Using inplace upgrade to repair 2016 Server Essentials. RRS feed

• 질문

• Hi all

I have a home server that only use to do home users PCs backup and some file storage. Nothing fancy.

It seems that my windows update services are hosed and can be fixed. So I was thinking to do in-place upgrade of the same version to fix those issues. I did work but I now is getting presented with setup wizard. I would,like to keep the server name and domain the same but wizard wouldn't let me.

I do have server backup but I'm not sure what was the last good version to restore.

So Is there a way to do this? Please point me into the right direction. Or may be there is another way to do it.

I also tried to update the 2016 server to 2019 and the process just hanging overnight with no progress.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

• 편집됨 LeoG71 2020년 7월 3일 금요일 오후 8:38
    2020년 7월 3일 금요일 오후 8:38

답변

• HI
    Thanks for your reply.
    " If I do in-place upgrade I would hope it would preserve essential experience role."
    Unfortunately,i think it can not come ture.in-place upgrading to server 2019 essentials,will not preserve essential experience role.so sticking to server 2016 is also a good idea.

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• 답변으로 표시됨 LeoG71 2020년 7월 14일 화요일 오후 3:07
    2020년 7월 14일 화요일 오후 1:45

모든 응답

• HI
    1.So Is there a way to do this? Please point me into the right direction. Or may be there is another way to do it.
    since server 2019 essentials/standard version has removed server essential experience role,we can not inplace upgrade from server 2016 essentials to server 2019 essentials/standard.

2.what's the problem happen on server 2016 ?why we need to do inplace upgrade server 2016 to fix this problem ? 

3.if we run below command in command prompt on issue w2016 ,will it detect the system issue  ?
    sfc scannow
    dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth   
    dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth 

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

2020년 7월 6일 월요일 오전 3:02
  • HI
    Is there any progress on your question?

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

2020년 7월 13일 월요일 오후 11:45
  • I found an older server backup that was fully operational. So I'm back to 2016. One of my questions was. If I do in-place upgrade I would hope it would preserve essential experience role.

If that is the case then I will stick to 2016 as long as I can. MS should just release it as standalone app.

Thanks

2020년 7월 13일 월요일 오후 11:54
  • HI
    Thanks for your reply.
    " If I do in-place upgrade I would hope it would preserve essential experience role."
    Unfortunately,i think it can not come ture.in-place upgrading to server 2019 essentials,will not preserve essential experience role.so sticking to server 2016 is also a good idea.

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

• 답변으로 표시됨 LeoG71 2020년 7월 14일 화요일 오후 3:07
    2020년 7월 14일 화요일 오후 1:45