none
SharePoint Extract to local harddrive

질문

• Hi All,

We are planning a up coming migration from SP2013 to SP2016. However, the target platform is outside so the data being imported needs to be extracted to a harddrive.

The requirement is to retain the SIte Collection structure and copy only files who have a column named Colour containing the data Green in it to the harddrive. i can create the structure and only copy files containing the Green in the Colour column, i can also place these files as In-Place records after so nobody can "Easily" edit them. 

However, the customer has now stipulated that the original File properties are retained, i.e. Last modified date and created date. But i can't seem to get them to retain this through powershell as Filestream and binarywriter do not seem to allow this as effectively is recreating the file. I have told them that SP metadata is lost no matter what and would have to extract that through an xml file, but they are insisting that the file properties are retained. I know if you go into the file itself you can see the origin properties but that is not useful for them. Is there another way in which i can do this?

Thanks

JA 

• 편집됨 grizzly704 2018년 5월 17일 목요일 오후 12:34
    2018년 5월 17일 목요일 오후 12:34

모든 응답

• If doing it yourself you would need to export the metadata for each file to some different structure, like XML.  Then read that XML file when you are importing the files on the other end.  Its doable, but a lot of work.  Most of the third party migration programs provide this kind of functionality.  So it might be cheaper to buy than to build.

Another possibility for doing it yourself is to migrate the specific files to be exported to a hierarchy in a new content database (new site collection).  Then you could backup the SQL database, detach it from SharePoint, restore it to the new SQL server and attach it to the Web Application there.  That would automatically migrate it from 2013 to 2016 and preserve both a site structure and file metadata.

Paul Stork SharePoint Server MVP
    Owner/Principal Architect: Don't Pa..Panic Consulting
    Blog: http://dontpapanic.com/blog
    Twitter: Follow @pstork
    Please remember to mark your question as 'answered' if this solves your problem.

2018년 5월 17일 목요일 오후 12:44
  • Hi Paul,

Unfortunately the SQL DB method is a no go as the files need to be flat filed and then the new company will upload them. They have certain file types allowed and SQL DB or *.cmp files are not allowed so they have specified flat files. That would have been good if they had not then changed and advised that the File properties need to be retained. Incidentally you wouldn't happen to know of any 3rd party programmes, i have tried metalogix but unfortuanately they can't filter out specific files like i need, and Sharegate doesn't do it?

Cheers

John

john adams

2018년 5월 17일 목요일 오후 12:52
  • Sharegate will do the export, not sure about the filtering since I haven't tried that.  But as you will see Sharegate exports the metadata to a seperate XML file.  It can be reapplied via Sharegate when you import.

One possible workaround.  Both Sharegate and Metalogix allow automation of the migration using PowerShell.  You might be able to use the PowerShell to control the filtering.

I assume this is some kind of merger/acquisition situation.  At least that is where I've seen this kind of requirement in the past.

Paul Stork SharePoint Server MVP
    Owner/Principal Architect: Don't Pa..Panic Consulting
    Blog: http://dontpapanic.com/blog
    Twitter: Follow @pstork
    Please remember to mark your question as 'answered' if this solves your problem.

2018년 5월 18일 금요일 오후 1:13
  • Hi Paul,

I have now created a script that achieves this. MX and Sharegate although they do what you say, Sharegate cannot filter, so would need to create a unique view for the column. However, i have now(with help) created a script that will download the whole structure prefix if its a site or lib, only download files that have the specific column data and while downloading prefix the file name with the last modified date from SharePoint. This will allow the customer to search or organise files based on their last modified date. It's taken a while but it's now doing what it needs.

Incidentally, i met with Metalogix and although the demo they did worked, they misunderstood the requirement, and later apologised as their content matrix tool will not download a site collection and allow the filtering of of columns.

Thanks for your effort most appreciated :)

john adams

2018년 5월 22일 화요일 오전 9:19