12:11
  • Please end the confusion and change the .dot and .doc references to .dotx and .docx

2019년 1월 25일 금요일 오후 12:12
  • That's ludicrous.. There are paths in Word for TWO remote template locations... Workgroup (via the GUI) and Enterprise accessible via GPO/Registry..

2019년 1월 25일 금요일 오후 12:13
  • You can map directly to the http: location if WebDAV is enabled.. You can use https: via GPO -- the parser inside WORD is bit brain dead and doesn't recognize https.

2019년 1월 25일 금요일 오후 12:16
  • Hi there

I have just been trying the same thing, but Word or Office doesn't like to have templates point to a web location, so... the work-around for this is that you can synchronize the document library on your local machine and get office to point to the synchronized copy, which is local.

If the template is updated in the document library, the synchronized copy will be updated.

Hope that helps.

2019년 8월 28일 수요일 오후 11:45
  • You may actually have to update the registry or deploy the ADMX GPO templates for Office -- there's a field there for the network locations of the workgroup as well as the Enterprise Templates... The noise about Office not working over a network is exactly that NOISE.. What do the detractors think happens when you're using folder redirection and/or roaming profiles... 

2019년 8월 30일 금요일 오후 5:33