none
Taking Ownership, Access Denied

질문

• On our network, from time to time, a user will screw up permissions to a folder or file they create. In the past, we have been able to simply go to the location with our admin account, take ownership of the file or folder and reset the permissions. Something changed at the enterprise level and now we are unable to do that. I have asked for enterprise help and they don't seem to understand what I am asking for.

Our set up.  At our site, we have a NetApp device with several shares.  These shares are shared out to the network via DFS.  DFS is managed at the enterprise level and the NetApp is managed locally.  We have not made any changes to our NetApp or our namespace servers that help with replication. 

Yes, I am using an administrator account to attempt this.  Yes, I could do this before.  I believe this started right around the same time the enterprise started upgrading their DFS servers.

Here are pictures.  If anyone can help me figure out what change was made, or what change needs to be made to make it so our admin accounts can take ownership of files and folders again, I would appreciate it.

Before, instead of giving me an error, it would let me know that I don't have permissions, and that continuing would overwrite permissions to give me full control, I would click OK, then boom, I would have full control and give permissions back the way they should be.  all done.

Edit:  I guess in short, the real question here is does anyone with DFS/NTFS/File Share knowledge know of any setting or configuration item or GPO that controls who can and who cannot take control of files and folders they do not already have permissions to?
    • 편집됨 fpatrickmccoy 2018년 7월 11일 수요일 오후 12:59
    2018년 7월 10일 화요일 오후 9:14

답변

• SOLVED!

So, After long hours of working with DFS and NTFS, I finally went back to the storage guys running the NetApp and asked them to dig further, that I could find no problems with permissions on the DFS or the NTFS side of the house, that the issue had to be either with the SHARE permissions or Permissions on the NetApp itself.  We found that there was a security group that was used to give admins the Admin role on the NetApp and found that someone had all but gutted that group, that only the domain and enterprise admins were left in the group.  More researching and talking with many many other admins, it was determined that our site needed to create a storage admin group for our site and that group would be added into the permissions on the NetApp.  Once that was done, all was good.  I can manage via GUI and PS Script.

2018년 7월 12일 목요일 오후 2:39

모든 응답

• Sorry; i can't see your issue from the backseat with a blindfold on. 

but it sounds like someone higher up the food chain then yourself defecated all over the bed.

work within your company; i cant speculate on the retardation in your company.

2018년 7월 10일 화요일 오후 9:23
  • Hi,

You could try log out and then log back in, or just reboot to clear any files you may have open

Then browse to the root folder you are working on (one level down from the file/folder you are having trouble with), right click and select PROPERTIES, then click the SECURITY TAB, then the ADVANCED button, then click the REPLACE ALL CHILD PERMISSION ENTRIES…

Please use CMD line try to take ownership, please right-click Command Prompt, and click Run as administrator. If you have already log on the server as administrator, please still right-click " Run as administrator"

http://www.itprotoday.com/management-mobility/taking-ownership-file-or-folder-command-line

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information

Best Regards,

Mary

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

2018년 7월 11일 수요일 오전 5:08
    중재자
  • I guess the root question here is does anyone with DFS\NTFS\File Share knowledge know if there is a setting or configuration item that can control who can and cannot take ownership of files and folders that they do not already have access to?
    2018년 7월 11일 수요일 오후 12:52
  • Hi,

If you try with command line,could that work? Please do a test.

And you could  temporarily disable UAC and restart to do a check. Sometimes, UAC settings will make admin account as standard user account. So even you log on as administrator account, you still couldn't do some operation.

Best Regards,

Mary

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

2018년 7월 12일 목요일 오전 3:02
    중재자
  • SOLVED!

So, After long hours of working with DFS and NTFS, I finally went back to the storage guys running the NetApp and asked them to dig further, that I could find no problems with permissions on the DFS or the NTFS side of the house, that the issue had to be either with the SHARE permissions or Permissions on the NetApp itself.  We found that there was a security group that was used to give admins the Admin role on the NetApp and found that someone had all but gutted that group, that only the domain and enterprise admins were left in the group.  More researching and talking with many many other admins, it was determined that our site needed to create a storage admin group for our site and that group would be added into the permissions on the NetApp.  Once that was done, all was good.  I can manage via GUI and PS Script.

2018년 7월 12일 목요일 오후 2:39
  • glad you found the culprit. 

best of luck lil' buddy.

2018년 7월 12일 목요일 오후 2:47
  • Hi,

You could also mark the helpful reply as the answer for anyone else to do a reference.

Best Regards,

Mary

2018년 7월 13일 금요일 오전 6:38
    중재자