none
June 2018 IE11 Cumulative updatess not offered to clients

질문

• Has anyone noticed this month the 'Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 11 for Windows 2012 R2 (KB4230450)' is not downloaded by clients if the the '2018-06 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows Server 2012 R2 (KB4284815)' is also approved ?

I know the rollup includes the IE11 update but in previous months both updates would get downloaded and I assume if the rollup got installed first the iE11 updte would be skipped.

This also applies for IE11 update for 2008 R2, Windows 7

Needed count also shows as 0

The May IE11 update which I still have approved is showing a needed count for computers still to get the update.

Has the detection rules changed for the IE11 updates ?

Regards

2018년 6월 13일 수요일 오전 9:24

모든 응답

• In https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4230450/cumulative-security-update-for-internet-explorer I found these two remarks in the "Important"-section:

The fixes that are included in this Security Update for Internet Explorer (KB 4230450) are also included in the June 2018 Security Monthly Quality Rollup. Installing either the Security Update for Internet Explorer or the Security Monthly Quality Rollup installs the fixes that are in this update.

This Security Update for Internet Explorer is not applicable for installation on a computer on which the Security Monthly Quality Rollup or the Preview of Monthly Quality Rollup from June 2018 (or a later month) is already installed. This is because those updates contain all the fixes that are in this Security Update for Internet Explorer.

So I think it works as designed.

*** Update *** @readwrite you are correct and I am wrong: Although the update is fully included in the Security Monthly Quality Rollup it should be detected as "Needed" and also should be downloaded. Sure Microsoft must rework the detection part of this update.

• 편집됨 YellowShark 2018년 6월 14일 목요일 오전 8:22
    2018년 6월 13일 수요일 오후 3:39
  • I know the security monthly quality rollup does include the fixes for IE11, however for clients which haven't yet installed the rollup I would expect the IE11 update to be reported as 'Needed' for these clients.

Once the client has installed the rollup then yes they shouldn't appear in the 'needed' report for IE11

For May and previous months both the IE11 and security monthly quality rollup updates are reported as 'Needed'. 

I have 4 windows 2008 R2 servers that still need patching with May updates and these servers both appear in the 'needed' reports for IE11 and the rollup

Something has changed this month and it looks like someone else is seeing the same issue https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/51f8fa40-9867-4b16-8bd7-3f55885d8400/kb4230450-ie-cumulative-update-not-being-detected-as-needed-through-wsus?forum=winserverwsus

Sometimes our IT security department want us to push out the IE11 update immediately if an active exploit has been reported in the wild but still allow us time to fully test the rollup so we need the ability to release just the IE update. If it is not detected as 'needed' then this is not gong to work

Regards

2018년 6월 14일 목요일 오전 7:26
  • As the KB for the IE11 update states it is included in the Monthly Quality update

This seems to be a departure from the normal patching methodology from MS? All this year we have had IE11 cumulative  security updates appearing as separate detected WSUS patches at our clients 

2018년 6월 14일 목요일 오전 11:31
  • Is anybody else concerned that on top of this issue of the latest patch not showing as required, the superseded patch from March: KB4096040 now IS showing as required again?
    2018년 6월 14일 목요일 오후 1:57
  • I have not noticed KB4096040  showing as needed in my estate.
    2018년 6월 14일 목요일 오후 2:17
  • June 2018 IE11 updates now reporting as needed after sync with Microsoft update servers over night :-)

2018년 6월 15일 금요일 오전 6:50
  • yes, i see the new revision has been released and it now being detected as available

Revsion

That said, if the Monthly Quality Rollup for June is already installed its not detected a applicable. 

• 편집됨 shocko 2018년 6월 15일 금요일 오전 11:09
    2018년 6월 15일 금요일 오전 11:01